Should I just quit trying treadmill?

Options

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is a great workout. No one says you have to run on the treadmill either. You can walk .. it will do just as good a job. Just find a pace that is good for you.

I do the treadmill a couple of times a week .. and always get a great workout.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I can't run worth a d*** because of my knees and treadmills seem to be even worse - I have to do that for stress tests. Bicycling is better for me, and swimming. Build in some sprints in both. That should get your lung capacity and endurance up a bit. But running - ouch!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Say what you want about running on a treadmill, but there is no way I am running outside in 20 degree weather with 3 inches of slushy, snow-ice crappola all over every sidewalk and street from about now through May.

I enjoy running outside but I also enjoy the small comfort of running in shorts in a temperature controlled gym on a treadmill as well.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running and even newer to the elliptical. I did the C25K program and it really does work. I started through it a second time but my running shoes broke down and right now I can't afford new ones. Good shoes are a must.

My favorite place to run is one the trails though. I absolutely hate the treadmill but my lungs don't do well in the high humidity and crappy air pollution of my area so I have no choice during July and August.

Having done both, running works your muscles in a completely different way and like someone else already pointed out has a much greater impact on your body. It takes time to get used to that. But it's also addicting. Have fun, take your time, get good shoes, and learn to enjoy it. You won't regret it. Btw, I burn more calories in 30 minutes of running than 30 minutes on the elliptical per my heart rate monitor.
  • My Question is are you Trying to Lose Weight or Tone Out? When I joined my Gym Last Year. I Started on the Treadmill I didn't Notice any Results I decided to go on the Elliptical,Arc Trainer & Stairs. The Pounds went off Quicker. I would Suggest If you do these Machines I would Recommend doing Intervals beat it Raises your Heart Rate and its also like Skiing and your using your Entire body.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Do a run/walk. If you can't breath or you feel like you're about to pass out you're going to fast. SLOW DOWN. If you want to do steady state cardio (which would be keeping around the same heart rate for the duration of the exercise) then go slower. If you can't maintain a jog for 5 minutes then run 2 minutes walk 1 minute at a brisk pace.

Intervals are critical for getting started on the treadmill. Trying to do steady state endurance runs on a treadmill is incredibly painful for beginner runners. Focus on doing intervals at first, and then work in a longer distance steady state run outside every week.
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Remember that after a good cardio workout, your body continues to burn calories at a higher rate for hours.

This^
    BUMP
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OOOooorrrrr you could just get a good Heart Rate Monitor!!!
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OOOooorrrrr you could just get a good Heart Rate Monitor!!!

This won't help you deal with the treadmill, but you can do the elliptical and have a better idea of what you ARE burning
  • ElizabethWillNotFail
    Options
    My Question is are you Trying to Lose Weight or Tone Out? When I joined my Gym Last Year. I Started on the Treadmill I didn't Notice any Results I decided to go on the Elliptical,Arc Trainer & Stairs. The Pounds went off Quicker. I would Suggest If you do these Machines I would Recommend doing Intervals beat it Raises your Heart Rate and its also like Skiing and your using your Entire body.

I am trying to lose weight.
  • ElizabethWillNotFail
    Options
    I couldn't run a mile without walking half of it the first week of September, and now I can run 60 minutes with no walking. Here were the secrets for me:

1) Don't be ashamed of walking. Run/job for a few minutes or whatever you can, and then walk for a few minutes. Then Run/jog again, and then walk for a few minutes. After time your walking will begin to reduce and your runs will get longer.

2) MIX IT UP and keep it interesting. For example when you walk try to increase the incline maybe to 2-4%. Or when you when you run go harder on a few of the intervals (HIIT), but keep the durration lower. Then walk again. Then do a slower jog but with a longer durration. Keep it interesting and grow into your abilities.

3) Mix up your cardio to keep it interesting. I love to run, but at 42 it's not as easy on my body as when I was in High School. So I mix some eliptical as well every other or every 3rd or 4th cardio session to keep the pounding down a bit. Or try to add some biking or anything else that will give you a good burn, but simply change it up from time to time.

I hope that helps and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Thank you, I guess my problem is that I've always felt that walking was a waste of time on the treadmill because of the fewer calories you burn when you walk. I will restart Treadmill today and try the intervals and build it from there.
  • ElizabethWillNotFail
    Options

Fortunately, I got over myself and started getting some mileage. Last week I finished my first marathon. ;) It only took 8 years and 80 lbs to get there!

That's inspiring.

