Calorie budget question

Options
I'm in the beginning stages of calorie counting. I'm also counting protein, so as not to lose muscle. My current caloric limit is 2329 calories (which I arrived at with the help of a BMR calculator and factoring in my exercise using the Harris-Benedict equation) Since this change I've certainly been eating healthier, and hitting, and often exceeding my protein requirement (225 grams a day). Since I'm eating fewer calories than I'm used to and exercising a lot more, I expected to be feeling much hungrier, yet for some reason, after a meal I feel so full that I don't need to eat again for several hours. I've heard so many stories of people who go on calorie budgets and feel like their starving that I'm beginning to wonder if my feeling of fullness is normal. Could I have figured my calories wrong?

Replies

• gonnadothis4JNC
    Options
    protein is more filling and takes longer to "break down" as opposed to carbohydrates which turn to sugar much faster. I can usually eat good healthy protein and not get hungry for quite a while, but if I eat a lot of carbs I am hungry sometimes within an hour or two...hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You've got a pretty decent food budget and protein will keep you satiated longer than eating a lot of carbs so that's probably the biggest factor. Without knowing your stats it would be hard to say if you've chosen a good budget.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm in the beginning stages of calorie counting. I'm also counting protein, so as not to lose muscle. My current caloric limit is 2329 calories (which I arrived at with the help of a BMR calculator and factoring in my exercise using the Harris-Benedict equation) Since this change I've certainly been eating healthier, and hitting, and often exceeding my protein requirement (225 grams a day). Since I'm eating fewer calories than I'm used to and exercising a lot more, I expected to be feeling much hungrier, yet for some reason, after a meal I feel so full that I don't need to eat again for several hours. I've heard so many stories of people who go on calorie budgets and feel like their starving that I'm beginning to wonder if my feeling of fullness is normal. Could I have figured my calories wrong?

If you eat the right kinds of foods, you can feel satisfied even on what seems like a restrictive plan. Proteins and healthy fats and fiber can satisfy you, while the same number of calories in chips and snacks and bready things will leave you feeling hungry even if you've stuffed yourself.
  • robinsondel
    Options
    I just started 2 weeks ago, my daily budget set by MFP is 3010, but I can tell you, that for me, even on days where I come in under 900, I'm not starving. I think it's the better quality eating and more protein.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I just started 2 weeks ago, my daily budget set by MFP is 3010, but I can tell you, that for me, even on days where I come in under 900, I'm not starving. I think it's the better quality eating and more protein.

It's pretty hard to get good nutrition on 900 calories. It isn't all about just seeing who can eat the least. You need to be providing your body with the nutrition and fuel that it needs to operate. You're still in the honeymoon phase of losing but I'd suggest you up your intake before you get to the part where you are so hungry and irritable that you blow the whole thing up. There's no prize here for who can eat the least or lose the fastest.
  • merchan5967
    Options
    Actually I've been taking in a lot of protein so it's starting to make sense.