gaining 4 pounds in a day...

Options
so this morning after breakfast i got on the scale and was surprised to see 136.4 pounds!!! Yay! Then this evening after eating all my food for the day i stepped on *just to see* and it said 140.6 pounds :(

Is this just water weight? will i see the low number again tmw morning...does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    My dad the MD always tells me not to weigh myself too often or to take the weight to heart. He says a good poop can cause you to lose several pounds as well as water weight, and periods, etc. Your weight should be fluctuating back and forth by several pounds even. That's normal and to be expected. :) I like to go by my measurements more than my weight.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've been told its water weight, its weight from clothes your wearing, it could be weight because you were eating and drinking all day....

So far I've mostly seen mine go down (depends on if I ate really late at night or not). My weights fluctuated between 2-8lbs in one day...it is seriously not cool. I try not to weigh myself any other time except in the morning and possibly only once a week if I can (but I'm a bit addicted) because those fluctuations don't play along well with my emotional eating habits haha
  • tishieb
    tishieb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your true weight is first thing in the morning after you pee.
    You fluctuate throughout the day which is what you've recently learned.
    I bet when you wake up tomorrow morning you will be happier on the scale :) Watch and seee !!!
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well your true weight is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, after the bathroom trip ofcourse .. the added weight at the end of the day is a lot of things, water, sodium, food, exercise, yes even exercise can give a false reading at end of day. You workout causing your muscles to swell up which they retain water to help in the healing process adding weight. If I do a huge 2000-3000 calorie burn day like on hiking days or whatever. I won't weight myself for 3-4 days after because it'll show a 2-5 lb gain which goes away and then some after the soreness and swelling goes away. So yes weight only in mornings before your first meal and that's about it.. good luck..
  • fit_nyc
    fit_nyc Posts: 25
    Options
    ...If I do a huge 2000-3000 calorie burn day like on hiking days or whatever. I won't weight myself for 3-4 days after because it'll show a 2-5 lb gain which goes away and then some after the soreness and swelling goes away...

I've always wondered why I gained weight after a big workout. Often it would even discourage me. Thanks for the info.
  • calthine
    calthine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As long as I lose a pound a week I pretty much ignore the daily fluctuations.
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't know why one would do that to themselves lol....Just don't do it. It'll make you depressed for absolutely NO REASON. Weigh yourself every few days, if you can resist the scale and do it in the mornings with minimal clothing.
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am also 4lbs up from morning. It could be that fluctuation and/but my food diary says I ate a pound today. :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    half a gallon of water weighs four pounds..so if your drinking enough water it could easily make you weight go up
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    lady, unless you ate 14000 (yes, that's fourteen thousand) calories last night after you weighed yourself, it's water weight, and it happens to everyone. I wouldn't worry about it.