Heavy lifting women

I'm new to the heavy lifting and want to get an idea of a routine that I should do. What are some routines that you women are doing that are working for you?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, 5/3/1 are a few great programs to start with.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    From user fivethreeone - she's posted loads of great info/advice on here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fivethreeone/view/how-did-i-workout-570888
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Have a look at Jamie eason's life fit, starting strength, strong lifts or the new rules of lifting for women. All got groups on here with more information on them. (life fit and strong lifts are free online) I personally did the new rules rules when I started....
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    I'm a 5/3/1 kinda girl.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Read what everyone else has said, do a lot of google searches, and then choose or design a program that works for you.

I moved from a three day a week total body workout to a four day a week split halves workout. I love it. :) I'm also going to start adding in some cardio because I can now squat half my body weight but I still can't run a mile lol.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any questions!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    From user fivethreeone - she's posted loads of great info/advice on here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fivethreeone/view/how-did-i-workout-570888

Fivethreeone knows what she's talking about. +1 recommendation.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    <~~~~ 5/3/1 over here!
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Started just over a month ago. I read New rules for lifting for women for information, and stronglifts.
    My routine is

5x5 barbell squat
    5x5 barbell row
    5x5 Over head press
    5x5 Chest press
    5x5 lunge with weights (per leg)

I'm hoping I'm going in the right direction with compounds not isolation!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Started just over a month ago. I read New rules for lifting for women for information, and stronglifts.
    My routine is

5x5 barbell squat
    5x5 barbell row
    5x5 Over head press
    5x5 Chest press
    5x5 lunge with weights (per leg)

I'm hoping I'm going in the right direction with compounds not isolation!

Right direction yes but the program is not complete without the deadlift. Swap the lunge with deadlifts =)
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    I actually do deadlifts as well! I knew one was missing! Do it at home, and am not sure on my form so need to find a decent video to make sure I'm standing correctly, I always feel a slight pull on my lower back-not sure if this is right! x
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    <--- 5/3/1 here as well :)

have done livefit in the past (geared more to fat burning) but i got very lean on it

stronglifts and new fules are also good suggestions
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Thanks, guys! I started doing Stronglifts and I LOVE it! Deadlifts are by far my favorite lift.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    <--- 5/3/1 here as well :)

have done livefit in the past (geared more to fat burning) but i got very lean on it

stronglifts and new fules are also good suggestions

Question: Were you following the LiveFit diet, or did you get lean from the routine itself?