Body Image

Options
I want to lose 30 more pounds and all I hear is " you're fine the way you are" or " you'll be too skinny" No, I'll still be at a healthy weight for my height. I'm 5'8" and 171 pounds. I did SO well on MFP when I joined last year but the 1200 calorie diet had me sick and in the hospital after two months. I was losing 3 to 4 pounds a week which seemed great but was too much too soon and it scared me off of continuing.

I reset my calorie goal for 1500 a day and I'm OK with losing it slower.

I will do it. I will be healthier. I will be thin.

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is best.

I'm almost 35 years old, 5'11 and 147 and feel and look good. So, keep going with your bad self in a healthy way! Never let anyone influence how you feel about you. You are the one that has to look at it in the mirror! BTW. I never ate lower than 1500 calories a day (190-147).
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My mother in law is the same way when I talk about losing weight, saying things like "you'll be too skinny" or "you'll look skin and bones". Those things aren't helpful, and I know what is best for my body.

Good luck with your 1500 cals! Slow and steady is best and also you won't be depriving yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They're probably saying things like that because 1. You look a lot thinner than you used to and 2. Last time you tried losing weight you ended up in the hospital, which is very scary.

Let them know you're losing it the healthy way if they show concern, and stick with it.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    Eating a healthy amount is always a good idea. But maybe take stock of what others are saying to you and not see it in a necessarily negative light. Let them know you are trying to be healthy and that's the end of it. If they are genuinely concerned for your health tell them that you are exactly at a healthy weight for your height. But PLEASE don't continue just to fit some ideal body image that you may have in your mind.
    Be Healthy and Blessed.
    ShaSimone
  • rosemary98
    Options
    They're probably saying things like that because 1. You look a lot thinner than you used to and 2. Last time you tried losing weight you ended up in the hospital, which is very scary.

Let them know you're losing it the healthy way if they show concern, and stick with it.

sometimes (not suggesting this is the case) family, friends and especially spouses can get intimidated by a loved one losing weight. maybe they are overweight themselves, maybe they want to be the "thin one" or maybe having a signficant other that is heavier is a means of control.
  • Dockbob
    Dockbob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I suggets you just keep it real & stay healthy as you reduce

I am on a slow tack form around 290 down to 250

I recently participated in an endurance event & didn't loose mass but changed shape because of the loss/burn off of body fat so I am very happy with this outcome

I will now continue to work on the next 15 # and see if I can manage it by Jan. 1, 2014

peace d2
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

sometimes (not suggesting this is the case) family, friends and especially spouses can get intimidated by a loved one losing weight. maybe they are overweight themselves, maybe they want to be the "thin one" or maybe having a signficant other that is heavier is a means of control.

That's always a possibility, but since the OP ended up in the hospital last time she dieted, concern is a very possible reason in this instance.