Should I just quit trying treadmill?

Options
I started working out two months ago and I mostly do Zumba once a week, yoga once a week and Elliptical 3 times a week. When I started on the Elliptical I would burn 180 calories in 25 minutes and do my happy dance. I am now doing 60 minutes on the elliptical and the highest I've burnt is 670 calories. Through health and fitness research I'm finding out that elliptical tends to overestimate calorie expenditure :sad:

I've been trying the treadmill and its been so disheartening. I thought I was reasonably fit but I can barely jog for 5 minutes before feeling like I am going to pass out. My resistance on the elliptical is 10 and incline is also at 10.

Help!!!!! Should I continue doing what I do best or there are other ways of tackling Mr Monster Treadmill?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First off machines lie about calorie burns. Take 50% of what it tells you. You aren't good at the treadmill because it's something you don't do. It's a whole different workout than the elliptical and requires good lungs along with cardio endurance. You cold try doing the C25K plan on the treadmill to learn to run or lower your expectations of what you should be able to do.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how much elliptical, or stationary bike you have done in the past, you are not used to running and need to build up your endurance. Personally I think running is much more taxing than either the elliptical or bike but you may think differently after you've done it for a while.

Download a Couch to 5k app (C25K) for your smartphone. Its an run/walk interval based program that typically takes 9 week to get someone from sitting on a couch to running a 5k. I never ran before in my life and used this program to the end. I now am running 3.5 miles 2-3 times a week.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    If you want to actually master the treadmill then just practice at your pace, HIIT is good to build up speed, there are plenty of phone apps that help you out check it out!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Remember that after a good cardio workout, your body continues to burn calories at a higher rate for hours.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of Couch to 5K, though I would actually suggest that you download the C210K app from Zen Labs. Chances are, once you reach the 5K "graduation" you will want to continue anyway, so you might as well just use the app from the start. The program will take you from running 1 minute at a time to running 60 minutes straight in 14 weeks. It really works.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much switched to only treadmill. I started out forcing myself to "run" 1 mile a week. Slowly (took about six months) I began to do more and more and actually skip the elliptical all together. Now I do about 3 miles twice a week. I'll use the elliptical occasionally, especially if I'm sore from something or feeling a little under the weather. But even if I don't feel like running, I'll up the incline and walk.
  • ElizabethWillNotFail
    Options
    Thank you, I am downloading the app now.
  • Danielle0227
    Danielle0227 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm an 'on again, off again' kind of runner. My boyfriend is much more serious than I am, even though I am the one who started us both on this new form of fitness. He runs 5 times a week on average, and has run numerous 5ks, an 8k, a 10k, and a half marathon. I have never ran more than an 8k. So starting yesterday, I'm on again to prepare for a 77 mile, 7 person relay that we have signed up for that takes place in April. I not only want to finish my three legs of the race, I want to kick *kitten* !! I found a post on Pinterest that consists of ...

4.5 mph for 2 minutes
    5mph for 1 minute
    5.5 mph for 1 minute
    6mph for 1 minute
    6.5 mph for 1 minute
    7 mph for 1 minute
    7.5 mph for 1 minute
    8 mph for 1 minute

Repeat three times.

The blogger claimed to have used this and lost almost 8 pounds in a week and substantially decreased her 5k time and increased her overall speed. As I said, yesterday was my first day, but I loved it!! I started with Couch to 5K as well.

Good luck to you. No matter what anyone says, running is mostly from your brain ...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    yes, machines in general overestimate burn...elliptical machines seem to be really wacky though. one of the reasons I've never really been a fan of them though is that they don't really train you for anything outside of actually doing elliptical...there's not really any real world value from it other than the fact you are moving and thus burning some calories. if you want to be a good runner you have to run...being a good runner translates to many real world applications (as does cycling, swimming, etc)...but really that is the primary reason I've never seen much point in an elliptical machine.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    To be clear, running is not like any other cardio; swimming is not like any other cardio; cycling is not like any other cardio...and so on. You use different muscle groups for the primary movements and have different impacts to different areas of the body. No other cardio exercise are going to really prepare you for running if you haven't run before. Running is one of the largest body impact cardio activities you can do.

Based on what you said, your body isn't used to that impact or endurance. By endurance, I mean endurance specific to that activity for your body. As with ALL cardio, practice makes perfect. Since you already have a fitness base, and it sounds like a good one, you will find that getting ramped up and into the swing of things with running shouldn't take too long. You will be fine. Just focus on form to avoid injuries and you will be fine.

EDIT: Forgot about the calorie estimator. As long as the machine isn't grossly out of calibration, if you are inputting weight and age, it won't be the most accurate, but will still be decent enough and more accurate than using a default MFP value. If you really care about calorie burn, get a Heart Rate Monitor. Many cardio machines will automatically sync up with Polar Heart Rate Monitors, so you can track that while you are doing your workout.

Keep at it, you got this!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the C25K suggestions. Also, treadmills suck. While you can argue it's less effort to run on a moving band, it's also stupendously boring and staring at the clock ticking up (or down) just makes the run drag on. I run marathons, but 30 minutes on the treadmill is torturous. Run outside, if you can.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    look into couch to 5k. It is a running program (free app on android and apple) that helps with getting your endurance to run consecutively for about 30 minutes by the end of the 8 week program.
  • acoustictones
    Options
    I couldn't run a mile without walking half of it the first week of September, and now I can run 60 minutes with no walking. Here were the secrets for me:

1) Don't be ashamed of walking. Run/job for a few minutes or whatever you can, and then walk for a few minutes. Then Run/jog again, and then walk for a few minutes. After time your walking will begin to reduce and your runs will get longer.

