Distance runners

Options
Hi fellow runners! I'm a long time distance runner (61 marathons/ultras), but have taken a couple years off from running. I went through a "burn out" period, where running was no longer fun for me. Well, I'm finally back to enjoying it. I've committed to a half-marathon on December 1st in Seattle. I'm creating this thread for support for other runners this fall. I plan to post here weekly to report my mileage and rate my nutrition. My eating habits swayed off track a little, so now it's time to dial it in and get serious. Lean, mean running machine, right? Feel free to message me directly if you have any running specific questions. Thanks for stopping by! :happy:

Replies

• megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I ran for 30 minutes today. I feel great.
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    Wish I could pull off a marathon. I ran a 10k 2 years ago @1hr 6min and it killed me. My weekly runs consist of 11mpm 5k run then when I enter fund raiser events, my time will drop under 11 mpm.
  • Targonis
    Options
    I started getting back into running back in July after over 20 years, not to mention over 100 pounds of additional weight(I was super skinny back when I was 18). Since those days of jog 1 minute, walk 3 minutes, I am finally back to the point of jogging one 10K run(not race) per week, with a 13-16 mile per week average for my running. Work has gotten in the way of setting a solid SCHEDULE, but I am feeling pretty good about the progress I have made so far.

For those who are getting into running for the first time and feel that an 11 minute/mile pace is tough for them, here is my own input as someone who has more than a couple of pounds to lose. It may be a bit long, but I tend to put a lot into one post, rather than making 20 posts. Sorry about that...

So, first off, those who are trying to get into shape by running should always check with a doctor to have your heart checked. Be sure to TELL the doctor that your goal is to get into running, and you want to make sure your heart can handle it. You do NOT want to fall over from having a heart attack while running, and even if you are in your 30s or 40s, it will be a good idea, just so you KNOW it is safe.

Next, I can't stress enough how useful it is to use a heart rate monitor. The ones with a chest strap and link to a watch-style "computer" will let you easily check your heart rate while running. If you use a heart rate monitor, you can be sure you are not pushing yourself too hard for the first mile, which will limit how far you can go. One mistake many runners make is to push too hard, and then they can't complete their distance goals. You can get what I consider an "entry level" runners watch like the Polar RS300X for $90 or less if you go online, though you should pick one that has the features you are looking for, which may cost more.

So, if you are now wondering WHY you should bother to invest in a heart rate monitor, the key is that your heart rate is a better indicator of how hard your body is working than just a "feeling". You may feel like you are going too slow, but if your heart rate is up in the 85% of your max heart rate range or above, then you are actually pushing your body, and you really won't be able to go much faster, no matter how much you may want to. Generally, you want to be running at around 65-75 percent of your max heart rate, and if you make sure to stay in that range, you SHOULD be able to run any distance your body has been conditioned to run. For myself, that means keeping my heart rate at 156 or below, since above that rate, my body is just pushing too hard to keep my aerobic and anaerobic respiration balanced. If you are pushing into the range where your cells just can't get enough oxygen to produce energy in an efficient way, that will be a HUGE limit on your endurance. So, just use your heart as a guide to your training. I won't go into how to find your max heart rate, because that is its own discussion, and you will find a LOT of articles on the subject of max heart rate.

To Firefighter4e, that may be why your times are where they are. My own times are also like that in training, where I generally run at a 11-12 minute/mile pace right now when running a 10K, because my heart rate is up into the 160s when I am doing an 11 minute/mile pace(I can do 5.1 miles in 56 minutes, but that is about it).

Now, linked to your heart rate is your weight. The heavier you are, the harder your body has to work in order to do ANY exercise, though where your body keeps the weight will affect how different exercises apply. For those who need to lose a LOT of weight, riding a bike will be a bit safer than running. I need to lose another 35 pounds at this point, and THAT is what is holding me back at the moment. So, you may not think about it, but when you have "extra pounds" that you want to lose, your body has to carry all that weight with you whenever you are walking, running, or even biking. This means your body has to work harder than if you were super thin, and that will push up your heart rate. Lose weight, and your body doesn't have to work as hard for doing the same level of exercise, and you will see it in your heart rate.

