Anyone done the Body By Vi shakes?

Options
I have a friend who is obese about 390lbs and it is a struggle for him to workout first. He wants to start with diet and is wondering about body by vi shakes. If anyone tried them? And how much weight you lost etc?

Replies

• musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Tried them.
    Use them occasionally.
    Not fit for long term and results unsustainable without proper diet and exercise.

If your friend's problem is binging, overeating, poor nutrition or lack of knowledge of portion sizes/control, then Body by Vi will set them up to fail. their whole mantra is drink two shakes and watch the weight melt off

Not good for those who are just starting out.
    Yes, they will lose weight. Probably quickly.
    After they stop the shakes, the weight will fly back on with a vengeance.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Gross tasting and I was hungry again 2 hours later. If your friend wants to lose weight then just cut calories. You have to have a pretty big intake at to maintain that weight so it shouldn't be hard to cut back and see fast weight loss for the first couple months. By the time you make the shakes the way they tell you to you're taking in enough to have a decent meal of nutritious food and you'll have a whole lot more money in your pocket.

Quick weight loss gimmicks are there to take advantage of the desperate. They don't teach anything about healthy eating and most people gain the weight right back again because they don't know how to maintain their loss and are jonesing for some REAL food!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi shakes is like the new Amway -- Pyramid marketing. I don't like it for that reason, but the product itself isn't a bad one.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I drink them as a protein shake after my workouts. I drink one in the morning. The butterfinger recipe is delicious. Tastes like a milk shake.

I dont drink them for weight loss purposes but if I still lose weight that is great. I cant sustain on just drinking two shakes and one meal per day.

The friend that told me about it his girlfriend lost 17 lbs.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    1. Pyramid scheme
    2. Nowhere near effective cost-to-ingredient ratio
    3.Website makes my head hurt
    4. Pyramid scheme
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I've tried them. I lost 10 pounds, but that was two shakes a day along with 3-4 other small meals with healthy foods and working out 3-5 times a week. Now I really only have them once or twice a month, as a quick snack if I'm low on groceries. I do think they taste good, and there are lots of different recipes for them.

I agree with musycnlyrics, they will most likely lose weight, but if they are not learning new habits they will just gain it back.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's basically like 1/2-3/4 serving of regular soy protein powder and a multivitamin per serving with deceptive marketing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Tried them.
    Use them occasionally.
    Not fit for long term and results unsustainable without proper diet and exercise.

If your friend's problem is binging, overeating, poor nutrition or lack of knowledge of portion sizes/control, then Body by Vi will set them up to fail. their whole mantra is drink two shakes and watch the weight melt off

My friend is in the mid 300's and she was using Body by Vi for about 3 months last spring. She lost about 10 lb, and gained more than 30 lb in the summer immediately after stopping. Therefore I'm terrified to ever even try them.
  • jenf66
    jenf66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been using their shakes since April of 2012 and have lost 55 pounds. I like the versitality of them. The mix makes great pancakes.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My daughter in law sells it. She started a year ago at 240 lbs, using the shakes, doing their challenges, going to conferences, etc. The results of all her work are she's 240 lbs, out a lot of money for useless crap and I've spent countless hours watching her kids while she hangs out with other "distributors" wearing sparkly wife beaters and talking about their successes. I really can't imagine why anyone would buy it from her based on the fabulous results she's gotten.
  • briebuck
    briebuck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Im on it.

- I don't do the pyramid marketing. dieting is something you go to a friend for help with, not something they push on you

- the shakes keep me full until dinner - I am big boned, muscular, 230lb woman, work out hard (cardio weight lift) 3-4 xs a week. if I want a snack I eat one. --- It was rough the frist week to stay under 1800 calories (mfp calorie goal) but week2 and on im doing well.

- the shake tastes like cake mix. no joke. mix it with wtv you want (well not icecream .....)

- do the math on the $. like $1.50 a meal ? im down to my favorite shake mixes (fake frappacino and mango peach v8) so my grocery bill is small!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Tried them.
    Use them occasionally.

My friend is in the mid 300's and she was using Body by Vi for about 3 months last spring. She lost about 10 lb, and gained more than 30 lb in the summer immediately after stopping. Therefore I'm terrified to ever even try them.
    the shakes didnt cause that, the fact she never learned to eat properly did
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Tried them.
    Use them occasionally.

the shakes didnt cause that, the fact she never learned to eat properly did

I agree!