Having difficulty eating enough calories

Options
Hi all! I recently started weight lifting and my nutritionist said to eat less carbs and more protein, which greatly cut my calorie intake. I'm only hitting about 1200-1300 calories a day and need to be eating a lot more, as I'm looking to build muscle and not lose weight. On a regular day I usually eat something along the lines of: an omelette for breakfast (eggs and veggies), snacking on greek yogurt/seeds/nuts, stir fry with tofu for lunch, snacking on avocado and/or seeds and nuts, veggie bean chili for dinner. + protein powder on days I go to the gym.

My question is: Are there any (vegetarian friendly) snacks or foods that have a high calorie content but are low in carbs?

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy ... carbs actually help get nutrition into your muscles ...
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't know about snacks for say, but look up bulletproof coffee. It will give you 300 calories, but it is all fat, however fat is needed to regulate hormones and aids in building muscle. Your diary is locked so I don't know what your fat/protein/carb count is to give really sound advice.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Nuts have lots of calories. Eat them like they're going out of style. :drinker:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter
  • LilyandO
    Options
    I have sour cream when I need to up the calories without adding the carbs. Works great and makes you feel satiated. Something about the fat makes me feel like I have had a full meal with no cravings after. I use light sour cream. Also, avocado, nuts, eggs and yes, peanut butter are great! Good luck :)
  • kehra
    kehra Posts: 4
    Options
    I know carbs are not the enemy and I do eat carbs in moderation. My previous diet was pretty much all carbs which is why I had to cut back.

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! Will definitely eat more nuts and sour cream as I love both haha. :)