Half Marathon Running tips

Options
Hey everyone,

Yesterday a friend reached out and asked me to run a half marathon with her in April. I have run a couple 5k's with small periods of walking to catch my breath. I am just wondering about training tips from people who have run a half marathon before. Esp from people who like me hate running. Any tips would be great. I told her that I would train from now until February 15th and if I was getting closer than I would do it. Part of me is scared and part of me feels challenged.

Replies

• sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump- I'm interested in some tips as well.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just did my first half marathon a couple weeks ago after starting running September 2nd. I ran the entire 13.1 and that is the furthest I have ever gone. The rush from being in a race helps keep you going. Just make sure you put in some long runs during your training. You have plenty of time to work up to 13 miles. Prior to the race I had only gone 8 miles straight without walk breaks. And I only used the treadmill. So I was worried that my time would be much slower since it was outside in 39 degree weather with some hills. However, I ended up running at a faster pace than I do on the treadmill and got a better time that expected.

I did about 3-4 runs each week. Walk/run 5 miles a couple times and then a long slower pace. Started with 7 miles and finally made it up to a couple 11 milers with one 13.1 just to see how it felt. I certainly didn't win the race at 2:19:30 but I did beat more than 4,000 finishers so that was nice. Good luck.

BTW-my wife ran it with me. Her first as well and she trained far less than I did. Her longest run was 5 miles and she ran the whole half, only fell behind after the 10th mile when I picked up my pace. She finished 2:25:50.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I just completed my first half in October. I am a fairly new runner too. I started running last year (up to 3 miles).

For training, i googled half marathon training and a lot of different programs came up. Just find one that works for you.

I ran at least 3 times a week, sometimes 4 and one day was a long run (Sundays for me). I always took Mondays off to recover. My long run days were the days i increased my miles and i did not worry about speed or time on those days, they were long slow runs. I also incorporated a farkel run one day a week (just google farkel).

Days i did not run i usually biked but i always took Monday off completely (except for maybe a dog walk). I also did some weight lifting 2-3 days a week but nothing too strenuous.

I was up to 12 miles the week before the race. I was hoping to be over 13 to feel better the day of but it just did not work out for me that way (vacation and other stuff popped up). But i was ok for the race.

I completed it much faster than i had in training (2 hrs 8 min - good for me) and i think that was due to keeping up with all the people.

One recommendation - use the bathroom before you get to the race. I was not prepared for that many people and the lines for the bathrooms were extremely long. So i was not able to go before the race, i had to stop at one of the port a potties.

Biggest downfall is the amount of time you have to set aside for training. Otherwise it was a nice race and i would maybe do another one.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    check out marathonrookie.com. There is a training plan for first time half marathon runners. I used it when I ran my first half 3 years ago. It was not intimidating compared to some of the other plans out there but it will definitely get you prepared.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    When I ran my first half, I had slowly built up my mileage over a few months. That being said, you can also look at Hal Higdon's plans (halhigdon.com). I follow his marathon plans to prep for those.
    That all being said, you're going to have a hard time with it if you "hate running". Doing 13.1 miles is no small feat and it takes a lot of miles beforehand. If you don't like to run, you're not going to enjoy that. Hopefully, as you do more of it and feel more comfortable with it, you'll like it more.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did my second 1/2 marathon in October. I am a poster child for doing things the wrong way, so I hope you will be encouraged to get in adequate training. The first half I did I walked with a friend, and we walked so fast that I almost could not finish because I cramped up so bad. I had already been doing long distance walking but not at that pace. This year I did the same race just wanting to better myself from the year before. I don't consider myself a runner, so my plan was to jog a mile walk a mile through out the race. I had never jogged farther than a 5k prior to the race. I did distance walks each week increasing my mileage with episodes of jogging mixed in. I also did a lot of bike riding (usually 10 miles) and workouts on the elliptical for cardiovascular endurance (I have asthma) along with weight lifting at least 4 times per week. On the day of the race I ran the first 6 1/2 miles without stopping at a 10-11 mins a mile pace. After that I did the alternating jog a mile, walk a mile. I ended up jogging 9 miles that day. Definitely adrenaline took over. I was shocked at what I was able to do. I immediately started stiffening up after the race and by the next day I could not move at all without extreme pain. That lasted for 5 days. So I encourage you to do proper training or pay the price!!!! I did consider doing another 1/2 three weeks later but figured I'd better not. So despite not liking to run and not properly training I still had fun and surprised myself. Test everything out first, what clothes you'll wear, pre-meals and timing, etc so you won't have any surprises the day of the race.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Shoes. Get yourself fitted for running shoes at a proper running store. They will put you on a treadmill and determine if you are a pronator, supinator, high arch, low arch, etc. It makes a freaking HUGE difference in comfort and safety!

