Burning 1,000 calories on bike everyday now, eating help!!!

Options

Replies

• jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thanks JOJO. You are doing great with your lose. I want at least 2 pounds a week. That is still healthy loss right?

Two pounds per week is very aggressive. Shoot for 1-1.5 loss per week. Also, keep in mind that your body will adapt and become more efficient resulting in lower calorie burns during cardio. You mention previously that you want to burn fat and not muscle. You need to eat at a slight deficit, eat enough protein and strength train. Biking will not preserve your muscle mass. It may burn a butt load of calories, but that will be from muscles too. Every a higher % of muscle if you are eating at a large deficit, which it seems you are.

Do you just enjoy biking for 85 minutes or is this in attempt to lose more weight faster? I ask because hours of cardio is not necessary for fat loss. You can achieve fat loss and body recompositon (improving the shape of your body and looking better, not just a smaller version of your current self) through a slight deficit and strength training. Cardio is great if you enjoy it or if you are training for something specific. If this is your case, keep it up! If it is purely for fat/weight loss, you may be better reevaluating your routine.

Regardless of what you do, I suggest you check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet . IPOARM will help you calculate your caloric needs and will likely answer most of your questions.

Wish you best of success! Oh, I almost forgot....yes, eat back your exercise calories if you are sure the burn is accurate. For reference, I'm 5'8 and weigh around 157 with BF in the low 20%s. I maintain my weight eating 2,700 calories per day with strength training only 3x per week followed by brief 4 minutes of HIIT. No additional intentional cardio, but I do move alot during the day - around 10-12k steps. Hope this helps put it in perspective. 2,200 calories is not alot for an active woman to eat.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,213 Member
    Options
    85 minutes on the bike at an average heart rate at 155-165 puts a lot of stress on your body. Honestly, when it comes to exercise, more isn't better. It's just more. I'm concerned you are setting yourself up for illness or burnout. My suggestion would be to cap the bike at maybe 45 minutes and include strength training in your exercise program. Honestly, I love cardio and my 40 minutes on the elliptical 4 to 5 times a week was a huge part of getting to my goal weight and size. But there are diminishing returns in doing too much exercise.

Getting a heart rate monitor is an excellent idea.

BTW, I'm a few years older than you and post-menopausal. Good for you for making your health a priority!

Best Wishes!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    85 minutes on the bike at an average heart rate at 155-165 puts a lot of stress on your body. Honestly, when it comes to exercise, more isn't better. It's just more. I'm concerned you are setting yourself up for illness or burnout. My suggestion would be to cap the bike at maybe 45 minutes and include strength training in your exercise program. Honestly, I love cardio and my 40 minutes on the elliptical 4 to 5 times a week was a huge part of getting to my goal weight and size. But there are diminishing returns in doing too much exercise.

Getting a heart rate monitor is an excellent idea.

BTW, I'm a few years older than you and post-menopausal. Good for you for making your health a priority!

Best Wishes!

You've gotten some good feedback. Namely from Denise (themedalist), Ed Davenport & JFrankic. I will throw mine into the mix.

It's LIFE. It's not a DIET that you are on for a while then back to "normal". It's not activity that you are "forcing" yourself to do right now to chase a goal then it's back to "normal".

What you are describing - actually, it wore me out just reading it. And made me hungry :)

Find a DIET - a way of eating - that is yours for LIFE. Find activity that you love and ENJOY and that you will sustain for the rest of your life. Build your food around that activity. That lifelong, sustainable activity. For me that is walking and strength training. My food is built around the activity level that I plan on keeping with me as part of my life. Therefore, it's effortless and I don't stress over it. YES .. it takes some time to get there. That's ok. It's not a race.

I just shared a story with my peeps on my Friends List today about a reminder that I just had in regard to MODERATION. I forgot that and I was shooting myself in the foot the past few months chasing some extra fat loss with extra activity. Guess what? FAIL. I was UP on the scale. Now that life reeled me in and I'm back to doing my normal activity with my normal food (food which didn't change when I UPPED my activity) - I'm down on the scale and feeling sleeker.

You are 208? I was 236. I don't plan on being back there.

