Starting to run- Should I spring for shoes?

Options
As a college student, I'm on a very limited budget. The idea of spending anywhere from $80 to $150 for fitted shoes is something that I could manage, but I'd be skimping by in every other area. Are running shoes a necessity? Right now I have some worn out old tennis shoes, so I'm probably due for a new pair anyway, and they somewhat make my feet hurt even while walking. But I have a hard time justifying that kind of price tag.

Replies

• astange83
    Options
    I'd definitely get a pair of shoes that fit well that are dedicated to your running (remember to break in gradually.) I wouldn't necessarily spend a ton just getting into it. If you have a Rack Room Shoes or one of the big name outlet stores near you they are great places to find the pricier shoes for less. But I have found good enough shoes at Walmart or Payless before too. The main thing is you need a shoe that gives your toes space and support your feet.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you are running then a properly fitted running shoe is an absolute necessity! You can do a lot of harm to your body if you are wearing an ill fitting shoe. With running, a shoe is the only 'equipment' you need so really it is a very cost effect sport to get involved in. Shop now, usually you can get a good deal on last years styles, as the 2014 models are now out.
  • Cindy22706
    Cindy22706 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! It is SO important to have good fitting shoes, you could cause so many more problems by having bad shoes. If you wait, I know tons of places will have black Friday sales and what not. I also happen to love roadrunnersports.com, and always go for last seasons models, they are cheaper!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes. Getting fitted properly. Tell them budget is an issue and see if they can fit you in clearance models.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Definitely get shoes and get them from a running store that will check your gait and fit you with a shoe that works for you. You'll avoid a lot of injuries having proper foot support and you won't believe how much easier it makes your run when nothing hurts.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely get a pair of shoes that fit well that are dedicated to your running (remember to break in gradually.) I wouldn't necessarily spend a ton just getting into it. If you have a Rack Room Shoes or one of the big name outlet stores near you they are great places to find the pricier shoes for less. But I have found good enough shoes at Walmart or Payless before too. The main thing is you need a shoe that gives your toes space and support your feet.

Do the opposite of this.

Its expensive, but DO NOT get generic shoes. Go get fitted at a running store. A good store should watch you run and let you take the shoes out for a spin, plus offer a full refund if you don't like them. You should not need to break in the proper pair of shoes. If you can't afford the pair at the running store, go get fitted, find the shoe that fits, and look online (often last years make/colors are on sale, and the is sometimes limited updates to the shoe design on popular models). Running in walmart shoes is like begging for plantar fasciitis.

Think of it this way - pay for the right shoe now so you don't have to pay for physical therapy later
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm sorry to say, but you DO need to go to a running store and have them do a stride analysis and make sure you buy the right shoe. You don't even have to buy a shoe from them, you can always find out what kind of shoe works for your body mechanics and buy them onsale online.

There are essentially 3 types of runners: pronators, supinators and neutrals. This all has to do with your arch, and how much it does or does not flatten as your foot hits the ground and then carries you forward. If you don't get the right kind of shoe to start with, you will end up injured and sidelined before you even get started.

Here is a very quick overview: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/shoes/choosing-a-shoe-the-very-basics/481.html

I cannot overstress the importance of having a trained eye watch you run, fit a pair of shoes, and then watch you run again to make sure it fixes any issues in your stride. For instance, I pronate, but one foot pronates much more than the other.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I know it is a lot of money but it's definitely worth it. Get fitted at a running store. Buy good socks too.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yep go get fitted...when you find one you like get online and buy them..most online shoe stores have free shipping and you can find coupons also..I got a pair the store wanted 180. delivered for 126.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    YES. I didn't get proper fitted running shoes when I first started running, and before long --- I ended up two two bouts of Achilles tendonitis, and two bouts of runners knee. After that, I got properly fitted for good running shoes, and got appropriate inserts--- and eliminated those issues.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Of course, and you should probably buy more than one pair...they wear pretty quickly with daily use.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes are very important. You definitely want to get your stride examined so you know if you over pronate, are neutral, etc.

