Excercise - ZUMBA

Options
I had a great time at my Zumba class last night. I started this class in July 2013 and have been attending every Monday and Wednesday of each week. I enjoy working out with others. Before I started going to 24 hours I basically worked out at home which was necessary to loss weight and be healthy but I must admit I enjoy doing my workouts with others. Have a great day everyone and let work hard to be healthy! :smile:

Replies

• BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is always nice to have some outside energy to keep you motivated and moving. Plus Zumba is more fun with others to laugh with when you make a mistake. I'm glad you are having so much fun. keep going
  • cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Woot Woot!! Team Zumba!! Lol! I love Love LOVE Zumba fitness!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love love zumba!!! I go twice a week too, Tues & Thurs. I burn so many calories its crazy!
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! My story is similar to your as it pertains to working out. I first started out at home doing exercise videos and walking then I went to my first class last July 2012 and I've been going ever since. I've added other classes as well like Total Body and Camp Fit. I agree that it's nice working out with others and I've met many friends there. Thanks for sharing and you also have a great day!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Zumba.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started off with Zumba, absolutely Love dance fitness.... now I also do a class called Ujam Fitness which brings in more dance styles than just latin......
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba, U-Jam , Hip-Hop and Bollywood Cardio, basically any kind of dance. Fun+ workout
  • bbradleyea
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies and yes, those other classes mentioned by some of you I heard are great as well and I look forward to trying some of the other ones as well.
  • bbradleyea
    Options
    Yoiu are so welcome and I thank you for sharing your journey with me as well! :smile:
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love zumba. With that being said, just a heads up if you aren't using a HRM, your calories are probably half of what MFP says they are! This is coming from myself and others. I just got my Polar Ft4 HRM. Before that MFP said one hour of Zumba for my height and weight burned 800-900 calories. My HRM has been a consistent 450-500. Still an awesome workout either way, but a major calorie difference! Our Zumba group just participated in a 5k Color Run, and for Halloween we had a Glow Zumba Class! So fun
  • Metairie82
    Options
    Zumba is a ton of FUN! :) I recently discovered it and always end up smiling at least once. :)
  • MaDDameLeota
    Options
    Love, love, love zumba. With that being said, just a heads up if you aren't using a HRM, your calories are probably half of what MFP says they are! This is coming from myself and others. I just got my Polar Ft4 HRM. Before that MFP said one hour of Zumba for my height and weight burned 800-900 calories. My HRM has been a consistent 450-500. Still an awesome workout either way, but a major calorie difference! Our Zumba group just participated in a 5k Color Run, and for Halloween we had a Glow Zumba Class! So fun

Yeah, I always hear really high values for calories burned with Zumba, and while it is higher than going for a jog (for me anyway), I burn between 400-500, as tracked with my fitbit.
  • gidgette1972
    gidgette1972 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am going to try zumba for the first time tonight. I must admit I'm a bit nervous. I am the heaviest I have ever been #300. I also suffer from anxiety disorder so I hope I actually follow through with my plan and walk into the gym.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am going to try zumba for the first time tonight. I must admit I'm a bit nervous. I am the heaviest I have ever been #300. I also suffer from anxiety disorder so I hope I actually follow through with my plan and walk into the gym.

Take a Buddy to laugh with...the first time I was like nope, never again. Then I realized the calories burned and kept going back. It took me three weeks to get the moves down pat!
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Good for you! Walking in is the hardest part. Just follow along as best you can and if you get turned around or confused with the movements just stop and step side to side until you there's a repeat and you can follow along again. Try not to feel self-conscious, I promise you everyone else there is busy worrying about themselves and their workout and won't be staring at you. Just keep moving. You'll have a blast. Zumba is my favorite. I can only make it once a week now, and it's the only exercise I ever miss if I can't make a class. Also, YouTube is a great place to find routines to practice with.
  • bbradleyea
    Options
    You will love Zumba and the key thing is if you cannot keep up with all the steps or you get tired go at your own pace. Do not feel you need to be like everyone else. Keep us posted how that went for you. Keep going and you will have results along with eating the right foods (lots of veggies and fruits) and of course you need your other stuff but these will keep you healthy and full. Water is a must for all of us. I proud of you!!!!
  • bbradleyea
    Options
    I feel you, I love it as well and it's so much fun!
  • bbradleyea
    Options
  • bbradleyea
    Options

I not sure what you mean about HRM and MFP, is this on my myfitnesspal. I new so I am still trying to learn how this all flows, please advise.

Belinda
  • Gaby_BV
    Options
    <---- I like that!