Single Momma Weight Loss Question

Options
Here's a question for all you single mommas! Or dads too! Okay, I'm a single mom of a 5 year old who attends kindergarten. I work until 5 every day with little time for homework, playtime, dinner, baths, etc. What do you all do for exercise/cardio? I just had to sell my treadmill because it didn't fit in my house. Looking for any and all suggestions! Thanks a bunch!!!!

Replies

• linzchapates
    Options
    Hey! I am a single mom of a 5 year old as well :) I work full time mon-friday 5 am-2:30pm, I get my exercise in in the 2:30-3:30 span my daughter is still in school... also, I have learned to ask for help if I need it; I'll ask a friend to watch her for an hour while I work out... I make the time where I can and if I can't one day that's ok too, i'll try again the next day :)
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm not a single mom but had a very similar reason for the weight gain as my kids were young and "going off and exercising" was not an option.....I'd say perhaps if you are needed there at home with your 5 yr old that the best option might be video/youtube workouts. Then you can do them (mornings or after child is in bed) and never be away from your bunchkin. Start there and move to maybe an extra 40 minutes after work for a quick 5k when you feel ready :) Best of luck Mama cause that role is an important one just like taking care of yourself is :) hard to do it all sometimes but you'll find a balance :)
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    I work 8-5 as well. While I do have a treadmill, I still do videos: zumba, Tae Bo, Hip Hop Abs or other @ ~4am :)
  • katielweaver
    katielweaver Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys!! This really helps. Being a single parent is soooo hard because you juggle so much and yes, that is why I'm fat. Lol. I may need to resort to getting up at 4am. I'm NOT a morning person but I'm determined to not be FAT FOREVER! :)
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    My son is much older now. But when he was littler I would let him ride his bike and I would walk making sure he stopped in front of the last house before the corner for safety reasons. I could keep him in sight and we both got exercise.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi im not a single mom but I want to say all you women are AMAZING! much respect to you all!
    You could look into your local rec center and see if they offer a playgroup or daycare facility that you can use while you go take a yoga or a spin class.. alot of the fit mommas I see in these classes use the childminding facility.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm in school full time and I work part time and have managed to lose over 60 pounds so far. I take advantage of some breaks I have between classes or I have about an hour in the morning right when my daughter gets on the bus. In the summer we took some small hikes and walks around parks and trails and she also loved it. Its getting to cold for that now. Also, I'm lucky to have family not to far away that will take her for an hour if I don't have extra time.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Single mama here too! My daughter is 3. What currently works for me is working out on my lunch break at the gym at work. I can usually get 30-40 mins in at least 4x a week this way. I've also started doing the 30S in the evenings because it's only 20 minutes. My little one likes to try and do it with me :)

I used to go to LA Fitness and pay $10 extra a month for the Kids Club. She liked it and I did too but they are only open certain hours and not on holidays.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for all you single mommas! Or dads too! Okay, I'm a single mom of a 5 year old who attends kindergarten. I work until 5 every day with little time for homework, playtime, dinner, baths, etc. What do you all do for exercise/cardio? I just had to sell my treadmill because it didn't fit in my house. Looking for any and all suggestions! Thanks a bunch!!!!
    Workout videos if you need something extra, but since you want to spend time playing with your child, why not do something active in the time you have? You both get time together and exercise so you can lose weight and she (he?) can start developing good habits.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm also a single mom to a 5-year-old. I run during my lunch break and tend to work out after she has gone to bed. In my basement, I have it set up so I can cycle or use the elliptical or do workout DVDs. Up until it got colder recently, I was able to cycle with my daughter on a tag-a-long bike or in a trailer or she would sit in a running stroller (even at 5 years old) if I gave her a book or a DVD to watch. I'm not comfortable with using sitters etc. with her since we already spend so much time apart with school and daycare. She's with her dad every other weekend, so I also can get longer workouts in during that time.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Insanity Videos

Also do work out routines from this webiste: it's 100% free and most routines take only 30 min- with little to no equipment needed.

ashotofadrenaline.net
  • Laura741
    Laura741 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! Single mom of an almost 4 year old! I workout either in the mornings before work and (hopefully) before he wakes up but most of the time I go to the gym on my lunch break from work. :) Also if I can talk him into going for a walk I put him in the stroller and hope for the best :)
  • Pinkpeonies26
    Pinkpeonies26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Single Mom here with two daughters ages 5 and 7. I'm still trying to schedule in some time to workout but my plan is to do workout videos (Jillian Michaels & Billy Blanks). Also I would suggest buying a jump rope and some hand weights...I dont know if you have one in your are but in MD we have a 5 and Below store. I bought some weights from there for 5 Bucks each. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps...
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Insanity Videos

Also do work out routines from this webiste: it's 100% free and most routines take only 30 min- with little to no equipment needed.

ashotofadrenaline.net

Thanks for posting this! I will check it out today :)
    I have 3 children, 2 in school and a baby. I have been using my baby for some simple exercises (when he wants to participate lol) like lifting him, squatting with him and I will take him for long walks with hills so it benefits my legs (and almost gives me a heart attack! lol) I am lucky as I am still at home with him, so when he sleeps during the day I try and do at least 30 minutes of aerobics or strength exercises.

Before I had my baby, I worked in childcare and found it frustrating to work full time while trying to exercise, so I ended up taking the opportunity to run around the playground when it was outside play time with the children. We would play tiggy or catching games. But I realise not everyone has that opportunity! It will be different when I return to work as I won't be in childcare anymore. I'm not quite sure how I will manage things then. I hope you can find a good balance that works though!
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and I take my son (15 months) to the gym daycare early morning... I don't work typical hours, but I still find the time to go at least 3 times/week. I make sure to lift weights those 3 days because that is what will make the most positive difference in body shape and composition, imo of course :) I've read many times that all you need is 3-4 strength training workouts per week. If you work the typical M-F then try to go once during the week and then Saturday and Sunday.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    i am not a single mom (but might as well be)....i just started to exercise on my lunch break at the YMCA. baby at daycare during that time. we shall see how it goes. but i have a good feeling this could work.
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 am to get my workout in. The first week sucked! After that it's turned into a habit.
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Single mom here! I can't get up early, s I do my workouts at night. I do T25 (it's only 25 minutes!) and recently started 30 Day Shred.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    gym with childcare is a great bet.

also, tandem bicycling- great exercise for you, fun for the kid! (check out Adam's trail-a-bike)

when at playground, do chin ups!
    use child to do OHP (ok maybe bench press)
    Take the kiddo to the pool to swim.
    Take kiddo hiking (you probably will have to carry a lot of extra weight when 5 year old gets tired)

There's a lot of fun stuff you can do that is exercise that includes the kiddo. Just grab life by the balls! ;)
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Invest in some at home workout videos! That's what I do! I have a 2 year old and I will usually work out while my son eats dinner or possibly put on cartoons for him to watch. You could also try including him. I do a workout called Turbo Fire and it is super fun and high energy with a ton of jumping. My son loves to do that workout with me!

Also, I just want to give props to all you amazing single momma's that STILL make the time to take care of your body by getting a workout in! You all rock :flowerforyou: