Pople who have lost 100 Pounds or more in a year or less

Options
Sadly I have been on and off with dieting and so on and have had enough of it and Want to give it my all this time. I am an 18 year old female. I would love to hear of your stories of losing a Significant amount of weight as my weight loss goal is 110 Pounds (50 Kilograms). I plan on Giving myself a year or so to do it and will push myself. I have great support but love hearing of people's journeys and how it gives me motivation. If you guys can I can to!

I am doing it to be healthier and understand It might take longer than a year. I just want to know if it's commonly achievable?

Replies

• soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're only 18? I say go with a 2 year plan, that will be 4lbs a month, totally doable on even the most modest of life style changes. Do it slow...lose it for life. ;)
  • toridehaven
    Options
    Hi there! "Giving" yourself a year may set you up to fail. What happens when the year is up if you haven't met your goal? Focus on a lifestyle change. I have 100 pounds to lose myself and it took more than a year to accumulate so I am giving myself as much time as needed to get healthy!
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Make little goals for yourself :) Your ultimate goal is always important but small goals "10 lbs," "20 lbs," etc. will help keep you motivated along the way!

Don't force yourself into a "time limit" if you can. Weight loss is interesting, sometimes it goes fast, sometimes it's a bit slower, as long as you stay in the right direction that is the most important thing :)

Keep positive! It's a journey and has ups and downs. Just keep your eye on the prize :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your 18..... Why rush it..... You didn't put it on over night and you certainly have a lot of years left to live so make your weight loss sustainable, don't set an arbitrary date on your weight loss. Just live your life eat within a modest calorie deficit and lose it the right way... Best of Luck
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    OP just wanted to add, take a look at the tickers of the people giving you advice....... :flowerforyou:
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above!
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I initially said I wanted to be half of me by June 2014. But a month into this, I started feeling so much better, I just made that my ULTIMATE Goal. 160 is a lot to lose in a year, not saying it can't be done, but it took 2 months to find a way of eating that worked for me! So that makes it 10 months to lose 160 lbs! So right now my goal is to continue to feel good, enjoy the extra energy, and do my best. I don't plan on losing just to gain again. I'm looking to change my life, and you would/couldn't believe how much it's already changed. If I make it by June GREAT! If I fall short at deadline, then I'll make it eventually! I've spent 20 years in this hell hole I call a body, and if it takes more time than I want to release myself...so be it. It's so hard to look to the future instead of the here and now. But if you do it the wrong way without changing your lifestyle, you will most certainly find yourself in the same predicament! HUGGZZ and you may add me if you wish!
  • jalisaruss
    Options
    I initially said I wanted to be half of me by June 2014. But a month into this, I started feeling so much better, I just made that my ULTIMATE Goal. 160 is a lot to lose in a year, not saying it can't be done, but it took 2 months to find a way of eating that worked for me! So that makes it 10 months to lose 160 lbs! So right now my goal is to continue to feel good, enjoy the extra energy, and do my best. I don't plan on losing just to gain again. I'm looking to change my life, and you would/couldn't believe how much it's already changed. If I make it by June GREAT! If I fall short at deadline, then I'll make it eventually! I've spent 20 years in this hell hole I call a body, and if it takes more time than I want to release myself...so be it. It's so hard to look to the future instead of the here and now. But if you do it the wrong way without changing your lifestyle, you will most certainly find yourself in the same predicament! HUGGZZ and you may add me if you wish!

THIS ^_^

I started out just thinking about my image and just how I wanted to LOOK better, but man, feeling great is so much more rewarding and if you feel great you'll look great!! :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do this in a year. People always seem to want deadlines, and I know from experience that when you have a lot of weight to lose, it seems impossible. I'd often think, "I have 120 to lose minimally. That will take at least a year. I don't want to wait a year."

But once I got through the first three months, losing weight became...kind of fun. I always had mini-goals to work toward (lose 40 pounds was my first one, then lose 50, then 75, and onward; also, I ALWAYS had new fitness goals: bench press 80; run my first mile; try a new group exercise class).

My point is: The destination is great, but the journey can be even better.

When I finally hit my goal weight, it was exciting and great, but honestly kind of anticlimactic. The truth is that I reached my goal gradually during the 15 years it took to lose weight. Every month was a success, in both new habits and new weight lows. Hitting the actual "goal weight" on the scale was secondary to staying dedicated and determined. How I *felt* mattered way more than what the scale said.

So....don't set yourself up for "I will lose 100 pounds in a year." In fact, don't even make a goal of 100 pounds. Make a goal of 25. Don't set a deadline. Focus on making small changes that you can live with forever.

All that said: Yes, I did lose 100 pounds in a year. I actually lost 120 in 12 months, and another 10-15 over the three months after that.

But that's not all that important. What is important is that in June of 2011 I changed my life, and I never looked back. I did not go on a diet, so there was nothing to cheat on or fail at. It was just all about becoming a better version of me. That's how I lost the weight. That's how I have maintained my weight loss for more than a year. That's why today was my 875th log-in day here. That's why I'm still motivated and striving. That's how I ran my first half marathon 10 days ago.

It's just about starting.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lovely!! :) I have a goal to lose 2lbs a month and I have 80 left to go (down 20 so far)... find a diet that works for you but does not restrict you from eating the things you enjoy and it will be way easier!!! :) It is a lifestyle change which means it equals forever!
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I lost my first one hundred pounds in about a year but remember slow and steady always wins the race. You shouldn't be losing more than 2 pounds a week for it to be healthy and long lasting. This is about changing your life so you take it one day at a time sometimes one moment at a time. Learn about what caused the weight gain in the first place. That has to be fixed before you can really be successful at any large amounts of weight loss and then setting yourself up with the tools like whole and healthy eating, moving more and limiting the junk food in your diet. It can be done. Be in no hurry to lose the weight you have the rest of your life.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I echo what everyone else is saying. Keep in mind if you only have 100 pounds to lose, it will take a while to lose the last bit because you are close to your goal weight. It took me 6 months just to lose 25 pounds, and it wasn't because I wasn't consistent. It just takes time!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Go slow! Learn about healthy food options and portions. Learn how to eat your favorite foods in moderation. Find a workout you lo ve but do mix it up. I been at this for 20 months.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Also, to make sure it lasts, try to talk to a counselor. The process has a better chance of being forever if you deal with whatever brought you to where you are now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!