2) MIX IT UP and keep it interesting. For example when you walk try to increase the incline maybe to 2-4%. Or when you when you run go harder on a few of the intervals (HIIT), but keep the durration lower. Then walk again. Then do a slower jog but with a longer durration. Keep it interesting and grow into your abilities.

3) Mix up your cardio to keep it interesting. I love to run, but at 42 it's not as easy on my body as when I was in High School. So I mix some eliptical as well every other or every 3rd or 4th cardio session to keep the pounding down a bit. Or try to add some biking or anything else that will give you a good burn, but simply change it up from time to time.

I hope that helps and YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • daj150
    Options
    I'll echo the C25K suggestions. Also, treadmills suck. While you can argue it's less effort to run on a moving band, it's also stupendously boring and staring at the clock ticking up (or down) just makes the run drag on. I run marathons, but 30 minutes on the treadmill is torturous. Run outside, if you can.

Who can argue it's less effort to run on a moving band that is going at a steady speed in the opposite direction of where you are trying to go? Less impact vs. running on pavement, sure, but less effort, not even close. It takes more effort to run on a treadmill vs. identical road conditions (meaning same pace and grade).
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Who can argue it's less effort to run on a moving band that is going at a steady speed in the opposite direction of where you are trying to go? Less impact vs. running on pavement, sure, but less effort, not even close. It takes more effort to run on a treadmill vs. identical road conditions (meaning same pace and grade).
    Running on a treadmill with no elevation takes less work than running outside. You have to put it at a 1% grade just to match running outdoors. That doesn't even account for running up/down hills. http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/treadmill-vs-running-outside/
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

1) Don't be ashamed of walking. Run/job for a few minutes or whatever you can, and then walk for a few minutes. Then Run/jog again, and then walk for a few minutes. After time your walking will begin to reduce and your runs will get longer.

^^This. If there was one thing that messed up my running program it was my pride. Go slow. Run. Walk. Run again. Gradually increase the time running and decrease the time walking. I ran too much too early and injured myself a few times.

Fortunately, I got over myself and started getting some mileage. Last week I finished my first marathon. ;) It only took 8 years and 80 lbs to get there!

SHOES!!
    Also, I cannot overestimate how important the right shoes and insoles are to running. Get yourself to a real running store where they will put you on a treadmill and inspect your stride. You will be amazed how much more comfortable running can be with the right apparel.

It takes some time but you will get there.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Although I never used the C25K program... I am a fairly new runner (last couple years) that did it the old fashioned way... just started running. 1) running on the treadmill is boring 2) running on the treadmill will not really prepare you for real life running in a 5K (especially If you live in a hilly/mountainous area like I do).

So... when I began, I would set little goals for myself "run to that tree... run to that house" around my neighborhood and try to surpass those goals each time. When starting out and trying to improve my endurance.... I try to run for a song, power walk for a song (using my ipod) and I usually finish with a 10-12min/mile timing. Running a few miles is ALOT easier in the real world than the Treadmill because time goes by faster.

Definately, doing the elliptical is nowhere near running because you have to carry your whole body weight with a run and withstand the impact of foot on pavement... its a lot harder than the elliptical. That being said.. I think there is a lot to be gained from all forms of cadio which is why I rotate what I do on a daily basis (bike, elliptical, running, etc). I think you should not really worry so much about how many calories you burn but concentrate on keeping your heart rate up and SWEATING! You know what they say... if you're not sweating... you're not working hard enough! :) Use MFP or the reading on the machine as a guideline... but if you're number obsessed... get a HRM. Good luck!
  • daj150
    Options

Running on a treadmill with no elevation takes less work than running outside. You have to put it at a 1% grade just to match running outdoors. That doesn't even account for running up/down hills. http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/treadmill-vs-running-outside/

Yes, outdoors has varying conditions...hence why I stated same pace and grade. Guess I should have stated all non-indoor variables excluded from outside comparison...but you are splitting hairs here...the point is making a blanket statement on effort level is inaccurate to the OP...I can't dispute the opinions part of your statement though, as I agree with that since I feel the same way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a much easier time jogging (and even walking) outside than on the treadmill.

As for the elliptical, I used a heart rate monitor on mine and could burn around 600-650 calories in an hour pushing myself pretty hard. Depending on your weight, 670 is a reasonable burn on an elliptical, though you can cut 100 calories or more if it makes you feel better (if you're eating them back).

I hate the treadmill with a passion, so I say dump it! lol
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    Do a run/walk. If you can't breath or you feel like you're about to pass out you're going to fast. SLOW DOWN. If you want to do steady state cardio (which would be keeping around the same heart rate for the duration of the exercise) then go slower. If you can't maintain a jog for 5 minutes then run 2 minutes walk 1 minute at a brisk pace.

Also, a warm up is incredibly important. Walk for 5 minutes first. Then run for 30 seconds and walk for 30 seconds for a total of 5 minutes. This gets your body better acclamated and helps your heart and lungs understand what's about to go on.

I also never recommend a treadmill unless it's your only option. I would honestly prefer you stay on the elliptical and do this 2:1 drill on there. Try to keep the revolutions/minute above a certain number for 2 minutes then bring it down for 1 minute. At least on the elliptical you can add "resistance" whereas the treadmill is propelling you foward taking away from the work you're doing.

Also, don't forget to add some resistance training in there! It's equally important in weight loss!!