Running in the cold

Options
Hey guys! Im really interested in starting C25K/running outside....but its quickly getting colder in my area (woohoo Canada!) Id be running on snow and ice. Temp ranges from -10 to -40 celsius.

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for good runners or running outfits.

Replies

• BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Temperatures are similar here and I honestly don't have any expensive gear but still run outside. I wear my same old sneakers, throw on my workout capris under a pair of tracks and a workout shirt underneath a hoody. Gloves and something for your ears are obviously essential...
    But it doesn't have to be an over the top expensive investment :)
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just wear my gym pants under track pants or sweats, the same sneakers with heavier socks and a hoodie with a long sleeve shirt under it and/or my sons underarmor (or it's equivalent)

If i get to hot can always shed a layer.
  • BattlingBrown
    Options
    I really recommend some basic spikes if you're running on snow and ice. They'll give you a lot more confidence and reduce the risk of injury. Also make sure you do a good warm up in a warm place before you head out. I've lost count of the number of times I've been laid out for days after running in the cold and pulling a muscle (usually in my neck / shoulders from chill-tension).

Huge well done for starting running at this time of year. Just think how fantastic it'll be to pace out fresh strides in a clean snow blanket...I'm jealous! Enjoy x
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I really recommend some basic spikes if you're running on snow and ice. They'll give you a lot more confidence and reduce the risk of injury. Also make sure you do a good warm up in a warm place before you head out. I've lost count of the number of times I've been laid out for days after running in the cold and pulling a muscle (usually in my neck / shoulders from chill-tension).

Huge well done for starting running at this time of year. Just think how fantastic it'll be to pace out fresh strides in a clean snow blanket...I'm jealous! Enjoy x

Oh I never thought of that! Spikes are a great idea!
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I ran all winter last year I live in the Canadian Rockies so it gets cold as well
    I layered up long running tights, short sleeve running shirt, long sleeve running shirt, light weight running jacket.
    I found Point 6 (Merion wool) socks the best or Smart wool, I didn't realize how good they were until I went out without them my feet were so cold I had to come home, with them my feet were toasty all the time.
    Trail running shoes with Ice Grippers over them, I liked them best they weren't slippery even on dry sidewalks.
    Neck sleeve to keep the snow out and I could pull it up over my face if needed.
    Pair thin gloves with mitts over top worked best to keep fingers warm.
    Headband over the ears and a cap if it was snowing or just a touque.
    Have fun running this winter.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to run again but in the past winter running was my favorite. Layer up with wicking fabrics. I run mostly on trails so some sort of ice cleats are a must. I have Stabilicers and Yaktrax and like both of them. Just be careful if you run on areas with mixed dry and ice surfaces because you can slip easily with them on dry. I wiped out in the grocery store when I forgot I had them on! Also I make sure to plan my run so I'm not to far from home or my car after my cool down. It's very unpleasant to be cold, sweaty and walking.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid running when it's icy out but, running in the cold is unavoidable during New England winters. I dress in layers so as I get hot I can remove some. I also wear a hat and gloves...I am not going for fashion I am going for comfort and warmth.

LOVED the C25K Program...Good Luck!!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Running in the cold is a great workout! I love the advice to get something like Yaktraks on your shoes. Those are a necessity for icy roads. (Where I come from, the roads have on and off patches of ice--sometimes unseeable under the snow--for months on end.) I also run with s scarf partially over my mouth. My brother cuts off an old shirt sleeve and uses that. This helps keep the air you're breathing moist and a little warmer. It does take some getting used to, however, and make sure it's not restricting your breath too much.

I haven't bought any running clothes specifically for winter running, but I'm cheap and a heavy runner. They don't make those kinds of things for my size. I just layer up like crazy and give everyone in town the impression that Mrs. Claus is out for a jog.
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started outdoor winter running two years ago (after years of being a winter treadmill runner) and LOVE it. I just wear my regular running shoes but, the day before, drive the route I'm planning to take in order to check for ice. I also check weather.com and see if the weather conditions have been icy the day before.

I usually wear spandex leggings and spandex capris over, two pairs of socks, a tank, a thin, long sleeved tee, a fleece vest, and my running windbreaker (sometimes I wear my vest on the outside). I like wearing fingerless gloves because my hands get too hot and sweaty in regular gloves and mittens-- I have a pair of knitted fingerless gloves that are perfect for running. I also wear a headband to protect my mouth and nose, especially at the start of a run and sometimes move it down to help protect my neck. I also wear a headband over my ears or a ski hat if it's a really cold/windy day.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to run in Minnesota all winter, wearing just my regular running shoes, baggy sweat pants, a sweat-shirt, a shell and, of course, the requisite knit hat and gloves. I remember running in some pretty intense snow storms and I do not remember doing very much about staying dry. You get warm enough from the activity that you don't really need to.
    I think you just bite the bullet and get out there, and you find that your movement keeps you pretty warm -- unless it is minus 10 degrees F or colder. Then I think it is difficult because no matter what you do your exposed face parts get super cold anyway.
    I would not get spikes because often you are on bare pavement, which would ruin them fast, wouldn't it? Just avoid the ice and stay on the snow, which is not so slippery.
  • MissJS1983
    MissJS1983 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Let me know how you get on. This is something I want to try myself. Unfortunately I would have to go not only in the cold but in the dark as well. Its going to be bright neon yellow hi vis clothing all the way for me lol.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You have gotten great advice so far. If I were to add anything it would be when you are at the extreme --below 0 C-- stay near home. Getting hurt, or suddenly needing to use the WC, far from home is problematic. Run with the wind at your back all the time. :) OK, at least start into the wind and finish with the wind. Carry a cell phone if you have one, or otherwise let folk know your route. Run smart! Run warm! Enjoy!