Super bad cold, and so, so hungry. WHY??

Options
So, I have a really bad (like, can't breathe out of my nose and my face is raw from so many kleenex's today) cold. I don't feel sick really, just the cold symptoms. The really weird thing though is that I am so hungry, moreso than any day since I have started MFP. Is there any science to that? Do we burn more calories when we are fighting off cold bugs? And no, I'm not asking becasue I want to add them back or anything, just curious if this happens to other people.

The crazy thing is that I can't taste anything and yet I still want to eat more. Luckily I was prepared with lots of "good" food choices in my lunch bag, although in hindsight the protein light lunch was probably not a good choice today! Hopefully the chili that my husband is making will help take the edge off the hunger tonight and I am not driven to snack all night long- I don't want to un-do all of my hard work of the last month!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Not sure. I've felt a cold coming on the last two days and have been the same way. I've been eating all day today.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I know I am always hungry when I have a cold. It seems weird to me also.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If your body is fighting a major infection, that surely requires a bit more fuel... why not go up to maintenance while you're sick? Maybe at least have some protein powder mixed with OJ, if you have vanilla it tastes like an Orange Julius :)
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the science of it either, but I do know that I usually feel the same way when sick. I normally just toss my diet in the trash for a few days and make sure my body has plenty of whatever it needs to get well. I usually lose a bit of weight over those few days, too. But either way, it's better to take a hit on the diet for a few days than to spend any more time being sick than absolutely necessary!
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Maybe our grandmothers had it right with feed a cold and starve a fever.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    When I get sick I crave snacks, the sicker I am the stronger the cravings, especially candy (reese's peanut butter cups mmmmmm).

Luckily I don't get sick often.

I don't get "cravings" any other time.

Interesting that others have similar experience. Hopefully a friendly nerd will chime in with some sciency type stuff.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How is it weird? Your body is trying to repair itself.

When you work out, you're supposed to fuel your body well enough to repair itself. The same thing happens if you're fighting something. Your body needs more calories when it's fighting an infection, etc.

Your immune system gets lowered when eating at a deficit, particularly for a longer period of time. It's a good idea to eat closer to, or at maintenance, when you're sick.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I sympathize. I have a cold too, and it's getting worse by the hour. Thankfully I had nose surgery last year so I can (mostly) breathe through my nose still. And my nasal rinse is my friend right now. And breathe right strips are a lifesaver at night.

I'm telling myself that whatever extra calories I might burn from fighting this will hopefully counteract the lack of exercise in the next couple days... Kids are off school 3 days this week and I'm just not going to the gym like this. Just hoping I feel good enough for a workout tomorrow.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've had the most dreadful cold symptoms for 14 days since I had the flu jab and have felt exactly the same! Chew my own arm off hungry!! I presume it's because our bodies need the extra energy to fight off the virus, although I can't back this up with science. Sneezes, yes. Science, no! :laugh:
  • sassmouthpower
    Options
    The old saying goes 'feed a cold, starve a flu', you need to eat and listen to your body!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The old saying goes 'feed a cold, starve a flu', you need to eat and listen to your body!

Feed a cold starve a fever. That's the saying.

But yeah one of the drawbacks to a cold is hunger. It's your body trying to grab as much fighting power as possible. But relax a cold only lasts 5 days, and then it's good to know you will never get that cold again; your body becomes immune to that particular strain of cold. You are also most infectious before your symptoms appear; that's how it's so hard to stop it spreading.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too! Mine is sore throat though. I decided when I woke up that I was gonna go out and get my favorite high calorie breakfast, and the rest of the day unlimited chicken soup with veggies, maybe some rice or noodles. Lots of tea...I usually forego sweeteners, but today...all the honey I want. I should log it...but ugh I feel so yucky I don't wanna think!

I hope you feel better soon!
  • robinb07
    robinb07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I guess it makes sense that the body needs more fuel to fight a cold. I just usually think about not being hungry while being sick.

I hope everybody is feeling better soon!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend eating at maintenance to give your body the proper fuel without risking weight gain. I usually feel like I need more fuel when I'm sick, but sometimes I have no appetite.