Thank you
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    Say what you want about running on a treadmill, but there is no way I am running outside in 20 degree weather with 3 inches of slushy, snow-ice crappola all over every sidewalk and street from about now through May.

I enjoy running outside but I also enjoy the small comfort of running in shorts in a temperature controlled gym on a treadmill as well.
    ^^ This plus my OH knows where I am and that I haven't fallen/injured myself in some isolated area or been attacked on the streets. He gets peace of mind I get comfort and whether I use the elyptical or treadmill depends on how my arthritic knees and hips are feeling.

PS if I want to stop and rest have a couple of minutes sit down, or change to free-weights for a while I can, there is no way I can do that on the track or road
  • acoustictones
    Options
    I couldn't run a mile without walking half of it the first week of September, and now I can run 60 minutes with no walking. Here were the secrets for me:

1) Don't be ashamed of walking. Run/job for a few minutes or whatever you can, and then walk for a few minutes. Then Run/jog again, and then walk for a few minutes. After time your walking will begin to reduce and your runs will get longer.

2) MIX IT UP and keep it interesting. For example when you walk try to increase the incline maybe to 2-4%. Or when you when you run go harder on a few of the intervals (HIIT), but keep the durration lower. Then walk again. Then do a slower jog but with a longer durration. Keep it interesting and grow into your abilities.

3) Mix up your cardio to keep it interesting. I love to run, but at 42 it's not as easy on my body as when I was in High School. So I mix some eliptical as well every other or every 3rd or 4th cardio session to keep the pounding down a bit. Or try to add some biking or anything else that will give you a good burn, but simply change it up from time to time.

I hope that helps and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Thank you, I guess my problem is that I've always felt that walking was a waste of time on the treadmill because of the fewer calories you burn when you walk. I will restart Treadmill today and try the intervals and build it from there.

Feel free to message me with your email address if you'd like me to email a PDF copy of a walk/run study. To many people stop running because they feel that they are waisting time by doing a little running/jogging and then walking. There are a lot of trainers that promote this. You still get a ton of benefits from it and you end up getting where you want to be with it over time. I ran for 20 years and ended up having to take time off due to arthritis and surgeries. I hadn't run in over 3 years as of September and there is no way I could make it a mile without walking half of it. It was depressing and demoralizing for me (affects everyone differently), but I kept it up until I could walk/jog 2 miles. Then walk job 3-4. Etc. I'm now running at a very good pace for a full hour with NO walking. I can't tell you how happy I am that I did not let my ego or depression win the battle... and for me it really was discouraging that I couldn't even jog a mile after running for over 20 years. I used to run the mile in under 5 minutes and 5k's in 15:45, and I had to just realize that doing a walk/jog routine for awhile was all my body could handle.

All my best to you. Again I say YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I prefer jogging so much more outside. I can measure out the distance I WANT to run and know if I jog there I have to get back, so there's no "STOP" button where I can just give in. And if I have to come back from that point I might as well push myself and try and jog it out. I went from being unable to jog a half mile a month ago to running 3.1 miles. (And I was doing this in the morning AND after work.)

Then the cold hit and I got sick trying to run outside.:(

I now go to the gym and use the treadmill exclusively. It's hard not to get bored but using the ipod on the treadmill has been great. Some tunes ar really great and inspiring that I do my little Rocky impersonation and I throw jabs as I'm jogging..lol I prolly look like a dork. Even with the tunes I can't seem to muster more than appx 2.25 miles before I stop. I miss running outside and can't wait until it starts warming up!

As another one suggested, slow down the speed when ya get tired and walk a bit and you get to where you WANT to run because it feels like you're reenergized and you'll be able to jog a but longer as opposed to just stopping and giving up.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What machine you use is not all that important unless you have maxed out its capabilities. Without a HRM you can judge the intensity level using the rate of perceived exertion scale (see link below). Do what you can and it will all come with time and persistence.

http://trilifecoaching.blogspot.ca/2010/06/importance-of-rpe.html
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

No thanks. Treadmills are great but there is no better feeling than finishing a strong run in the snow, rain, freezing temps or blazing sun. You have to be safe but challenging the elements is half the fun!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well then we would call you a quitter...
    is that a good thing?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why would you give up on the treadmill? Shouldn't it be about improving yourself?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest C25K.

I've struggled with running for the last 18 months but never giving in. Finally yesterday I managed to hit the 2 miles mark and run for 27 minutes. My previous best was 15 mins maximum and the runners high was amazing and worth the effort.

Keep going and you will finally get there.