Food Calorie database accuracy?

Options
Hiya, I've been on and off mfp for a while now but made the decision to start today and put my all into it I was just wondering is the food database calories accurate? For example I put in 100g wheaten bread and searched I found 100g wheaten bread but a different brand so I selected it and it said it was 240 calories are these generally correct even if it is a different food brand I just find it easier to input the data and get the calorie calculation done for me instead of having to calculate everything myself hope this makes sense :-) thanks

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    It isn't always correct. It does help to put a brand name in, when you're searching. The more accurate you can be, the better.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It can vary widely. Your example of wheat bread, you would have to enter the actual brand because they are all different. I just had a slice this morning that is 45 calories. We also have a loaf in the house that is 110 calories per slice. Your best bet is to use the bar code scanner, if you are using the MFP app on your phone.