im doing c25k, getting frustrated no weight loss?

Options
whats peoples experiences as beginner joggers/runners to weight loss. i am sticking to my calories but nothing is changing becoming a little disheartened. Wont give up though enjoying the jogging which never thought i would ever!!

Replies

• EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary because it's private, but you may not be eating enough calories. It sounds counter intuitive, but this happens quite a lot. Adjust your calories for a week and monitor your weight; it may take some tinkering to get your calories right. As far as jogging: a lot of people are surprised that running doesn't burn as many calories as they would expect. I recommend you add some strength training in your routine, take all of your measurements, and throw out the scale. You can be losing inches and staying the same weight. Good luck.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit causes weight loss.

Running creates a larger deficit, not exactly weight loss.

If you recently added running perhaps your body is retaining water to repair. It is also adjusting to the new workload.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    you need to open up your food diary when you ask these kind of questions.

how are you estimating your calorie burn through running?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    C25K isn't a diet or weight loss plan, it's to teach you to run 5K. Eating at a calorie deficit will cause weight loss. When you first start a new exercise you'll retain some water for muscle repair plus if you are eating back those exercise calories you need to be really sure about your burn. Running doesn't inherently mean you lose weight, I actually gained while training for a half marathon.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If you recently added running perhaps your body is retaining water to repair. It is also adjusting to the new workload.

This will definitely happen to a new runner or when you first start any strength training. And as someone else said you may not be eating enough. Wait at least a couple of weeks before seeing any changes.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    As you get further into the program and can run a little longer you should see more progress if you are measuring food properly :smile:
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has slowed since starting C25K. Before starting this, I did 3 miles on the elliptical everyday and that took about 30 minutes. I'm only on week 2 of C25K, but while it's 30 minutes on the treadmill, I'm not logging as many miles (2 miles in 30 minutes) and my pace is slower...and then there are the walking intervals. I'm burning less calories when I do the C25K. But I figure that as my speed picks up and the walking intervals get shorter, my calorie burn will increase.

Just watch your calorie intake and make sure you do some cardio on the off days too. Don't limit your exercise to the 30 minutes, every other day routine.
  • dawnwritesnow
    dawnwritesnow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out is the key to weight loss. But I am on week 7 of c25k and I love it! I actually ran 2.25 miles straight. Who knew?! But keep it up and keep an eye on your calories.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too much.