I have ran half marathons with worn out shoes and felt the pain for weeks.

I recently ran a full marathon with proper shoes and insoles and I had zero pain. A bit of soreness and stiffness but no pain.

Edit: because I didn't read the OP original post!
  • EmilioA
    EmilioA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of training plans online, you can do this!

A note about going to a shoe store and getting fitted for shoes: I did this last week. I was told I was "normal" I ended up buying a pair of $120 shoes because that's what the sales guy suggested. I ran in them once and walked in them for 3 days and they hurt so bad. My feet and calves were cramping just walking a mile. I took them back to the store and had them order the same shoes I was training in (because I never had issues with them). Just sharing a different experience with a shoe store. I felt taken advantage of (my own fault/issue) and spent $120 when I could have bought the same shoes I was already using for $60 somewhere else. More expensive does not equal better in my experience.

I also "hated" running. Except then I realized I didn't really hate it. I love the way I feel when I am done, even if I was dreading the run earlier in the day. That feeling is addictive - it's what keeps me going. Some good advice I've received - focus on the mile you're in. It's really easy when you are running 3 miles to get down on yourself because you're imagining 13.1 and it seems impossible. Focus on what you're doing today, not what you will be doing 3-4 months from now. Follow the training plan and you'll be ok.

Good luck!
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    x2 for hal higdon plans, he has great training plans for all types of runners. Just trust the training plan you choose and don't overdo your training, some people will add days of running or run longer than the plan says and feel burnt out by race day
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Look up a training program. Someone said Hal Higdon, I second this! Here is the link to his novice 1 training plan http://halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
    I have run 3 halfs so far and love them!! If you don't have good running shoes you really should get a pair. Go to a running store like someone else said.
    They are a blast!! Have fun!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of training plans online, you can do this!

A note about going to a shoe store and getting fitted for shoes: I did this last week. I was told I was "normal" I ended up buying a pair of $120 shoes because that's what the sales guy suggested. I ran in them once and walked in them for 3 days and they hurt so bad. My feet and calves were cramping just walking a mile. I took them back to the store and had them order the same shoes I was training in (because I never had issues with them). Just sharing a different experience with a shoe store. I felt taken advantage of (my own fault/issue) and spent $120 when I could have bought the same shoes I was already using for $60 somewhere else. More expensive does not equal better in my experience.

I also "hated" running. Except then I realized I didn't really hate it. I love the way I feel when I am done, even if I was dreading the run earlier in the day. That feeling is addictive - it's what keeps me going. Some good advice I've received - focus on the mile you're in. It's really easy when you are running 3 miles to get down on yourself because you're imagining 13.1 and it seems impossible. Focus on what you're doing today, not what you will be doing 3-4 months from now. Follow the training plan and you'll be ok.

Good luck!

Agreed. Do some homework about arches, pronation, supination, neutral, etc. Check the running forums and maybe yelp.com when investigating your local running stores. There are places out there that will try to sell you crap with alot of broscience and marketing buzzwords.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I ran a half this year and my best advice is to get into audio books and run in the mornings
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I went from a run/walk 5k to running a half without stopping in ten weeks. I am not at my goal weight or super fit, imo. I just put my mind to it and got it done! Since I could already do a 5k, I cut the first two weeks off of this schedule and had at it: http://www.self.com/images/pdf/run-a-half-marathon-plan.pdf

Tips: dedicate to your long runs, find a running buddy (even if they just walk and you loop around them), find new paths, sign up for a 10k, experiment with GU's, energy beans, and the like. Buy a water belt - when you pass 7 miles, you're gonna start getting thirsty. Try your hardest on the sprint days - bring a cheerleader! My performance always skyrocketed the week after sprints. Put your run schedule on your calendar and make it a priority... especially once your training runs get longer. It's so easy to bump them down or commit to something else! Keep your head high, and GOOD LUCK!!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try a couple of 10k's if you can. When i ran my first 1/2 marathon they told me to just slow down my 10 K pace. Try running at your 5 k pace and slow down to see if you can extend to 10k
  • njbuesing
    njbuesing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started running last year (October, 2013). I ran two 1/2 marathons this year (June and October) and already have signed up for 2 next year and 1 marathon next year (my first).

