Restarting my diet and considering a cleanse, opinions, advi

Options
Ok, so I have a few friends on my fb page that have done this master cleanse alongside a salt water flush cleanse. I am curious to see if anyone on here has tried it, what the results were, and is it safe?

Replies

• tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I never understand the point of these things. It sort of reminds me of the days when we tried to cure people of blood diseases by placing leeches on them.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I have not tried that cleanse, but I have done the Shakeology cleanse. I know that is not what you were looking for, but it's still a cleanse.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I purchased the book for the master cleanse, after I read the warning that I could die from it I decided against it.
    I did recently 'try' the Dr.Nutura cleanse (for 2 weeks), I gained 2lbs and got stomach cramps when it was time to 'go'. I drank anywhere from 9-11 glasses of water but it didn't help the cramping any.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do :flowerforyou:
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Your body cleanses itself daily. I never understood the point of those things.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options

I agree, fiber and water.
    NOT the runs!
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the fat smash diet cleanse that HazelDiva1913 suggested. Its basically a cleanse of all processed foods and I dropped a pants size doing it. I felt great and it reset my taste buds. You eat lots and lots of vegetables and fruit.

I used to do the master cleanse every season change for about two years and although I did lose weight, I would never do it again. I really believe it jacked up my metabolism. If you really want to flush your colon of all the "toxins" and backed up matter, just pay the money to get a colonic. But really, eating a lot of fiber would probably have the same effect.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, cleansing is very necessary. And the truth is that in an ideal diet, we're supposed to 'go' every single time we eat, so we should be going up to 3 times a day, but since that's not common, I would encourage incorporating a NATURAL routine of cleansing. Be it through a natural laxative, which is what I take. I don't get cramps, it just helps me go easier and quicker and more than once a day. Or be it by adding flaxseed to your diet on a daily basis. Or just eating alot more veggies and fruits, alot less red meat, and NO MATTER WHAT, drink alot of water :drinker:

I have gone to do a cleansing at a 'natural' spa and it was effective, but nothing worth me making it a routine ($$$).

I always encourage Natural, regardless of what you try, but you want to try to find something you can control yourself. Good luck :smile:
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I did the master cleanse last summer & it was awful! I was hungry all the time, I did lose weight but introducing solids back in made me gain everything back.

I only did it for 7 days I couldn't do it anymore.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options

I agree, fiber and water.
    NOT the runs!

I agree with these... but I also make sure I get several servings of citrus in the 2 days following high sodium days.

This is just how I do things because this works for me.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, cleansing is very necessary. And the truth is that in an ideal diet, we're supposed to 'go' every single time we eat, so we should be going up to 3 times a day, but since that's not common, I would encourage incorporating a NATURAL routine of cleansing. Be it through a natural laxative, which is what I take. I don't get cramps, it just helps me go easier and quicker and more than once a day. Or be it by adding flaxseed to your diet on a daily basis. Or just eating alot more veggies and fruits, alot less red meat, and NO MATTER WHAT, drink alot of water :drinker:

I have gone to do a cleansing at a 'natural' spa and it was effective, but nothing worth me making it a routine ($$$).

I always encourage Natural, regardless of what you try, but you want to try to find something you can control yourself. Good luck :smile:

Please know that there is no offense meant by this what-so-ever but your statement concerning "go-ing" could not be more false. The average person can go from 3x per day to only 3x per week! This is all considered normal by medical standards.

As far as laxatives are concerned, they may help you in the short term but in the long run you are only doing your body a disjustice. The body should not need help "go-ing" at all, except maybe the occasional stop up. If you're taking a laxative on a daily basis your body will become dependant on them and have a MUCH harder time adjusting if you decide not to use them. Plus, all natural or not, these can ruin your stomach and intestines.

Cleanses should not be necessary and are considered quite dangerous. Please Please PLEASE do not do one!!! Your body will and can naturally clean itself on a daily basis! If you're needing a jump start or really just want to feel "clean" go for a colonic...by far safer and with much faster and less disasterous results.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend the Master Cleanse. You only rebound from that anyway. I would recommend Super Dieter's Tea and drink some lemon juice. That will help jump start your system and kill any sugar cravings. Don't put your body through a harsh cleanse.
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    Im trying to get my mojo back for dieting and though this might be the way to o. Its not, but thanks for the advice!!! Yea I kinda thought it may be unsafe, I tried googling it and came up with different opinions mostly. So instead I have found someone who says that adding dry soy to your diet can help breakdown the fat, cinnamon, and green tea that helps too. So I think I may go with this and see if it helps, I just always have an issue trying to get started so it bugs the heck out of me!!! :smile:
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    I keep hearing such different opinions on cleansing. I tried the master cleanse for a day but I gave up because honestly, drinking maple syrup for seven days? Common sense dictates that this is insane. What I saw and liked as a detox was a diet that entailed waking up, drinking lots of water with lemon, eating a serving of grains (good grains like quinoa or brown rice), waiting twenty minutes, eating one piece of fruit, and then eating lots of veggies for lunch and dinner. Also, it said to save the steamed veggie water and drink it. I thought it was pretty gross and I almost puked drinking that veggie water. But, this cleanse seems a lot safer than ones I've seen. It even says that if you think you need some protein you can eat a small piece of lean meat. At least it lets you eat food. These other detoxes would probably ruin your metabolism.
  • triscuitsmom08
    triscuitsmom08 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I will never decide to do a cleanse. I don't see them as something we NEED, however I do drink green smoothies to help my digestive system kick into gear better (nothing does that better then banana and spinach haha) which in turns makes me feel better. (So many people think the green smoothies are a joke until they actually TRY them). I lost 10lbs my first month by not dieting and just adding these to my daily routine (drank two 10oz glasses of them a day and man were they amazing.) I'm too broke to drink them this week but Im starting them again next week. I get to the point where I crave them!

It's safer then a cleanse :) If you need any recipes just message me!

my favorite one is

2cups water
    3 bananas
    3 handfuls of organic spinach

blend banana and water until smooth then add spinach, blend until smooth (you will see flecks of spinach but you can't really taste them). I chill mine for about 10-15 mins then drink them. YUMMY
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi i do a total body cleanse about 3xs a year i use THE CLEANER WOMENS FORMULA from Vitaman world, its only like 20 bucks and its all natural and works wonders i always lose from 5-10 pounds after
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Your body is very adept at cleansing itself with proper nutrition (balanced meals/high fiber, etc), hydration, and adequate sleep.
    Most people who "cleanse" experieince water weight losses, and nothing more.
  • magnolia74
    Options
    I did the Master Cleanse a few years ago, just because I was curious how it would work, etc.

It was challenging... especially making sure that I was near a bathroom as much as possible the first few days. It really does clean out your entire digestive system. I did the full 10 days, and then transistioned into a cleaner food plan (more fruits and veggies, more natural foods and less processed crap).

My weight loss was minimal... a few pounds, mostly just bodily waste, I'm sure.

I wouldn't do it again. It was extremely difficult to do while working full time and having a life.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    From WebMD
    "Missing out on essential nutrients can lead to side effects such as fatigue, dizziness, hair loss, gallstones, cold intolerance, electrolyte imbalance, and heart damage. A lack of fiber in your diet from not eating whole fruits and vegetables can lead to constipation and other digestive ailments. You also can lose lean body mass if you don't get enough protein in your liquid diet."

But your colon will be clean, until you take your next food intake! Then you can start all over again!