Running NSV

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
I've been trying to run for the last 18 months - well since I started on here.

Started off right with shoes fitted at the local running store etc and using the C25K but ended up with shins splints and then my health took a nose dive so had to stop to this May.

Finally started again with new shoes and tried Zombie 5k which i love but however hard I tried I cannot get pas the 1.25 miles or 15 mins straight - even on the treadmill.

Tonight I set off as usual but instead off stopping at my normal place I kept running and running - got to 20 mins and just under 2 miles so I kept going. Reached the top of my road and had reached 1.97 so carried on past till I hit 2 miles and then headed back.

Tonight I ran for 27 mins and 2.16 miles in one go. I think the trick for me is to only look a few yards ahead as the hills ( I live in Yorkshire) always put me off.

Replies

• astange83
    Options
    Awesome job! The treadmill does me in as well I can't get more than a 15 min mile (mind you i'm stopping and walking between.) Yet outside I'm close to 12 min miles because I just look a little bit ahead (Still with walking, I'm not a real runner never will be.)

Next thing you know you'll be running a full 5k! Keep up the good work!
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! :drinker:
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, more than half way to 5 clics!
  • JMRod
    JMRod Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love the c25k app! I'm on my last week (second go around) and I can finish 3 miles in 38-40 minutes now. When I started back in February, I never thought I'd get under 45 minutes.

I do find I run better outside. The treadmill bores me too much.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Way to go and not give in, that is awesome!
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! you're doing a great job!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I'm glad I've finally found the running bug as I like to do obstacle racing and not being able to run makes it much harder.
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to run for the last 18 months - well since I started on here.

Started off right with shoes fitted at the local running store etc and using the C25K but ended up with shins splints and then my health took a nose dive so had to stop to this May.

Finally started again with new shoes and tried Zombie 5k which i love but however hard I tried I cannot get pas the 1.25 miles or 15 mins straight - even on the treadmill.

Tonight I set off as usual but instead off stopping at my normal place I kept running and running - got to 20 mins and just under 2 miles so I kept going. Reached the top of my road and had reached 1.97 so carried on past till I hit 2 miles and then headed back.

Tonight I ran for 27 mins and 2.16 miles in one go. I think the trick for me is to only look a few yards ahead as the hills ( I live in Yorkshire) always put me off.

Congrats! I started C25K back in March and could barely run 5 minutes without wanting to die, now I usually run a minimum of 3 miles in about 35 min, 30 in a good day. I've really enjoyed running the last seven months but there have definitely been roadblocks to surpass. Once I started running longer than 30 minutes I found that just listening to music wasn't working for me so I started listening to podcasts to keep me engaged during the longer runs.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Running NSVs are the best. ;) Good job.

And just as someone who built up from being a couch potato to a distance runner, if you can't get past running for a certain distance or time without stopping to walk, that's okay! Just walk for a couple minutes and then start again. So if you can't run for more than 15 minutes straight, run for 16 minutes and then walk. Go a few times a week and run/walk for 30 minutes, and as long as you push yourself a little bit at a time, your endurance will build up and you'll be able to do it. It just takes a while to get to the next level. Not dreading the hills ahead probably helps, too! :D
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    AWESOMENESS!!! I've flirted with running for about a year 1/2 before something "clicked" and it stuck with me. I've been running now just over 3 months, and right now I run 5 minutes/walk 1 minute, but I love it!

And I ENVY you being able to run in Yorks!!! I'm stuck here in Hell's waiting room, Florida, and, sigh, to be there...luvly!

Awesome job! The treadmill does me in as well I can't get more than a 15 min mile (mind you i'm stopping and walking between.) Yet outside I'm close to 12 min miles because I just look a little bit ahead (Still with walking, I'm not a real runner never will be.)

PISH!!!! You ARE a real runner!!!!! If you lace up & put 1 foot in front of the other in a running pace, then you are a runner. No, I don't do track & field, may never run a marathon, but I've run so far 2 5K's doing the "run X mins, walk 1 min" pace, and my PR pace time has been 13.07, (avg in the low 14's) but I call myself a runner. So should you. Be proud of it!!
  • donnaladd98
    Options
    I run only a 1/4 mile then walke 1/4 mile..........repeating till I hit about 8miles. This is the only way I can run
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You will find it easier and easier and then you will get conquer that 5k as a huge accomplishment. I teared up after my first 5k to see what my body was capable of doing coming from obesity to being able to run and run. Great job!
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I just started c25k on week 1 day 2. I have never been a runner. So I hope I can make it to the 2 mile mark.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!