Best Protein Shakes

Options
Hoping there are some out there who have used protein shakes as a meal replacement.

Want to find one high in protein, low in carbs and fat and no artificial sweeteners.

Also at a great price. That's all. Not to much to ask right? Hehe

Thanks for your help!:smile:

Replies

• kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I had a smoothie as a real replacement for breakfast. I just threw half an avocado, a bunch of spinach, half a banana, some 2% milk, blueberries, mixed fruit, plain greek yogurt (for protein), flax seed in a blender. You can add honey to sweeten it. I'm not big on the meal replacement drinks that I don't make myself.
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    I use Vega powder. Not everybody likes because by itself it's a little grainy, but i mix a banana in and use cocnut water. Yum! Oh, it is sweetened with stevia, a natural sweetener.

Vega - Sport Performance Protein Powder, Vanilla, 1 scoop (1.2 oz.)

130 Cal

6 Carbs

2 Fat

25 Protein
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like GNC lean shakes but they have to be really cold. I like them because they are high in protein. Only the premade ones though. I bought the powder and it was pretty yucky. They are a tad expensive but I used to hate breakfast so they were great for me when I started this journey.
  • southpaw3833
    Options
    I am a low carber. I do subsitute small meals like breakfast with a protein shake everyonce in a while. ISOPURE protein has a zero carb protein powder you can get and its pretty easy to find a a decent price. I usually get mine from GNC. Just make sure you read it, ISOPURE has a zero carb, low carb, and not so low carb versions. Just make sure you get the one you after.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drink Naturade Total Soy. It's a soy based protein shake that can be used as a meal replacement. I love the taste and it's pretty creamy so you don't get the big grains of sugar like in some other protein shakes that I've tried before. It has 140 cals, 17 g Carb, 3 g Fat, 13 g Protein, 220 mg Sodium, and 8 g Sugar per serving. I get the chocolate flavor one but it also comes in vanilla. It only costs $19.98 at Sam's Club. It's very versatile. I usually drink this for breakfast and sometimes will add 1 TB of peanut butter and blend it over ice. If you're trying to control calories then you can use the PB2 (tastes like peanut butter) to add more protein and less calories to it. If you get the vanilla one you can blend it with berries, bananas, oats, etc. to bulk it up a bit.

*** I forgot to mention that the $19.98 price is for a 3 lb bag. So very cheap. Also blending it with ice makes it more filling. If you're going to just shake it then make sure you use one of those drink shakers that have the wire ball inside, it makes for a smoother drink***
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't necessarily made for meal replacement, you get some shakes (not protein shakes) which are for meal replacement... Meal replacements are high in vitamins, low in protein (around 10g) and moderate in carbs (20g +/-)...

A protein shake however will have a higher protein content (20+ g of protein, with low carb)

I'd go with any recommended popular supplement make, I'm not sure where you're from so I don't know what kinds you have near you?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    personally i would recommend whatever comes out to the cheapest per gram of protein that you can actually stomach the taste.

probably going no artifical sweetner will make it more expensive. they do have them out there though.
  • jokick
    jokick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of Optimum 100% Whey Isolate. The performance line has 30g protein with just 1 g fat and 1g sugar. Picked up the big container at Costco in Vanilla and it is very tasty! Add whatever you want to that base for a meal replacement
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    FYI - GNC is going to be the most expensive place to buy anything.

most online places will ship for free if you buy around 100 bucks worth of merchandise, and thats not hard to get to
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    what about a good tasting soy powder? I'm allergic to whey and drink the EAS Carb AdvantEdge premixed ones (they're soooo good) but was looking for a good powder if anybody wanted to throw their 2 cents in.
  • southpaw3833
    Options
    FYI - GNC is going to be the most expensive place to buy anything.

most online places will ship for free if you buy around 100 bucks worth of merchandise, and thats not hard to get to

Fair enough point. I didn't factor in that I pick mine up from GNC on base which is much cheaper than out in town.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    wienerdogcraz - response to your question.
    what about a good tasting soy powder? I'm allergic to whey and drink the EAS Carb AdvantEdge premixed ones (they're soooo good) but was looking for a good powder if anybody wanted to throw their 2 cents in.
    I drink Naturade Total Soy. It's a soy based protein shake that can be used as a meal replacement. I love the taste and it's pretty creamy so you don't get the big grains of sugar like in some other protein shakes that I've tried before. It has 140 cals, 17 g Carb, 3 g Fat, 13 g Protein, 220 mg Sodium, and 8 g Sugar per serving. I get the chocolate flavor one but it also comes in vanilla. It only costs $19.98 at Sam's Club. It's very versatile. I usually drink this for breakfast and sometimes will add 1 TB of peanut butter and blend it over ice. If you're trying to control calories then you can use the PB2 (tastes like peanut butter) to add more protein and less calories to it. If you get the vanilla one you can blend it with berries, bananas, oats, etc. to bulk it up a bit.

*** I forgot to mention that the $19.98 price is for a 3 lb bag. So very cheap. Also blending it with ice makes it more filling. If you're going to just shake it then make sure you use one of those drink shakers that have the wire ball inside, it makes for a smoother drink***
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in a protein shake and an MRP. Protein shakes are exactly that, a protein supplement made to help a person meet their protein needs for the day. An MRP is advertised/designed to actually replace a meal.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    There is a huge difference in a protein shake and an MRP. Protein shakes are exactly that, a protein supplement made to help a person meet their protein needs for the day. An MRP is advertised/designed to actually replace a meal.

add fruit or peanut butter and your much closer to a meal.

not that it really matters, i pretty much look at my nutrion by the day, not that concerned with making every meal 'well rounded' or whatever the concern is here
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

add fruit or peanut butter and your much closer to a meal.

not that it really matters, i pretty much look at my nutrion by the day, not that concerned with making every meal 'well rounded' or whatever the concern is here

Yes, I understand that you can add fruit, PB, etc to a protein shake to make it closer to a meal. You may look at your nutrition by the day, but many that are looking to replace a meal with a shake are usually trying to run on pretty low caloric intakes, and thus trying to actually "replace" a well rounded meal.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    iso sensation 93 Natural from Ultimate Nutrition.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm an Arbonne Vegan Protein Shake fanatic! The blend yellow pea/brown rice/cranberry protein blend (anyone hear Dr Oz talk about this recently?). I love both the chocolate and vanilla, use fresh greens (kale, spinach, etc) with organic berries (or peaches/pineapple/mango etc after I've gone for my walk or worked out). I also add Chia Seed, Hemp Seed and Fresh Grated Ginger with cinnamon and other "baking" spices; also mix up things a bit at different times with different ingredients from my booklet of recipe suggestions. Makes good protein bars as well, or when I bake with organic non-gluten flours I add some in. Been using it for over 3 years and love it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just use the Wal-mart brand chocolate Whey Protein supplement.

For the shake I put about a handful and a half of ice, a cup and a half of milk, two scoops of protein powder, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and put it all in a blender and blend it really fine. It tastes great and has a ton of protein in it. I don't use it as a meal replacement, but I do use it post workout along with my first meal of the day after breaking my fast. (I work out fasted).
  • Lexycon22h
    Options
    But! They do have amazing deals! I get all my protein there and always get a steel because I have a membership and wait for assume sales! Become a gold member and wait for the emails!