From all of this, do not discount that you DO need to work your way up when it comes to distance. Running long distances requires conditioning your body to handle the abuse that running puts on your ligaments, tendons, and joints. The harder you run, the more "push" you put on your feet, shins, and ankles. You hear about shin splints and other injuries like knee problems, and that comes from people who assume that their bodies can handle abuse the way a teenager can. So, start slow, be careful, and ALWAYS watch for little "warning pains", that may indicate you need to stretch more, ice the muscles, or even just take a day off here and there. I personally need a day or two off from running after doing a 6.2 mile run, but I can do a 4 mile run 4 days or more in a row without a problem. Again, it all comes down to conditioning, and improving your fitness.

Finally, to JessicaFB, I hope your first week of training is going well so far, and look forward to hearing how long you are running each day, or what your training program is. I may have a long long way to go before I run my first marathon(I expect it may take another 1.5 years before my body is READY to take the abuse of 26.2 miles of straight running), but that won't stop me from taking the steps needed to get there!
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Excellent work, Megan!!! Any soreness today? You lift weights also?
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Thank you, CarsonRuns!!! :)
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I started getting back into running back in July after over 20 years, not to mention over 100 pounds of additional weight(I was super skinny back when I was 18). Since those days of jog 1 minute, walk 3 minutes, I am finally back to the point of jogging one 10K run(not race) per week, with a 13-16 mile per week average for my running. Work has gotten in the way of setting a solid SCHEDULE, but I am feeling pretty good about the progress I have made so far.

For those who are getting into running for the first time and feel that an 11 minute/mile pace is tough for them, here is my own input as someone who has more than a couple of pounds to lose. It may be a bit long, but I tend to put a lot into one post, rather than making 20 posts. Sorry about that...

So, first off, those who are trying to get into shape by running should always check with a doctor to have your heart checked. Be sure to TELL the doctor that your goal is to get into running, and you want to make sure your heart can handle it. You do NOT want to fall over from having a heart attack while running, and even if you are in your 30s or 40s, it will be a good idea, just so you KNOW it is safe.

Next, I can't stress enough how useful it is to use a heart rate monitor. The ones with a chest strap and link to a watch-style "computer" will let you easily check your heart rate while running. If you use a heart rate monitor, you can be sure you are not pushing yourself too hard for the first mile, which will limit how far you can go. One mistake many runners make is to push too hard, and then they can't complete their distance goals. You can get what I consider an "entry level" runners watch like the Polar RS300X for $90 or less if you go online, though you should pick one that has the features you are looking for, which may cost more.

So, if you are now wondering WHY you should bother to invest in a heart rate monitor, the key is that your heart rate is a better indicator of how hard your body is working than just a "feeling". You may feel like you are going too slow, but if your heart rate is up in the 85% of your max heart rate range or above, then you are actually pushing your body, and you really won't be able to go much faster, no matter how much you may want to. Generally, you want to be running at around 65-75 percent of your max heart rate, and if you make sure to stay in that range, you SHOULD be able to run any distance your body has been conditioned to run. For myself, that means keeping my heart rate at 156 or below, since above that rate, my body is just pushing too hard to keep my aerobic and anaerobic respiration balanced. If you are pushing into the range where your cells just can't get enough oxygen to produce energy in an efficient way, that will be a HUGE limit on your endurance. So, just use your heart as a guide to your training. I won't go into how to find your max heart rate, because that is its own discussion, and you will find a LOT of articles on the subject of max heart rate.

To Firefighter4e, that may be why your times are where they are. My own times are also like that in training, where I generally run at a 11-12 minute/mile pace right now when running a 10K, because my heart rate is up into the 160s when I am doing an 11 minute/mile pace(I can do 5.1 miles in 56 minutes, but that is about it).

Now, linked to your heart rate is your weight. The heavier you are, the harder your body has to work in order to do ANY exercise, though where your body keeps the weight will affect how different exercises apply. For those who need to lose a LOT of weight, riding a bike will be a bit safer than running. I need to lose another 35 pounds at this point, and THAT is what is holding me back at the moment. So, you may not think about it, but when you have "extra pounds" that you want to lose, your body has to carry all that weight with you whenever you are walking, running, or even biking. This means your body has to work harder than if you were super thin, and that will push up your heart rate. Lose weight, and your body doesn't have to work as hard for doing the same level of exercise, and you will see it in your heart rate.