That said...my best running shoes have been some Sachony's that run $45. The shoes don't have to be pricey. They just need to be the correct model for your stride and fit properly.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have a local running store that I called that said they do fitting for running shoes. You're very right when you say that it's less expensive now to get proper shoes than to injure myself later on.

I'm pretty sure I have an unusual gait anyway and it would be nice to have shoes that actually properly fit me rather than just going into a random shoe store and trying to find something that wouldn't give me plantar fasciitis a week later.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get some dedicated running shoes.
    You don't have to spent 80-150 on running shoes. Shop Amazon or Zappos, or 6pm once you figure out what you need. There are clearance sites all over the internet that sell last years models for deep discounts. I just bought a pair of Merrell trail runners normally 109, for 39.99 from a site called SteepAndCheap.com

First identify what size you really are. Each brand is a little different. If you feel more comfortable getting a 'shoe-pro' from an expensive running store, I won't stop you, but I'm virtually certain you can work the Brannock device (the funny shoe size machine) yourself. I also think its disingenuous to let them fit you, and then not buy from them.

Pick something that is 'neutral' (no motion control, or extra support) Statistically, you probably don't need those features, the vast majority of people will do just fine in plain old running shoes. Especially the ones new to running. The only consideration is if you *know* you have something funny, like anatomically weird ankles, or a really unnatural stride. This would have been pointed out to you before, usually by a doctor.
    Pick a shoe you think is attractive. It sounds funny, but no one wants to run in ugly gear. Even colorblind people.

Go to runningwarehouse.com and look the shoe up you like with ShoeFitr to compare sizes for the ones you can't try in person. most common shoes have the data on them.

Shop for the cheapest price you can find on shoes you like. Go wear 'em out.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    RunBrew: Unfortunately I do have an unnatural stride that has been pointed out to me by my doctor. That is part of the reason that I figured going to get fitted would be more beneficial than trying to figure it out myself (and of course buying the shoes at the store-- I also think it's kind of disingenuous to get fitted and then not buy from them.)
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What matters most is that you are motivated to run. If you feel you need a dedicated pair, then get one. I'm going to go against the grain and state, as a beginner, you do not need dedicated running shoes. You do need shoes which fit properly, but the shoes do not have to be designed for running. If you are able to jog in your current shoes, then the shoes are good enough.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have problem feet so good shoes were a must for me. Within the first week I had knee & shin pain so I bit the bullet and bought good shoes and that immediately went away. If your current shoes hurt to walk in they're going to kill you to run in. The store where I buy mine always has a clearance table so like someone else suggested let them know you're on a tight budget and hopefully they can find you some on sale that will work.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    RunBrew: Unfortunately I do have an unnatural stride that has been pointed out to me by my doctor. That is part of the reason that I figured going to get fitted would be more beneficial than trying to figure it out myself (and of course buying the shoes at the store-- I also think it's kind of disingenuous to get fitted and then not buy from them.)

In that case, yes, I'd find someone who fits shoes for a living. You are the exception to the rule and would actually benefit from proper footwear.
    What makes your stride unnatural? if you don't mind my asking.
  • guroprincess
    Options

In that case, yes, I'd find someone who fits shoes for a living. You are the exception to the rule and would actually benefit from proper footwear.
    What makes your stride unnatural? if you don't mind my asking.

Duck footed (I think that's the term for it?) I brought it up with my doctor and she said that she did notice that my walking was unusual.

My doctor wanted me to get X-rays to see if it had anything to do with my hips or not but they wanted $300 up front and, once again, poor uninsured college student living in USA = no X-rays for me.

Having fitted shoes might actually solve the problems I've been having with my feet in general just from walking, so it'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Edited to add: Along with being kind of out of shape, this is also the reason I'm jogging rather than full out running. Being more conscious of my stride (on a treadmill for example) works but it's hard to keep up 24/7.