Strength training. That is my primary fitness. It has been THE game changer for me since I picked up my first barbell at age 47 at 220ish pounds. 3 x week lifting. 5000+ steps a day. 1700-2200 calories per day of food - protein, complex carbs and healthy fats being the primary focus. 2200 to maintain.

Good luck ! CHILL. Find food and activity that you love - for LIFE. Be consistent. Be persistent. Laugh. Enjoy life.

Jen
  • johnnifast
    johnnifast Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ignore the people who don't believe about the 1,000 calories burned.

Every workout session I have, I burn at least 1,000 calories (Polar FT7 watch to track).

Keep doing what you are doing. You are sick of being fat and want to lose weight? You are def on the right track. You know, there are plenty of ways to lose weight safely. If you feel you are working hard and not getting the results you need, re-evaluate your meals.

Keep your calories in a deficit. Since you are burning 1,000 calories, I would suggest eating a little more before you may start to lose weight by losing muscle. You can burn as many or little calories as you want. Eat more than your BMR, less than your TDEE and you will be ok. :-)
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    For all the doubters I posted a picture in my profile. I went out and bought a Polar 40 heart rate monitor. I burned OVER 1,000 calories in 80 minutes. It is possible to do that on the bike. I worked hard! I am glad I bought the heart rate monitor to KNOW for sure. :wink: :happy:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    85 minutes of "spinning" would burn that ... You do that amount of exercise and do eat back your exercise calories, you are just setting yourself up for an epic crash and fail/burnout ...

Gosh at least thank you for saying its possible. Everyone else doesn't think it is. I keep my heart rate at 155 - 165 for the entire 85 minutes.

Anyway.. what do you recommend??? that is why I am here. I want to know. Thanks!

I will be honest OP, when I first saw your opening post, I thought to myself "how the hell can she be burning that amount, she is heavily over-estimating!!!" However, seeing as to how high you are keeping your heartrate there for the whole session and how tough you have the level on that bike set at, I have changed my tune.

WTG on being able to maintain that, eat some of them back and see how the loss goes, ya doing bloody grand!!!!
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    Di. Thank you. I'm a big girl and not in great shape. My heart rate stays up there pretty high the entire time. The picture I put in my profile says level 5 but that is the cool down . I was pushing level 11 the entire time. Now when I lose lots of weight ,that may take more effort to burn that many calories in the future. But I'm super happy with burning 1,097 calories in 80 minutes! Yay
  • escadi
    escadi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If your main focus is health and weight loss then I strongly suggest you look through more reliable information than MFP forums, such as fitness books and health studies. I personally picked up reading my "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto (I swear this isn't an ad plug for the book) and I've been loving the content and it's def improved my weight loss efforts and given me far more energy throughout the day to sustain my workouts and even see some small gains in my lifts. It's written by a bodybuilder and honestly, when you think about it, who has the least amount of body fat percentage? What people can you look and see great muscle definition? The people who usually fit that category are bodybuilders and fitness models. Sure marathon runners can have just as little body fat % but do you really want to get in the habit of running those long distances? Shoooot I don't. But anyways, for the simple fact that bodybuilders know how to put on muscle and shave off body to a mere 4% (during competition season) while looking amazing (granted I'm not trying to say aim to look like Mr. Universe) proves to me that these guys know the best way of how to feed the body for optimal health and muscle gains while reducing total body fat. Plus this same book frequently sites several studies to back all the claims and is an easy and well informative read! Anyways, sorry to go a bit on a tanget. Back to your question.

I think that calorie burn is very realistic for the amount of effort your put into the cycling. I know you've already provided additional proof with the HRM but I wanted to chime in with my opinion. I use to bike about 15 miles every other day, through several hills averaging 17 mph, maintaining 25 mph+ on sprints, which would result in burning about 1400+ calories within 60 minutes according to my HRM/Bike computer. Granted I'm a much heavier and taller guy (around 245 lbs at the time and 6 ft).

However, I think you're eating far too little if you regularly burn 1000+ calories and eat around 1200-1400 calories. If you're losing about 2 lbs a week, it's very likely that a portion of that loss comes from muscle. If you're burning that much in a cycling session, you're body is constantly looking for energy so you definitely should eat a good amount of carbs prior to your cycling workout and have a easy-carb snack through the session and above all stay hydrated! Otherwise your body will look at the best expendable source of energy in your body, which is muscle because of it's high energy density (and several other reasons I can't remember at the time) as opposed to fat.