From all of this, do not discount that you DO need to work your way up when it comes to distance. Running long distances requires conditioning your body to handle the abuse that running puts on your ligaments, tendons, and joints. The harder you run, the more "push" you put on your feet, shins, and ankles. You hear about shin splints and other injuries like knee problems, and that comes from people who assume that their bodies can handle abuse the way a teenager can. So, start slow, be careful, and ALWAYS watch for little "warning pains", that may indicate you need to stretch more, ice the muscles, or even just take a day off here and there. I personally need a day or two off from running after doing a 6.2 mile run, but I can do a 4 mile run 4 days or more in a row without a problem. Again, it all comes down to conditioning, and improving your fitness.

Finally, to JessicaFB, I hope your first week of training is going well so far, and look forward to hearing how long you are running each day, or what your training program is. I may have a long long way to go before I run my first marathon(I expect it may take another 1.5 years before my body is READY to take the abuse of 26.2 miles of straight running), but that won't stop me from taking the steps needed to get there!

Thank you for sharing all this helpful info with us! I feel that running can be one of the most dangerous sports if one does not have body awareness. I'm also a running coach and personal trainer, so I've heard about all kinds of injuries from people doing too much, too fast, too soon. I myself have had a ton of injuries in the past....that's what made me continue my education to get it right and not jeopardize my future ability to run. Be careful, folks!
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Yesterday's run was EPIC! I got my first double digit mileage for this training cycle, a 10 miler. It felt really good and I finished it in 86 minutes (~8:30-8:40 pace, depending on the hills). Today I'm a little tight in the hips with sore buns. Some foam rolling will be in order for this girl.
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I also have ran a marathon last year for the first time.
  • jrfarms88
    jrfarms88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm running onthe other side of the state, shooting for my first Marathon in June,
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I also have ran a marathon last year for the first time.

Awesome!! Which one did you do? Are you training for anything now?
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I'm running onthe other side of the state, shooting for my first Marathon in June,

Eastern or Western WA? Which one? My favorite WA marathon is Yakima :)
  • megan_h26
    Options

• megan_h26
    Options

I do lift weights from time to time. I lost 2 lbs today. yay
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 18 months, went from c25k to a full marathon ( Toronto, May 2013) and have fallen deep into a spiral of funk..running seems almost impossible to me these days and I have to force myself to get . I am looking to run San Francisco marathon next July and I have a place for Berlin.

I need somebody to kick my *kitten* please. And kick it very hard indeed.
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well, last month I ran my first ever 10K. I did it in 1:02:30. It wasn't too bad, and I was happy with my result. I have committed to a half marathon in February, and I want to run a 25K in May, and then I want to do a full marathon next October. I live in Grand Rapids, MI. So, I'll be running the "Groundhog Day Half Marathon", the "Fifth/Third Riverbank Run" and the "Grand Rapids Marathon". That's my goal, but I am having a hard time finding time to run with my new baby just joining this world.

Here's to running!
  • slimster1970
    slimster1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 18 months, went from c25k to a full marathon ( Toronto, May 2013) and have fallen deep into a spiral of funk..running seems almost impossible to me these days and I have to force myself to get . I am looking to run San Francisco marathon next July and I have a place for Berlin.

No *kitten* kicking required, perhaps the most dedicated person on this site!!!

Certainly inspire me mate
  • JessicaFB
    Options

Thanks for the buddy request on here! Wow, your progress is amazing! Great job! I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time lately. Are you only running? Do you do any cross training or wt lifting?
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Well, last month I ran my first ever 10K. I did it in 1:02:30. It wasn't too bad, and I was happy with my result. I have committed to a half marathon in February, and I want to run a 25K in May, and then I want to do a full marathon next October. I live in Grand Rapids, MI. So, I'll be running the "Groundhog Day Half Marathon", the "Fifth/Third Riverbank Run" and the "Grand Rapids Marathon". That's my goal, but I am having a hard time finding time to run with my new baby just joining this world.

Here's to running!

Haha, I'm originally from Upper MI! Cool! Congratulations on the new baby! Do you guys have a running stroller? May be helpful once the weather warms up some. How many days per week have you been able to run? I'll ask you too: cross training or wt lifting involved?
  • JessicaFB
    Options

I do lift weights from time to time. I lost 2 lbs today. yay

Congratulations!! Let me know if you need any help with that wt lifting to help your running. I may have some ideas.