Maintaining (more or less) while pregnant

Options
My goal is to not gain more than 10lbs or less during my pregnancy per my OB due to being overweight when getting pregnant. I'm currently 14weeks and 6 days along and have gain 2 lbs already. I'll be using Fitness Pal to help me maintain a record of what I'm putting into my body to help with making better choices. I've always been thin, under 120lbs until I turned 26 and am now 33 and my weight has been a constant struggle. I had baby#4 15 months ago and was disappointed with my post pardum weight loss and hope this will help me along the way after #5 is here.

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why don't you worry more about the health of your baby than gaining weight. You can always lose weight later. If your baby ends up sick at birth because you weren't taking care of it correctly no amount of weight loss will make you feel better about it.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    Making healthy choices for you and your baby is very important. Good for you because most women think being pregnant is a free for all to eat whatever, however much and that has health consequences also.
  • Nimue108
    Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    With 4 other kids I am sure that you are active so that is taken care of, but if you want to be MORE active I suggest walking with the kids or going to the park, etc. For food I suggest keeping lots of small healthy snacks around. If you have something good to munch on you are less likely to stray to cravings (mine was Chick Fil A both pregnancies). Make is easy to eat right so you have less excuses to eat junk, my crock pot is one of my best friends, lol. Best of luck and I hope the next months are happy and healthy.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ummm - she said she was trying to not gain more than 10 lbs PER HER OB. If you are overweight it is generally accepted that it's HEALTHIER for you and the baby to gain less weight or even maintain or loose during pregnancy depending on your pre-pregnancy weight.

We are currently attempting to get pregnant and intend to continue using MFP if/when it happens so that I remain aware of what I am putting into my body. It's a great tool to make sure you are eating a balanced diet so that your baby gets everything he or she needs!
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think its smart to use MFP to track while you're pregnant. You can set your goal to 2000 calories and make sure you aren't going over or under. I plan on doing the same thing for my next pregnancy. I don't think the previous poster saw the part about your doctor instructing you to limit your weight gain. At the same time, be realistic with yourself and don't be upset if you gain more than that. Usually 15-25lbs is recommended if you're overweight. But I think fitting nutritious food into a 2000 calorie goal and getting in moderate exercise is an excellent way to help with a healthy pregnancy! Another great feature of MFP is that you can add in breastfeeding calories after you have the baby, to help lose weight while eating enough for a good milk supply! :) Good luck!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Why don't you worry more about the health of your baby than gaining weight. You can always lose weight later. If your baby ends up sick at birth because you weren't taking care of it correctly no amount of weight loss will make you feel better about it.

If you're over weight and pregnant trying to not gain wait is being worried about your baby and your health. Being over weight while being pregnant can cause complications and we should applaud those who try to not gain when in reality, they don't need to because they are already over weight. Plus she talked to her doctor and got her approval.

A good snack that almost feels like cheating is getting a mid size container of daisy light sour cream and a packet of dry ranch mixture and mix them together. Tasty and low calorie dip for any veggie you'd like. Continue to log log log at all times, no matter if you slip up!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 weeks along and have gained 20 pounds and my OB is mad. I started out at 205, I had no idea I was only "supposed" to gain 10-15 pounds. She never said anything until after I gained 10 pounds in a month and a half (I was on vacation on Hawaii mind you). I switched my setting to maintenance and it gives me 2200 calories a day. I usually eat around 1700-2000 but I'm constantly hungry. My OB was hurtful and not helpful when talking to me about my weight. I haven't gained anything this week so we will bee what she says at my next app. Best of luck!
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    This is direct advisement from my obstetrician. At almost 32% BMI my baby's health will not suffer. Your body will always take for baby and deplete your stores for your own use.
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    I'm 25 weeks along and have gained 20 pounds and my OB is mad. I started out at 205, I had no idea I was only "supposed" to gain 10-15 pounds. She never said anything until after I gained 10 pounds in a month and a half (I was on vacation on Hawaii mind you). I switched my setting to maintenance and it gives me 2200 calories a day. I usually eat around 1700-2000 but I'm constantly hungry. My OB was hurtful and not helpful when talking to me about my weight. I haven't gained anything this week so we will bee what she says at my next app. Best of luck!

I started at 175 but I am only 5ft 2inches. I had gestational diabetes last pregnancy that lead to issue with my daughter's breathing and it was all very scary. Thankfully, my doctor has been very kind and would never gripe at me for gaining more. Maintenance setting gives me 1820 cals a day which I think is plenty. I know one only needs 300 extra calories a day for a healthy pregnancy. My 15 month old is down to only 3 nursing sessions a day now so my appetite is finally a bit more normal. At the beginning it was ridiculous. I'm sorry your provider was not more tactful or helpful. Good luck with your baby and staying healthy!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    This is direct advisement from my obstetrician. At almost 32% BMI my baby's health will not suffer. Your body will always take for baby and deplete your stores for your own use.

I stated this before. I only gained 14 pounds during pregnancy and my start weight was 108. I ate nutritiously and saw my OBGYN regularly. She never expressed concern about the weight gain (or lack thereof). Once my husband asked the OBGYN about my lack of recommended weight gain, and she replied that the baby is doing well, growing perfectly...it will take from my resources, if it isn't getting what it needs.

