Venison?

Options
teresamwhite
teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
DH got a deer two weeks ago, and now I am looking for a "tried n true" recipe to cook it. We got several roasts, and ground venison out of it, plus he is taking some to the processors to make summer sausage.

In culinary school, we only touched on game meats briefly, and I haven't had to do anything with it since then. I know I need to run it under cold water for ten minutes and soak it in salt water for ten minutes. After that I would treat it as any other very lean piece of meat. Still, though, a good recipe to compliment the venison would be welcome!

Replies

• jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I cook venison all the time, I will mix the ground venison with ground beef and use it in meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, meatballs and chili.
    I rarely use it alone just because it maybe to dry.
    I have a recipe for a fabulous tenderloin and I will look it up.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't copy the link but it is on Food.com Bacon wrapped Venison Tenderloin very good not low in points but very tasty.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    In a family of hunters, we always have venison in the freezer. I just made venison chili this weekend. I treat it just like ground beef. I love it in pasta meat sauce, in meat balls and also meatloaf. I have used the roasts to make BBQ pulled venison too. The steaks also make great swiss steak and "chicken fried" venison. I like the tenrderloin grilled like any beef steak-Med. Rare with garlic salt. Enjoy!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Venison-Goulash

Also spicy venison sausages are pretty awesome
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    We use ground venison just like you would use ground beef or turkey in dishes like chili, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, tacos, etc. One of my favorites is to take pieces of tenderized round steak, sear them a bit in a pan, put them in a baking dish and cover with cream of mushroom soup, onions and green peppers. Bake for about 30 mins or so until meat is done.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The roasts can be prepared just like you would make Italian beef as well.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have the equipment to do it, but if you do, venison jerky is the best. It makes me wish I hunted just so I could have some right now.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    <
    Hoping that the fiance kills a deer soon so my freezer if full !! I love it, use the ground venison hamburger just like I would ground beef/chuck. Venison Roasts in crock pot all day with cream of mushroom soup, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I soak it in water with a couple tablespoons of vinegar for a day or two to get the gamey taste out. Then I marinade it in red wine vinegar, soy sauce, rosemary and garlic powder. Fry or grill. Yum!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I love venison as well! Just make sure to cook it like you would a VERY rare piece of meat - it tends to get rubbery quickly!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    no recipes as such, just remember the meat will be drier (low in fat) so lower temperatures especially with plain ground venison. Notso much a big deal if your ground is mixed with pork or beef.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've had some pretty stellar venison stuffed jalapenos off the grill before :)
  • hopsgirl74
    Options
    My favorite is Venison Soup. Venison, onions, celery, potatoes with the skin still on, carrots, peas, and portobello or shiitake mushrooms. Salt, pepper, and thyme to flavor. OMG, soooo yummy and super easy to make.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Interesting. When I buy venison in Germany or get some from my uncle who hunts, I never have to soak it. Do folks in the US not let the meat hang or whatever it's called in English?

In winter I quite like making venison goulash, so basically a stew but I dont use a specific recipe.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    We are big hunters up here in Wyoming. I make stews, soups, chilis, LOTS of homemade jerky, roasts. Grill it, you can do just about everything with it as you can beef.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Venison is lean - so you either need to cook it forever or for seconds - when I have venison steaks from the loin I have them super-rare. When I roast legs etc, I have them pink. Stews need cooking for a day, at least.
  • AbFabKat
    AbFabKat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When forced to cook it I always used ground and made chili. Enough spice and you can't taste that disgusting gamey flavor.

<---not a fan of wild game
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    If you still have time request hot dogs. Venison hot dogs are the best!!

The next best way is that my dad will take steaks and butterfly them thin. He will then put a layer of raisin dressing and roll it up pinwheel style. Sometimes he will add a slice of bacon and sometimes not. He then bakes them until meat is done. He does not add any other seasoning as it all comes from the dressing. Usually only gets made this time of year as raisin dressing is his German side of the family's tradition in place of sage dressing for the holidays.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My favorite is mince meat pie made from the meat in the neck. I use my great granny's old "recipe", but I am sure you can find a better documented recipe )

Here is the mincemeat filling part of the recipe. It does have to be cooked down before using. Granny used to can batches of it.
    cooked and shredded venison, elk, or beef
    1 lb. tart apples
    1 lb. pears (do not use asian pears)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cranberries
    1 cup chopped prunes (can substitute or mix with raisens or dried cranberries)
    1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts and/or hazel nuts (i guess you can use pecans if you are not from NW )
    1/4 cup sugar (great granny originally used honey in her recipe, but i lost that version :( )
    1/2 cup pinot (also can use brandy, apple cider, etc)
    zest from 2 lemons
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. finely chopped lemon zest
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. clove
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. salt
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    get two pieces of tin foil, lay a layer of onion, bacon and deer steaks. cover with layer of bacon and onion(I also add a little butter), cover with other piece of foil. cook on grill or stove til you like it. I like rare, so only a few minutes on the grill.