I researched some online training schedules, but came up with my own based on looking at them. You need to make one that will work with your schedule, otherwise, it won't work and you will give up on it (in my opinion).

I only ran around 3x/week when training for my first 1/2. Each week I tried to do 2 short runs (around 5K) and one long run. I tried to only add 1 mile to my long run each week; to where I would run 13.1 miles at the end of week 9 (3 weeks prior to my race). As you can see, however, I failed at that and it wasn't that rigid. Sometimes I went out with a given distance in mind and decided to run longer. There are times I shoudn't have done that, but I did.

Here was the schedule I used for my weekly long run; personally, I don't recommend this exactly, since you can see I added more than 10% in my distance for a given week. That being said, I think the idea works.

week 1: 5 miles
    week 2: 6 miles
    week 3: 7 miles
    week 4: 7.5 miles
    week 5: off
    week 6: 9 miles
    week 7: 10 miles
    week 8: 11.5 miles
    week 9: 13.1 miles
    week 10: 10 miles
    week 11: 7 miles
    week 12 : race (13.1).

Again, this is just a baseline, but you will see this in most training programs: 1 of your runs / week should be adding distance. Also, try to avoid adding more than 10%. I failed at doing that, and I did get Plantar Fascitis, but was able to correct it with stretches and a roller.

Now after you run your first one, and you get that rush, you will probably run another looking for a PR. Just remember, running faster makes you tired, running more makes you faster. So the key is to log more miles (and you will naturally get faster at least initially).
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Tips: dedicate to your long runs, find a running buddy (even if they just walk and you loop around them), find new paths, sign up for a 10k, experiment with GU's, energy beans, and the like. Buy a water belt - when you pass 7 miles, you're gonna start getting thirsty. Try your hardest on the sprint days - bring a cheerleader! My performance always skyrocketed the week after sprints. Put your run schedule on your calendar and make it a priority... especially once your training runs get longer. It's so easy to bump them down or commit to something else! Keep your head high, and GOOD LUCK!!

Im very anti water-belt, I much prefer training yourself to not be dependent on water when running and to plan your long runs (6+ miles) around a location where you can stop and get a drink if you really need to. It trains you to properly hydrate before and after you run, and taking too much fluid during a race can be problematic so I think its better to just cut the umbilical cord on the need for water or not even get started with a water belt.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering about training tips from people who have run a half marathon before. Esp from people who like me hate running.

Do something else. Seriously. If you hate running, why would you put yourself through 2 hours or so of misery? Find something you enjoy and do that.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful tips. I read them all and cant wait to look up the links and get started with a plan. I guess I should have worded my 'hate' for running. I just haven't found the love for running but I do it. I just can't get to the point where I get excited to do it. I feel excited about other times of working out. With running, I do it because it burns a lot of calories and it helps me get in shape and most of all I like how I feel accomplished after the fact, but I am just not one of those people who is like whoo hooo running. but i have done several 5k's =)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful tips. I read them all and cant wait to look up the links and get started with a plan. I guess I should have worded my 'hate' for running. I just haven't found the love for running but I do it. I just can't get to the point where I get excited to do it. I feel excited about other times of working out. With running, I do it because it burns a lot of calories and it helps me get in shape and most of all I like how I feel accomplished after the fact, but I am just not one of those people who is like whoo hooo running. but i have done several 5k's =)

I would strongly suggest running with a partner / group. For me that is the best part of running, and what differentiates it from a lot of sports -- you can have great conversations while you are running. Indeed, most training should be done at a "conversational" pace, so that's an opportunity to connect with folks.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    bump, I'm doing an 8k on thanksgiving but I would consider doing a half in the spring if i felt i could continue running in the cold winter (cold for me)