I had a very healthy diet, and my baby was born perfectly healthy. he is a beautiful toddler now with lots of energy and very smart (okay, all moms say that about their kids). he has been exceeding all milestones. I think I focused on eating so healthily...that my calories were not that dense. I ate lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, yogurt, lean meats, fiber cereal. so i didn't gain a lot of weight.

my point is...if your OBGYN supports your decision, feel confident in that unless your gut tells you otherwise. In which case, start looking for different OBGYNs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Following her OB's advice for weight is worrying about her baby's health. Gaining too much weight during preganancy can be as dangerous for the baby as the mother, perhaps more so.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Just be careful that your baby is getting proper nutrition. That is much more important then gaining weight!

My mom was told the nineties that she shouldn't gain much weight with her pregnancy and that she should continue her strict exercise program. so she did. I was OK, but my two brothers after me came VERY premature and had to spend weeks in the hospital.
    She met a holistic doctor her next pregnancy who told her the premature births and health problems were a simple lack of nourishment. She put my mom on a diet that included two eggs, two cup of spinach, whole grains etc.

Yeah...my mom gained about 20 pounds her following three pregnancies, but none of the births were premature and all the kids were healthy. To me that proves that nutrition should be the focus...not the scale. Plus breast feeding will melt those pounds right off if you go back to eating normally after the pregnancy.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when you are battling weight while pregnant. With my first pregnancy I was obese and gained - I honestly have no idea how much. My Dr never said anything. He was very nice. We pretended my weight didn't exist sometimes. I didn't gain an obscene amount but I did gain more than what I should be at an obese level. I was happy he didn't say anything mean but in retrospect I wish he would have been more forthcoming from the FIRST appointment.

Be mindful of what you put in your body. Don't restrict yourself if you are legitimately hungry and don't "eat for two" as even in the 3rd trimester women of an average weight only need an additional 300 calories per day. Stay active even just walking. If you gain a little bit more than intended and are eating overall a healthy diet you know you are doing OK. I don't mean to gain twice as much as recommended as this can cause serious complications for yourself and your baby. It's much better than not eating enough or only eating junk and gaining the 'appropriate" weight. Just be mindful of your nutrition.

You can probably find an RD who specializes in OB. Meet with them one time for suggestions and a plan.

And congratulations :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you've had 4 what is your typical gain?
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Using MFP while pregnant and try not to overeat while pregnant is a good idea in any case. I joined MFP 10 months prior pregnancy and I was successfully losing weight based on the calorie recommendation, but the whole calorie in and calorie out theory went out on the window while was pregnant.

Just as before ,I was consistently recording everything on MFP during my entire pregnancy with baby #2 and still gained 65 lb. I wasn't obese prior to pregnancy, but I was overweight (BMI=27) and really wanted to gain only minimal amount. I set my calorie limit to maintenance for the first 5 months , and gained 40 lb during those months. I set my calorie limit to the recommended maintenance +250 calorie a day(=0.5 lb gain per week) in the last 3 months and I gained another 25 lb. I wanted to cry every time I step on a scale.

My Dr was very supportive though. She never said anything about my weight gain. When I asked she said that all my results are normal, there are no gestation diabetes, no blood pressure issues, the baby was perfectly normal. Hence the weight gain is only an aesthetic issue that I have to deal with after the baby.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have my gestational diabetes test coming up. My blood pressure was up last visit because I was stressed about my weight. My OB had made comments on my previous visit. The thing is, she never asked about what I eat or anything like that. She didn't say "you are over weight to begin with so we want to keep you in a range of X to X pounds". I'm constantly hungry but I feel like I have a complex about eating now. My next appointment is with a different Dr, hopefully I can talk to her more about it.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am using this site to shed weight before TTC. Thank you for posting this. I am not there yet but it is a question I may have in the future. Congrats on your pregnancy! I wish you the best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    you've had 4 what is your typical gain?

There really hasn't been a typical for me. I had twins the first time. I started slightly underweight at around 95 lbs. I spent from 23wks to 34 in the hospital on medication for contraction, a constant I.V, strict bed rest and had to do steroid injections. I weighed 189 the day I was released and delivered my twins the next day. My 2nd pregnancy I started at 116lb and got up to 168. I lost most of it and dropped down to about 125 and stayed there for several years until I started putting on weight around age 26. My last pregnancy I started around 170lbs and weighed 189 the day I gave birth. I dropped to 168 within 11 days but put 7lbs back on in about 2 weeks and it's stayed there.
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    I have my gestational diabetes test coming up. My blood pressure was up last visit because I was stressed about my weight. My OB had made comments on my previous visit. The thing is, she never asked about what I eat or anything like that. She didn't say "you are over weight to begin with so we want to keep you in a range of X to X pounds". I'm constantly hungry but I feel like I have a complex about eating now. My next appointment is with a different Dr, hopefully I can talk to her more about it.

That's terrible! I was sent to a registered dietician last pregnancy once I was diagnosed with GD. I didn't gain very much last pregnancy in comparison to my others. Try not to stress too much about what your OB thinks as far as how she personally feels about your gain and any judgment. Just focus on your health and the health of your baby. I don't feel constantly hungry but do have "bored" eating habit that I've been trying to kick. Ask for a referral. They didn't have me count calories but mainly watch my carb intake. I was told to limit carbs to 30-45g per meal and 15g for snacks. I should have stuck with it once I delivered but breast feeding made me so very hungry and I wasn't mindful of what I was eating. I think I binged after delivery because I couldn't have so many things during the pregnancy due to the diabetes. Good luck and I hope the next Dr you see is more understanding.
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    Good luck! This baby was conceived while I had a Paragard IUD. My last we actively tried for and even though I was overweight I was in better shape overall.