Cassava...Dangerous?

Options
I just read if one does not prepare Cassava correctly, it can be 'deadly' - producing cyanide!
Also, lima beans and red Kkdney beans HAVE to be cooked/boiled before consuming...

Anyone have 'bad luck' with Cassava...however, now that I think about it, if you did you might
not be around to comment on this...LOL

Also, I'm curious...what have you prepared using cassava?

Replies

• jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it being deadly. I've cooked it (I call it yucca) before, but just cut off the waxy outside, cut it into big chunks and in half, get rid of the stringy thing in the middle, and boil it. I have used it in soups before along with some plaintains and cabbage and other veggies, but was taught that from some more Central American cooking. Down in Miami at a restaurant called Pollo Tropical they have yucca and it is boiled and then you have a garlic butter sauce poured over it. Yummy. That may be more of a Cuban way of cooking it. But I don't make it very often, it's a carb-laden filler. I do love it with some garlic and spiced black beans over it. That's yummy too.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Cassava and yuca are not the same plant, although people regionlly will refer to cassava as yuca.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cassava-yucca-same-58761.html
  • AnyankaSigrun
    Options
    Cassava Root/Yucca Root does need to be boiled until it is soft this insures that it is safe to eat. You should pour out the boiling water. It does contain Cyanide but once you boil it it is perfectly safe to eat and delicious. We like to fry it in a little olive oil and salt it. Absolutely yummy!
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi and thanks to all that responded.
    I'm much more inclined to try it out now...