Fasting?

Options
Has anyone ever done a fast to jump start their weight loss? Just thinking this might be the kick my body needs to finally lose something.....I've been yo-yoing the same 1/2 pound for 2 weeks, and would really like to see the scale going down!

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have never done this, but I'd research it a bit.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fasting

I agree with this, "When you fast, your body is forced to dip into energy stores to get the fuel it needs to keep going, so you will lose weight. The big question is how long you will keep that weight off. Because food was often scarce for our ancestors, our bodies have been genetically programmed to combat the effects of fasting. When you eat less food, your metabolism slows down to conserve energy. Then, when you go back to your usual diet, your lowered metabolism may cause you to store more energy, meaning that you will probably gain back the weight you lost and possibly even put on more weight when eating the same calories you did before the fast."
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Okay.....Hadn't thought of any "long term" metabolism effects....I certainly DON'T want to slow it down any!

Any other suggestions for a jump start?! I've never had such trouble losing weight before.....UGH!
  • BrendaKayS
    Options
    I've never done well with fasting - I use to try it for a jump-start when I first lost a lot of weight a few years back and had hit a rough patch. In my experience I felt very proud to make it through the day and then the next a.m. I woke up and ate everything in sight.

Perhaps a 1-2 day detox is a better idea??? Just focus on nothing but a little lean protein, fruits, veggies, and a few whole grains? I know that is how we are "suppose" to eat everyday and I haven't looked in your logs so maybe you already are but sometimes just going real clean for a few days can give a little jump-start and although it may bring your calories down some you probably aren't going to have the negative effects of an actual fast??

Just an idea. Then again everyone has to do what works for them. I have a friend who did the 48 hour juice diet once every other week for a few months and she lost about 30 lbs, she's kept it off for a few years now. If she goes up a lb or two she just does it again or does it once every few months. Wouldn't work for me at all, I know that, but does for her and she looks great.
  • prestoncaleb
    prestoncaleb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've heard of hard core people who have had significant plateaus...more than a few weeks...will gain 5 to lose 10.

basically confusing their metabolism by eating extra for several days to a week.

Also fasting for just a day per week is supposed to be revitalizing...and can help trigger the production of HGH.

of course this is just stuff I read on the web so extra research if recommended :-)
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    prolonged fasting will slow down your metabolism to the extent that will just do the opposite of what you are trying to achieve - gain weight. Fasting is actually a healthy way to rejuvenate and restart your body from 0. (Fasting spas throughout the country help monitor fasts for 14 to 21 days).

But fasting requires you to do some research. It can be a good way to jump start your weight loss efforts, if done the correct way. With fasting, yes you slow your metabolism, but you force your body to go into stored glucose (fat & muscle) for energy and begin to go through the process of ketosis. You will lose weight. But what's important is re-eating again - this is where you either gain weight back or maintain weight lost, depending on whether or not you do this right.

The fasting process is something that I would recommend because I have fasted for my health (reasons other than weight loss). It is not for the faint of heart, but something worth looking deeper into. The process definitely varies from person to person and you might be surprised by the healing powers of fasting..
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I had to fast in august and yeah it did help to lose a little bit of weight but not as fast as it usually is for me when eating throughout the day. I gained after ramadan was over though.

You may start to gain weight after finishing but that's just what our bodies do until we get to our normal routine.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    When I plateaued after 30lbs lost, I had to add some calories back into my diet to start losing again. I did this by slowing the rate I wanted to lose at from 1.5 pounds per week to 1 pound per week. It meant eating about 250 calories more a day, but I started losing weight again within a week.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    In the past I"v used fasting to enhance my diet. I fasted one day a week . The results were wonderful - I had decreased appetitite and increase energy. Overall, I gained control over my eating. I don't think it had an adverse impact on my metabolism. I did the fasting one day a week for about a year. Currently, I have a hard time fasting for a day.