How good does a compliment feel!!

Options
Hey guys, I am 22 and weight around 9 and a half stone (my scales have gone a bit funny this week so can't check my exact weight). I am 5ft 5 and approx. a uk dress size 10 to 12.
My friend who is the same age and about 2 inches shorter than me, is really slim and wears a uk dress size 6 to 8.

She kinda drives me insane at times because she goes on about feeling fat etc. when she is tiny and doesn't need to lose weight. When I'm trying to lose weight it is a bit annoying!

We were out in a club on Saturday night and got talking to a guy. My friend was really flirting with him and trying to dance infront of him etc. I was sat next to him just chatting and he said he thought I had an awesome body. I was quite shocked by this as I feel quite conscious about it at times. He went on to say my friend was far too skinny and he thought I looked amazing compared to her!

It felt sooo good to be told something nice about me compared to my friend, when I always see her as being a better weight than me!

Replies

• Fatoshie
    Fatoshie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I suggest you should try to spend less time with your "skinny" friend IF she puts you in a bad mood or something. the skinny people that I know (not close friends) are usually annoying, they eat a lot of things in front of you or they tease you with such things.
    Why spend time with a person who's not supportive, right?
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    Good for you and the compliment from the guy in the club! I'm glad that he was confident to give you such a compliment.

Your friend sounds like someone that I work with. She used to complain about how "fat" she was when she is a healthy weight and size for her body type. I would give anything to look like her. Whenever she would complain about being "fat" I would tell her in a firm but gentle way, that speaking like that makes me feel worse, because I have more then 100 pounds to loose rather then her needing to loose about 10 - 15 pounds.

If she keeps bothering you with those comments, tell her how much her friendship means to you, and to give her an idea of what it's like to always feel like "the bigger girl."

And that comment that guy gave you in the club, just proves that not all the skinny girls get the attention. Some guys like girls that are a little curvy. ;) And who knows, maybe your friend is too small. Being too thin can also have health complications like that of people who are over-weight.

Keep up the good work!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    While I agree with not hanging around your skinny friend as much, I also know that she may not mean to make you feel uncomfortable. I am not super thin, but I am thinner than I used to be. And sometimes I will say things to my friends about how I feel big today, or how if I eat such and such a thing, I will gain weight. I know a girl who is now super thin because she only ate 600 calories a day because she was sick. And as great as she probably looks, it doesn't mean she was healthy about loosing the weight. You need to focus on YOU and how YOU feel. You are a beautiful girl, and when he complimented you, he meant it! :)
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    That's great! The other day my close guy friend and I were having lunch and at one point he randomly stopped and just went, "you look really great today," like... just out of the blue, and he was looking at me in such a sincere way... it was so nice :-)
  • nicjane113
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    Whenever my friend says something like that I try to let it go over my head and not worry too much about it. I'm trying to lose a few lbs now and it's gradually coming off as I manage what I eat alot more. My aim is to be where I want by Christmas.

I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years now, we both have well paid jobs and have managed to afford our own house which we have done up and a lovely car. I love my relationship with him, I love my job, so to be quite honest my life is pretty great so why let a few extra lbs or a few harsh words from my friend bring me down when I have so many other things to smile about!