is 4kg heavy lifting f

Options
ok so i am doing fitnessblender upperbody workouts with 4kg dumbells, do i need to give my muscles a rest day? as this is not really heavy lifting? what do u think? any advice?

Replies

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to weights/ strength training but the lightest weight I lift is 15kg's for bicep curls, so I think I'm safe in saying that 4kg isn't lifting heavy.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The weight doesn't decide whether you're lifting heavy.

How the weight feels to you doing whatever exercise you're doing is what decides whether it's heavy lifting.

It's about incremental progression. You have to build in progression. Choose a program that has progression or make sure you are moving up from 4kg to 4.5kg to 5kg etc.. That's heavy lifting.

And yes you need rest days on any kind of weight lifting or it's cardio.

Your muscles need to rest and re-build bigger.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Heya, I'm new to lifting too, I'm doing "Greg Brookes - 300 Kettle-Bell Challenge", I use a 2kg and a 4kg - I listen to my body - Its recommended that you do lifting 3 to 4 times max per week with this program,
    I'm also a Runner - I do 5 Mile runs 3 times a week & 1 hour of freestyle Swimming a week and mountain bike riding If I can't do a run for whatever reason or just fancy a challenge!

In a nutshell YES your muscles need time to recover, Just 1 day in-between lifting workouts is sufficient.
    Do some research, Don't want to cause yourself an injury!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Can you do more than 12 reps with ease?
    If you can, then your not "heavy lifting".

Concentrate on the big 5 lifts.
    Go and read the pdf on Stronglifts.com
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you need a rest depends on how you feel. Can you use 4 kg on all the lifts with ease? Do you feel like you can do more reps? If so, you are probably fine though I still wouldn't do the weights every day. Fitness Blender has some good HIIT routines and other cardio that you can do when you don't want to lift weights on a day.

Like others have said, what constitutes "heavy lifting" depends on your current strength and ability. For me, when I started, 2 4 kg dumbbells on an overhead press would absolutely have been lifting heavy.
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all for input... I appreciate.