hyper metabolism (ed recovery)

Options
hello! i was recently hospitalized for anorexia and while i have suffered with it for years, this is the first time i have ever had the means to attempt recovery. i am very eager because i think i would like to be happy again...i am 16 years old, 6' and 92 lbs with a bmi of 12.5. eating is very hard for me and i really am trying but my only problem is that i keep losing weight, even on a 4650 cal/day diet!! my doctors really do not like to discuss numbers with me and i was just wondering maybe if i could get others' input. is it strange? will i have to eat this much forever?? if i have to eat this much just to maintain, i suppose it would take an intake of an entire fairgrounds to gain .5lb.

Replies

• Baykon
    Baykon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Why are all your profile pictures photos of Shmegeh?
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done on taking those first scary steps towards recovery.

Are you overestimating your intake, or exercising? Regain does take time, and tends to go in little 'bounces' rather than a straight line. Your body will be desperately working on repairing heart muscle and other vital organs, and this takes a lot of time. Your body must recover at its own pace, so do not give up.
  • kschwag13
    kschwag13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can only provide my personal experience. When I was recovering from an ED for the first time (years ago, I'm now trying to lose again due to gaining weight from a medication, but that's an entirely different story) I had to eat a ton, and it was obviously extremely difficult when you're not used to it, physically and mentally. As my metabolism and body started up again, I had some weird symptoms like night sweats. But take comfort that it's natural and your body will get used to it after a while.