low cal breakfast ideas

Options
hi everyone,

i am preping to start my lifestyle change :) im so excited!!!

im doing good as far as meal planning goes, but im a little stuck on breakfast. anyone have any ideas? hoping for something i can prep the night before and just grab it in the morning.

thanks all!!!!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal.
    Cereal and milk.
    Eggs and bacon.
    Fruit and nuts.
    Ham and cheese sandwich.

... what do you like to eat for breakfast? Eat that at the calorie amount you want.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To add on jwdieter, you can do a protein shake if you are on the go or protein bar. I generally do 4 eggs with salsa and an apple.

Others: cottage cheese, greek yogurt, waffles
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I do 2 eggs in a microwave cooker, I'm weird I like them cold so I do it the night before and put them in a container in the frig to grab and go. Some days I do instant oatmeal. If I'm really ambitious I'll make a batch of steel cut oats and put it in containers. I usually have a no fat yogurt as soon as I get up and take whatever else with me.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    not sure if you like to bake but you could try making a low calorie muffins the day before and grab one in the morning to eat and some milk or whatever sort of drink you enjoy , normally a recipe makes 12 muffins or so , so it gives a few days worth and they can be savory or sweet be creative .
  • RawTasha
    Options
    They sound delicious.
  • sharitapita
    sharitapita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of this at the beginning of the week. Makes 5 servings:

1 cup quinoa (ends up being more once cooked - just follow package instructions)
    1/3 cup dried cranberries
    1/3 cup dried apples, cut into little bits
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup sliced almonds

I also added chia seeds and a little bit of sweetener
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make muffins at the weekend (from a mix, no skill required) and grab them and go.
    Any random piece of fruit - apple, banana, grapes, or whatever else is handy.
    If you aren't opposed to processed foods, Luna bars are a good take it with you breakfast that packs a good protein punch for not many calories.
    Get up 15 minutes earlier and fix scrambled egg whites, which can be eaten on or with cheese toast. (five minute prep tops and ten to eat it.)
    I keep yogurt in the fridge at work and Jif to Go in my desk. If all else fails, I have something to start my day with that didn't come from a vending machine. (That doesn't make it perfect, but it is better than the vending machine)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Greek yogurt with granola and fruit. I portion it out in a ziplock container the night before so when my baby wakes up all I have to do is make him a bottle and pull out my breakfast. (Granola I keep separate in the cabinet, of course. I can't stand soggy granola). I've been doing this for 4 months. .. it's funny because I know I can do anything, really but I just love Greek yogurt.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    i drink 8-12 ounces of almond milk. 30 calories per 8 ounces.
  • aggieali04
    aggieali04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites lately is to make several jars of Refrigerator Oatmeal (recipes on theyummylife.com) in different flavors and eat one in the morning. Easy to throw together at night, pre-portioned in the morning, lots of flavor options, take it and go!
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is the breakfast that I have almost every day:

2 Guerrero Corn tortillas, palm size, 67 cal
    1/4 cup eggbeaters
    1 slice swiss cheese (presliced kind)
    1 T. green Mexican salsa

I throw the tortillas on a pammed grill pan. Pour the eggbeaters in a pammed omelet skillet. Turn the omelet when done on bottom and add a half slice to one side and fold it over. Turn the tortillas after slightly browned on bottom. Add half slice cheese to one tortilla and top with the other. Serve with salsa. I can prepare this in about 5 minutes and it's only 167 calories.
  • KaydeeGeorge
    Options
    WOW!! thank you all for your comments i cant wait to try them!!!!

i never knew preparing would be so hard, im usually a cold turkey kinda girl but i figured that since this is going to me a LIFE change i want to do it the right way!!!
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Another good idea is to keep a handful of hard boiled eggs in the fridge that you can just grab and eat as a snack, with lunch, or whenever. The protein helps keep you full. These other ideas sound good :)

Smoothies are good, but they don't seem satisfying to me. I always make one egg in the morning while I get ready (which might not be easy if you're in a dorm or if your kitchen is far from your bedroom/bathroom) and wrap it with a La Banaderita low carb tortilla and then do either a low fat cheese or light goat cheese spread or a slice of canadian bacon with it. Mmmm. That's under 200 calories.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Get the "Forks over Knives" reicpe book.

My personal fav is sweet potato home fries with egg over them.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I like the Egg White Delight McMuffin sandwich from McDonald's. Only 250 calories! :drinker:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with unsweetened cinnamon applesauce is my current favorite breakfast. I make my own applesauce.
  • Speazzy
    Speazzy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love scrambled egg muffins - they are like little mini quiche minus the crust. Make a batch on Sunday. Heat in microwave for 45 seconds and , "boom" deliciousness!

Ingredients

½ cup turkey sausage (jimmy dean already cooked in red pouch)
    6 eggs and 6 egg whites (equivalent to 12 eggs)
    ½ cup chopped onion
    ½ of a green pepper chopped
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon pepper
    ¼ -½ cup FF or RF shredded cheese

Directions

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add the onion, green pepper, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in sausage and cheese.
    Spoon by 1/3 cupfuls into muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 1 dozen.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i drink 8-12 ounces of almond milk. 30 calories per 8 ounces.

30-45 calories for breakfast? I'm not one of those people who thinks eating breakfast if necessary...but 30-45 calories would just whet my appetite and I'd be hungrier than if I just went without.
  • savannacat94
    Options
    I like to have 2 eggs over hard on a piece of toast no butter, with a glass of coconut milk. Or sometimes a small pancake with sugar free syrup!!!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooooooooooooove Sante Fe Tortilla Company Whole Wheat Wraps from Sam's Club..they have 100 cals, 3.5 g fat, 13 carbs, 7 g fiber and 8 g of protein...I spread it with 2 tbsp of whipped peter pan pb...I am addicted!!!!