A good and safe guideline to follow for calorie consumption is usually at most 10-20% less of the calories required to maintain. This site is a really good source for estimating your calorie needs to maintain your weight and incorporates your level of activity in the equation. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    I put in the information you gave in this forum and came up with the result of 2700+ calories to maintain your current physique while also cycling daily. If you want to see what you should shoot for to lose weight than reduce that number by 10-20%, so your calorie goal should be about 2400-2100 calories. Your basal metabolic rate BMR (least amount of calories your body needs for daily functions e.g. organ function, digestion, etc.) is about 1600 calories so I think flirting far too close to your danger zone. I know 2100 calories seems excessive considering what you currently eat but you should slowly but gradually bring yourself up to this level or else your currently large deficit of calories will eventually exhaust you to injury and can ruin your weight loss efforts with food crash. Heck even 2000 calories would be great for you. I've made this change to my diet (jumping from 1970 to 2300-2500 calories within a few weeks) and I've been feeling fantastic and have been losing about 1+ lbs a week.

Lastly, as other members have suggested, I agree that you should incorporate different workouts in your regime,especially weight lifting! The best fat burner in existence are your muscles so increasing muscle mass WILL increase your metabolism i.e. your body's fat burn capabilities. Although a weight lifting session may not seem like much of a calorie burn when you input it into MFP, you need to keep in consideration that your body def burns more calories as it repairs the muscles you worked out, nearly doubling your total calorie burn. You should probably aim to alternate your weight lifting/strength training and cardio days, incorporating this into your workout regime will def give you a great workout and shave off the fat!
    As always, diet is def the most important component of your weigh loss efforts, so make sure you're feeding your body the right amount of calories and you're getting those calories from great sources which should def be high in carbs (considering your current workouts) about 30% protein and around 20-30% fat!

Okay, enough of me running my mouth haha good luck!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    that may be working for you for now, but you really need to be eating more. If you are eating 1200 calories and burning 1000 calories, then you are actually only eating 200 calories a day in essence. That is just too little. Please eat more.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    recipe for a disaster. What you are doing is a bad idea. Don't use exercise as a method of "calorie gapping". You're going to overstress your body.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am biking the entire 85 mintues at an average of 19 miles an hour keeping my heart rate at 155-165 on level 11, actual miles I rode 27. Why does everyone not think this is possible??? :frown: Its kinda discouraging.

Because many of us have been on here awhile, see the trends, or have been exercising for quite awhile? I'm not so sure why you seem to be taking it personally. 1000 calories an hour is incredibly hard to do, even at extreme intensities. Edit**: I just realized you said you're NOT using an HRM. As Ed said--those are, by far, the closest estimation you'll get to actual calorie burns. Make sure it has a chest strap for further accuracy, and remember that those can be off a bit too.

People are pointing it out so you don't do the opposite--eat calories from exercise (which you should), eat too many because you're overestimating, and then stop losing weight.

There's a middle ground here. Take all calorie burn estimations with a grain of salt. Don't go all the way to 200 calories net a day, and try aiming to at least net 1200. AT LEAST.

Realize that the more you keep thinking "aggressive" and "I'm sick of being fat," the more you're setting your mind up to be disappointed over any small losses (though any loss is good), or trigger yourself into a possible starvation pitfall.

Slow and steady. Always. There's a reason the tortoise ends up winning the race.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There's no reason for you to be biking for 85 minutes a day. This is setting yourself up for failure. It's not a realistic exercise regime. People who work out at high intensities like this, will eventually "poop out." And you'll end up with even more problems.

I am 195 and 5'3. I've gained 95 lbs in the past 3 years from anxiety medicines and am not struggling to lose the weight. So I was very skinny, like you mentioned you were before as well.

Instead of biking for 85 minutes a day… you should do 30 minutes a day. That will still give you a good burn of 300/400 calories depending on intensity. Next you should do strength training and resistance training. Buy yourself a set of weights… 3 lbs, 5 lbs, 7 lbs, 10 lbs… whatever you can manage.

