Advice on working out after beign sore from the day before

Options
I will be starting BBL today. I've never worked out before and i'm excited and can't wait to start on this. I am 29 yr.'s old 5'-0" and weight 133 lbs. No kids so therefore I feel the need to be in shape and lift my butt some. I've been married for 2 years and the weight just keeps piling up. My butt has become flat. I'm hoping this will work for me. I tried the basic and half of the bum bum video yesterday to see what it was about before I start and today my legs feel so sore. Do you guys know if it's ok to workout even if you are sore? I really want to do this but i'm afraid to strain a muscle if I workout while being sore. Any advice will really help. Thanks

Replies

• cwsikes
    Options
    I always work out if I'm sore unless I think I'm actually injured. I find some kind of physical activity will help to get all the ickiness out and make me feel better after the workout than before.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think there are different levels of sore. If you're feeling a bit sore and achy, make sure you are stretching and warming up/cooling down. I find on days I skip the warm up, my muscles get more sore.

If you strain your muscles so hard you can barely walk or lift your arms, take a day or two off. First day I started resistance and weight training I did one-legged glute bridges as described in the plan I was following. The next day those muscles were so sore and tight I seriously could barely walk and was limping all over the place. That's when you might want to take a day or two off, lol.

Also might want to invest in a foam roller and massage any persistently sore muscles to release the tension, they're cheap and totally worth it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It is totally ok as long as you're just sore and not injured. Take some extra time at the beginning to warm up a LOT and stretch a LITTLE, I find that once I'm all warm again the soreness gets a lot better (at least until after the workout).

And I agree with sybrix, if you're so sore that you're going to be off balance or have bad form, you might be better to take a day off than to risk hurting yourself by tripping or falling over. But in most cases, getting yourself good and warm and moving around is really the best way to make it feel better.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    if your muscles hurt because you haven't trained it in that way much or before, then the soreness is awesome because it means you are building the muscle. If you want to work on the same muscles again, you probably need at least a day break for the muscle to repair itself and learn how to protect you from the same exercise next time. But you don't need to wait for the soreness to go away, in fact most of the time that type of soreness feels better when you exercise or walk. It can be worse on the second day though (pain wise), so you can take a pain killer and still do your workout.

Slow achey pain that shows up the day after is good, sharp stabby immediate pain while exercising is usually bad.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's just sore muscles, work through it. Usually once you get moving it will go away. When it stops being sore you need to bump up your workout.
  • nattleattle
    Options
    It is better to work through the soreness than to let your sore muscles sit until they are not sore anymore. I have noticed that if you work through it, they "heal" faster and you won't be sore for as many days as you could be if you didn't work out at all days after. My advice would be to stretch the sore muscles (lightly and not painful) but do most of your work out for parts of the body that are not sore. I meet with a personal trainer twice a week and we stretch and do light exercises to help the sore parts of the body and then focus more on other parts of the body that are not sore.

I do agree with taking rest days if you have injured yourself. Most of the time, you will be able to tell if you are just sore or if something is really injured. Myself and a lot of people I have been around are encouraged to take rest days even if you feel you do not need them. Letting your muscles heal is as important as building those muscles. :)

Switching up your routine by changing what muscles and exercises you will do that session will keep you motivated and less likely to be sore every time. Proper technique and warm up/cool downs will help with soreness as well.
  • Bren_Bren
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I did workout last night even with soreness. It felt like it was going away after a while but it's still there. It's not so bad i made it through the whole program. I will continue to warm up and stretch for these days to come. It does help. Thank you guys for your great advice. :happy:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If it's just sore muscles, work through it. Usually once you get moving it will go away. When it stops being sore you need to bump up your workout.

This. ^^^ :happy: