Too early to celebrate but...

Options
Until recently I really believed overweight people (me) were predisposed to be that way (I know, what an excuse). Due to an incurable lung disease I can't exercise too aerobically. I can and try to walk about 4 kilometres (almost 3 miles) a few days a week and some gardening (mainly mowing the grass), but that's it. I can't jog and definitely can't run without collapsing and coughing up a lung. No, I never smoked...

My doctor's simple philosophy was not to worry about exercise, just eat less food. I never thought it could work. 85 days ago I met MFP (we'd met before but this time I took the relationship a bit more serious).

Today I stepped on the scales and have lost 9 kilograms (almost 20 pounds). Still have 19 kilos to go but just wanted to share this great milestone.

Thanks MFP for making it simple and you guys for all of your wonderful, inspirational and funny stories.

Micheal

Replies

• happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Tht's awesome!!! Keep it going adn slow n steady...u will be where u want.
    Congratulations!!!
  • sushpandey
    sushpandey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    very well done, you are the inspiration. take care and smile. LOL.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That's so great ...congratulations..it's never to early to celebrate the mini milestones. I have a few of them instead of one far far away from where I am now... Keep up the good work. Have you tried weights? or walking in the pool?
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Great job so far! That's wonderful. Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Very good.I know what it's like not doing exercise, while we are trying to lose weight.
    I am suffering from fibromialgia and I cannot do heavy work out, even walking continuously for 40 minutes,I have to split the exercise into three sessions, that too few days of a week.I do not want to take the medication,but I am managing.The good news for you is weight loss.Keep going. One day you reach your goal.Good luck.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Fantastic job so far!!
  • april1445
    Options
    Simply awesome.
  • trexxie1
    trexxie1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Michael. Congratulations on your journey! I too have an incurable / chronic airway issue (narrow trachea - picture breathing through a straw ALL the time) that does not allow me to do much intensive aerobic activity at all. Slow and steady is how I have to do it. Although I have never had too much of a weight issue, at my last doctor's appointment I was told I need to excersize more to maximize my health because of my issues. Because of how bad my breathing can sound, I only work out in my basement by myself. I am just too self-conscious. NO - it is not something I can EVER make better - but I live with it. Congratulations again and keep at it!!
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Too early to celebrate??? NO WAY! Congrats on your progress... You are doing a wonderful job and I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy cure for your lung condition. So while you are losing weight and becoming more healthy, you might as well claim the victory over your lungs too!!!!

All is well !
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Nice work! When you hit your goal weight you should make a poster with your picture and a tag line at the bottom that says, "I can't breathe, what's your excuse" LOL

Too soon?

Seriously tho, it was hard for me and I workout 5 times a week...nice job!
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Michael. Congratulations on your journey! I too have an incurable / chronic airway issue that does not allow me to do much intensive aerobic activity at all. Slow and steady is how I have to do it. Although I have never had too much of a weight issue, at my last doctor's appointment I was told I need to excersize more to maximize my health because of my issues. Because of how bad my breathing can sound, I only work out in my basement by myself. I am just too self-conscious. NO - it is not something I can EVER make better - but I live with it. Congratulations again and keep at it!!

I pray for your recovery too ! Have a great week!
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Great job!

Also great profile icon --- Donnie Darko rules! Cellar door!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Awesome milestone, great job on maintaining your dedication :) Here's to seeing your next milestone update! :)
  • Michealwho
    Michealwho Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your kinds words, prayers and support are very welcome.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Very nice, you're almost at your goal! You're almost there :)
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Grats!!!

oh...and wake up Donnie... ;P
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Congrats. That is great!
  • Mollysous
    Options
    Way to go! You are well on the way to being a much healthier you! And it's never too early to celebrate, always celebrate the steps it takes you to reach a goal, not just the goal itself!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! Yard by yard it's really hard, inch by inch, it's a cinch! LOL! I can't think of any more. You're doing great, no matter how long it takes. Every little success is important, and you should celebrate along the way. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!