I HIGHLY suggest purchasing Slim in 6… it's a workout program… 3 levels… I lost 10 inches in less than a month. It's low impact cardio and resistance training. It WILL tone you up and make you strong.

I do not recommend burning more than 500 calories every day through exercise. You simply don't need to burn anymore.

As for food… if you are burning 500 calories a day through exercise… you should be eating 1700/1800 calories a day. This will give you a NET CALORIE INTAKE of 1200/1300 which you will lose weight at. About 2 lbs a week which is healthy.

Your weight loss journey should be SLOW. People who lose weight fast, gain it back even faster. That's the way you're headed if you continue with the 85 minutes of biking and burning over 1000 calories a day.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    eat when you're hungry, and stay hydrated all day so that your body doesn't trick you in to thinking you're hungry when really, you're just thirsty. This is the best way. some days you may go over, some days you may stay under, but it's much better to heed your body's warnings than to restrict yourself.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There's no reason for you to be biking for 85 minutes a day. This is setting yourself up for failure. It's not a realistic exercise regime. People who work out at high intensities like this, will eventually "poop out." And you'll end up with even more problems.

Completely, utterly, unequivocally disagree. 90 minutes of daily exercise is only "a lot" because we have gotten so lazy. Real athletes do 3x that much, there is no reason at all why I normal person should burn out on 90 minutes a day.

In my 90 minutes this morning, I rode 40km.

It's really not that big a deal once you get in some kind of shape.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Completely, utterly, unequivocally disagree. 90 minutes of daily exercise is only "a lot" because we have gotten so lazy. Real athletes do 3x that much, there is no reason at all why I normal person should burn out on 90 minutes a day.

That user said "people," but I believe was specifically referencing the situation the OP is in... who is eating 1200 calories with 90 minutes of intense cardio everyday. So, the people who eat too little for the energy they're using.

Athletes most certainly don't do that at such a severe deficit. It's not a "lazy" thing--someone undereating and overexercising will most likely burn out at some point.
  • jkkenny3
    jkkenny3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. Slim most my life and then the slow creep to obese. I'm using Bob Harper's The Skinny Rules. There is also a Jumpstart to Skinny that I recommend. I quit smoking cold turkey years ago and like to get a problem solved as quick as possible. You can lose 2-3 lbs. weekly safely and continue to build muscle and nourish your body. Eating a ratio of 40-20-40 protein to fat to carbs will help. Drink 80 ounces of water, get use to eating chicken, salmon and lots of vegetables...some fruit but watch the quantity. I've lost close to 30 lbs. and many inches on his program (started it less than 3 months ago) and now feel so much stronger and can even run abit! You must take electrolyte drink (i use powder) and fish oil and sleep a solid 6-9 hours so your body can repair. Good luck on your journey back to your younger days. I too am heading to have this weight thing done by my birthday. II'm currently a 12 & I'll be pleased to wear an 8 again...so different than the 18 of 2 months ago and the 22 of this Spring.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Ah, a voice of reason ...
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am biking the entire 85 mintues at an average of 19 miles an hour keeping my heart rate at 155-165 on level 11, actual miles I rode 27. Why does everyone not think this is possible??? :frown: Its kinda discouraging.

I do 19 mph on the stationary bike at the gym for 30 min .. and that is pretty much full out. (I only do level 6 maybe that makes a difference) I don't believe that you can maintain that rate for 85 min, but if you can .. you are doing better than me. (I do about 95-107 rpm .. don't know what you do but I would be interested in finding out, just cause I may try your workout next time I go to the gym to see if I can do what you do)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am just sick of being fat. I am 44 now and wasted too many years being fat. I want to get to my goal by my birthday in May.
    Your problem is not just how much you ate, it's also this mentality. You're still stuck in the "I have to get what I want RIGHT NOW" mindset.

How about setting a goal of a healthy amount of loss and then let the timing work itself out?
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Go for half! Eat at 1500 - 1700 cals a day for a couple weeks, and see where it takes you. Monitor your loss, and then adjust your deficit to suit. Just remember to pay attention to things like fatigue and sickness creeping in - push as agressively as you can without taking yourself out of the game! YOU CAN DO IT! Just remember to listen to your body!