HR?

Options
I feel dumb for asking this question but what HR should I be targeting for? I just did 3 miles on a treadmill that measured HR. Anytime it went over 120 it started to flash at me, which I took as being to high BUT if I backed off to below 120 I didn't feel like I was pushing myself. HELP?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My HR is generally in the 150's my whole run, sometimes it goes into the 160's. I can hit 120 at a fast walk.
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Depends on what zone you want to work out in. The fat burn zone or the aerobic zone. Also depends on your weight and age. You can do a search for the formula.
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My HR is generally in the 150's my whole run, sometimes it goes into the 160's. I can hit 120 at a fast walk.

When is the HR to high? or "overdoing it"?
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-intensity/.../NSECTIONGROUP=2‎
  • caroluherek
    caroluherek Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think I heard somewhere that you take 220 - your age = maximum heart rate to achieve when exercising. Has anyone else heard this?
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals,. Calculate your max heart rate (220-age) and use a percentage of max heart rate 65-75% is low intensity, 75-85% is moderate intensity, above that would be high intensity. You can also use perceived exertion... which you already eluded to. Find a comfortable pace that is sustainable, you shouldn't be able to carry on a conversation...but you also shouldn't be gasping for a breath.

Hope this helps.
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Found the answer on his site http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/the-truth-about-heart-rate-and-exercise?page=2
    "A more accurate formula is the one published in 2001 by Tanaka in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Multiply your age by 0.7 and subtract that figure from 208. For example, a 40-year-old has a maximum heart rate of 180 (208 - 0.7 x 40)."

No wonder I didn't feel like I was working out....I WASN'T
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be 220 - your age but I'm 56 and I can keep mine well into the 170's and nothing bad has happened yet. It's only a rough estimate, if you're more fit you can push it higher with no harm. I've found that my body will let me know when it's getting too high. Most people tend to pass out if it's too high because your body will say Ok we need to shut this down now!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My HRM manual has a table of HR zones. You need to work out your maximum HR first (there are a couple of formulae; the simplest being 220 bpm - your age = max HR). For me, that's 220 - 44 = 176

Once you've worked out your max heart rate, then you look at a heart rate zone table to find the zone you want to work at.

If your goal is improved aerobic capacity; or optimal cardiovascular training (according to this table), then you would work at 70-80% of your max heart rate. At this rate, the exertion is perceived to be moderate, and it is more difficult to hold a conversation. So, if I was running, I would try to keep my heart rate between 124 and 140. (In practice, I push harder than this, and my avg HR for a run is typically above 140).

Maybe the beep was indicating that you were getting to your training zone at 120?
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Agree with Mokey... I've tried the lower calculations and don't feel like I get as intense a workout. That said, it could be because I've trained for many years. And even though I am older (54), my body may just be used to it.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and regularly wear my HRM while working out. When it's really intense, my HR is around 184. Sometimes higher. During an hour class, there are days that my average HR is in the 160's. According to those chatrs, my max HR should be 176..I've been checked out by several Dr's and exercise physiologists and that's just normal for me. The one thing that I clearly remember everyone checking was how fast my HR came down. Usually it's at least 30 beats in 2 minutes. Ask your Dr. if you're worried about it. Use the guides as just that...a guide. The perceived rate of exertion, I feel, is a good tool, but I'm not a Dr :tongue:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This looks like a good site for helping you calculate your target HR zones.

http://www.calculatenow.biz/sport/heart.php
  • Dre8604
    Dre8604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump