First Day....And Not Sure Where To Start

Options
Well here a little about me... I'm 33 years old and I have 2 boys 15 and 8 years old. I'm over weight and want to lose 35 to 40 pounds. That should put me around 125. I not sure how long I have been at this weight that I'm at now , or how I started to lose myself in a weight problem. All I know is that I'm the only one that can fit it. Easier said then done. I don't eat much or hardly all day. I eat maybe once a day and my meals always include rice in it. I don't like sweets or junk food. But somehow I keep the weight on. So any help would be great...

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating too little. If you don't take in at least 1200 calories a day your body slows down to keep from starving. Try having small frequent meals to get you calories up.
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try eating 5 to 6 small, healthy meals throughout the day. Don't eat within three hours of bed and drink plenty of water.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree, you're not eating enough calories so your body is probably storing all that you eat for future energy. Also, look at what you're driking- sometimes those calories add up without your thinking about them. Start by eating 3 small meals a day and working in at least 3 30 minutes walks a week. Lot's and lot's of info online about healthy eating. Diabetic diet are always good- well rounded and healthy. Good luck! You've come to a great place. :smile:
  • hazyhaze
    hazyhaze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that. I eat breakfast for the first time in years. It making me feel sick. I hoping it will pass.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Yep sounds like not eating through out the day may be your problem. I bet its frustrating that you're overweight but don't eat very much... Small healthy meals through out the day and starting a new exercise routine can help kick start your metabolism. Welcome to my MFP and good luck :)
  • JeanBeanM
    JeanBeanM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with kthom, you're not getting enough calories so your body goes into starvation mode. You need to eat more, use the food calorie calculator on the site to help you figure it out. It will ask you some basic questions to figure how much you should eat, you'll see a difference.
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends upon how much of a hurry you are in, but I always think the best way to figure out what is right is to start by figuring out what is wrong. I would live my life normally without changes for a week or two and track it religiously. I would be paying attention both to what the calorie intake is, and to what the overall nutrient value of what you are eating is. When tracking, I would look for items as accurately as possible... For example, Tomatoes have potassium in them, but you wouldn't know it by looking at some of the entries here because people entered them caring only about calories....So don't be afraid to confirm stuff through googling and build your own food list..

Establishing your baseline will allow you to ask honest questions of yourself. Am I eating enough calories in a day ? Are the calories I'm eating really as good for me as I think I am ? Am I getting enough nutrients ? I thought I was a pretty clean eater with only a few vices...probably fewer than most people. I still found ways to improve my diet and lost nearly 50 pounds since April 2010. More important than the weight, I now have a clear understanding of my vices and their effects which helps me to enjoy them in more controlled ways.

Off the top from your post I would say two things..

1. One meal per day isn't nearly enough..
    2. While better than many things, I don't consider rice to be a safe food. You can add significant weight eating rice just as easily as any other type of food.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that. I eat breakfast for the first time in years. It making me feel sick. I hoping it will pass.

Breakfast used to make me sick as well, but since I started with MFP at the end of August I have been eating breakfast routinely. Just like you I was eating only once a day, and now I try to eat three meals along with three snacks throughout the day. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    small meals every 2-3 hours, slowly increasing you meals will help get your body out of starving mode. Add fruits and veggies.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    if EATING breakfast makes you sick, then drink your breakfast...i enjoy the almond chocolate milk, but you might want to try boost or some sort of meal replacement...chocolate is my favorite lol...but i personally would rather eat my calories than drink them...
  • fairytalesrcute1
    Options
    For me the key is counting calories. You may be only having one meal a day but how big is that meal, and is it a good mixture of veggies, carbs and proteins? Are you eating enough dietary fiber? Keep a journal or use the phone app for this site and keep track of what you are eating and the portions you eat.

If you are under stress dont forget to find time to relax or releive stress. Working out is a great way to accomplish this, for me. I am on my treadmill for 2 30-minute inciments throughout the day and feel much better with it.

Dont forget to take a multi-vitamin! Your body may be slowing down your metabolism due to the amount you eat every day and because you may be lacking certain vitamins because you are not consuming them in your meal.

Good Luck!

~ Sarah