what's it called?

Options
I can't seem to find the exercise planking on either strength or cardio. Is there a different name for it?

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    Options
    According to wikipedia ...

"The plank (also called a front hold, hover, or abdominal bridge) is an isometric core strength exercise that involves maintaining a difficult position for extended periods of time. The most common plank is the front plank which is held in a push-up position with the body's weight borne on forearms, elbows, and toes."

Hope that helps
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's called a plank, and would be considered a strength move (endurance). It really doesn't take a great amount of calories to perform, as most people cannot hold it for more than a few minutes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    If I was doing planks as part of a general strength training routine, I'd log them as part of it under the 'strength training' section. If I were doing a few of them all by themselves, I wouldn't log them as anything because while there are benefits (core strength), you're not burning a significant number of calories by doing a few planks.
  • asauer
    asauer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same question--I know what a plank is but can't find it in the exercise database. How are other people logging?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Plank is a great core exercise but it's not a calorie burner, it's a strength move.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I just count it as part of my strength training.
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It seems that strength training won't register unless you use some type of weights or resistance. I don't log it at all
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    To log your planks, go to "Exercise"

Under "Strength Training", click "Add Exercise"

Type Plank.

Hit "Search"

Scroll to bottom of results page, click "Add an exercise to the database"

Fill out the form. Your repetitions can be whatever you want... I would enter it as seconds.

So, one set would be one time holding the position. One rep would be one second within the set. Weight would be 0.

Click "Add"
  • wordwitty
    wordwitty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just tried to add Plank under Strength Training. I got an error saying that the exercise already exists but when I searched for it again under Strength Training got an error saying no results found!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i log them under callisthetics.
  • bladesbybev
    bladesbybev Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had the same question. Thanks emirror
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options