Why am I gaining weight?

Options
So I started this account to get access to forums and get some feedback on this issue I'm having.

I'm eighteen years old and have been heavy for 15 years of that, and not just heavy, obese. Currently I'm 220 pounds and stand at 5'9". I decided last month to really lose some weight, I managed to lose 50 pounds a few years ago, but gained 30 of it back and now I want to get healthier. My mother and I both started a "life style change" not a diet about a month ago, I stopped all soda intake and I'm not afraid to say I was drinking 2-3 44oz big gulps a day, no fast food, nothing processed etc.

I knew from nutrition class that I needed around 1900 calories to stay at my current weight, so I cut back to 1400, thinking that was a reasonable number. I've been measuring EVERYTHING, to a point that I actually have a small bin in my refrigerator that I place all of my snacks, meals, etc. in everyday so I know that I can't eat anything else, just what's in the bin.

I also started walking 1-2 miles a day, it's not speed walking exactly, but a nice brisk pace.

When I started this a month ago I was 208 pounds, now, I'm 220. What am I doing wrong? It's so hard to keep going when that little needle keeps going up. I even cut my calories further last week to just 1000 to kick things into motion, but I've just gained more and more weight.

Replies

• heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you've cut back too much on your calorie intake. Try upping it to the 1900 for a week or two and see how you go...best of luck..I and 5"8' and weiged 209lbs - am now 152lbs. I made it a slow loss of no more than 1lb a week, and it worked. :smile:
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a doctor. You may have some sort of imbalance.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    switch to diet cola... 0 calories! A big gulp has so many calories with regular soda!
  • AlissaFL
    AlissaFL Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the 1400 calories sounded good and I wouldn't go below 1200 no matter what. Also the exercise sounds reasonable. I have no idea why you are gaining, but I know I have done the same thing. Just keep eating between 1400-1500 calories, exercise 3-5 times a week and I would recommend not eating back your exercise calories. See how that works for another month. If no loss and still gaining, I would see your doctor. Good luck! Don't get discouraged, just keep eating the right amount of calories, eating healthy and exercising.