beginner runner

Options
any suggestions or tips. me and my family signed up to run a mile fun run in Dec. I am so excited. I cannot run a full mile without walking but I want to be able to come Dec. pls HELP.

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    the usual.
    google "couch to 5k" for a good training plan.
    i also rated podrunner for a tailored workout to music.

good luck in your running career :)
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Get some decent running shoes - get fitted in a proper running shop. Also, get a proper sports bra.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    As has already been mentioned there are plenty of couch to 5k training programmes which you can google and follow and I found that downloading an app like endomondo or runkeeper onto my smart phone really helped motivate me when I started so I could track my distance.

Good luck!!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k last month. My tips: good shoes, good sports bra, top and pants that aren't too hot and won't chafe. I wore yoga pants and a tech shirt which were perfect.

I recommend C25K, it really helped me prepare for it. Push yourself, you can do more than you think!!!

Best of luck and have fun :)

Sláinte! :drinker:
  • ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch a lot. Start off slow, focusing on breathing. Walk to warm up (3 min is good) then run for 2 or 3 min (quarter mile). Repeat this until you are able to run 1 mile. Try increasing your run time and total running distance until you're comfortable with running 1-1.5 miles nonstop. Once again, stretch often. Best stretch for me is pointing my foot up a wall and leaning in.
    Also, don't be afraid to stomp your feet (flat foot) instead of running on the balls of your feet.
  • Crystallee145
    Crystallee145 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    These are great tips! I'm a 'new' runner also. I mostly do short spurt runs for warm up to my work out. But I want to start running 5k's
  • Lahn1969
    Lahn1969 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So far a lot of great advice!
    1) Get fitted for running shoes - your feet change every few years, size, shape, etc. Find a running store and ask them to evaluate what kind of shoe you need. Especially if you find you pronate or suppinate (run on the outside or inside of your foot).
    2) Use one of the several online tools or consider joining in on a running club program. These are targetted at the new runner and you'll meet some accountability friends! Trust me, its a lot of fun.
    3) Find a safe place to run where you can get to easily. I can't run near traffic, maybe you can. Plan your route ahead of time and do mix it up.
    4) Stretch alot more than you think you should. Its easy when you take on something new to get injured (pulled muscles, overuse swelling, etc). You can check youtube but in general, walk for 3-5 minutes, find somewhere to take a few minutes and stretch, then start your run.
    5) Consider a journal. Nothing fancy but it will help you stay motivated. Or download an app like Nike+, Runkeeper, etc. Some of these work nicely with MFP.

Good luck!:wink: