Taking a break from weightloss - help/thoughts?

Options
So I've been stuck on a 4 or 5 week plateau now and I'm completely fed up... I think I'm now going to switch my goal to maintain, as I'm happyish with how I look at the moment - I've just got a few more pounds to lose and lots of toning! Has anyone who's been on here for a while ever taken a (controlled!) break from trying to lose weight and found after a 3 week or so break they can start losing again? I really don't want to give up on my goal but I'm so bored of nothing happening! Any thoughts would be really appreciated :smile:

Oh, also, seeing as I plateaued on 1400 cals a day will I gain if I go up to 1700? (my maintenance) should I maybe go up slowly? Don't want to ruin all my hard work!

Replies

• KristenAnnJones
    KristenAnnJones Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising?
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    yeah, I've been exercising really hard! 3-5 times per week. And I thought that maybe I was using the treadmill too much so I changed to high intensity sprinting and now mostly use the elliptical and stairmaster instead. and I strength train... I thought that maybe that was why I'd stopped losing weight so I made all the changes people recommend to break a plateau. Also tried dropping my calories from 1350 to 1200, then tried increasing from 1200 to 1400. And playing around with how many exercise calories I eat. No luck!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Have you been measuring waist, hips, etc? Even though you are staying near the same weight, is it possible that the inches are still improving?

Personally, a weight goal is great for motivating me...but it's just a number. My main goal is to get fit and healthy. If I hit my target weight, great...if I don't hit it, but I am as fit and healthy as I want to be, then I would still be very satisfied.

Have you tried adjusting the carb/fat/protien ratios any?