I think I'm skinnier than I actually am...

Options

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You don't know how many times over the years I'd see a large woman and ask my husband "do I look as big as her". Part of it was I didn't want to be that big, but part of it was I would just look at everyone and could never figure out if I looked that big. I knew I was big (never as big as I am now), but I couldn't tell how big I really looked.
    You are not alone.

Oh Thanks for saying that! I thought it was just me! I thought I was mad! I'll tell my husband, he'll be relieved to know I'm just normal like you xxx
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    It's weird because when I read this, my first thought was "yeah!" I definitely feel smaller than I am and when I see pictures where I really look big, it's almost hard to believe.

But on the other hand, when I'm talking to friends, co-workers, etc. about it and I tell them how much weight I want to lose, they always tell me I don't look heavy enough to lose that much weight. I'd say they were just being nice but I have some pretty direct friends, lol!

So I guess it's a mix? Body image is weird like that sometimes.

I get that reaction from co-workers if I mention I want to lose another 20-25 pounds. They all say no, I don't need it, I guess because my face, arms and legs look okay (my clothes hide my fat stomach and fat rear). I've stopped saying anything. The only person who agreed with me is a friend who is a retired professional ballet dancer. He understood because he's had a lifetime of body awareness.

The problem is so many people are overweight, our whole perspective is warped. We look like most of the other heavy people walking around, plus wear clothes that hide the worst of it.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i'm all over this one! at my heaviest weight, i didn't think i was that big! nevermind that i couldn't fit into size larges anymore for most anything that wasn't stretchy! esp when all my friends are small/extra-smalls. they definitely make you look bigger in comparison.

so a friend took pictures while we were out at a bar. then she posted them on facebook. i saw them and i almost died! i could have SWORN i looked cute that night! so where did all that extra chin come from?! why was my face so round and bloated looking?? it was awful and embarrassing. you guys are right, pictures don't lie!

but i'm still tagged in that picture, even though it hurts my eyes when i scroll past it. even though i try to click by as quick as possible, i'm hoping that if i keep that picture up, it'll remind me why i'm on this journey. and with every pound i lose, hopefully i'll one day be brave enough to look back at that picture and be proud of where i'm at.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think I look better in the mirror than I do in pictures, so there has got to be some level of delusion operating there. That seems to be a common experience.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Great thread.

YES!! I did have this problem when I was at my fattest, and only got shocked into reality when I would see a photo of myself or catch my reflection in a shop window. I hated looking in the mirror, or if I did, would only look at my face, or a particular part of me, not the whole self. I avoided shopping and wore the same loose and daggy clothes to hide my fat... Except that I wasn't really hiding it at all.

I think I imagined myself to be at about the weight I am now, because when I look at myself these days, I see exactly the person I expect to see looking back. I feel great and I look good too.

These days I take a phot of myself every weekend when I do my measurements so I can actually SEE what I really look like, and how I've changed. It helps put things in perspective.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great thread.

YES!! I did have this problem when I was at my fattest, and only got shocked into reality when I would see a photo of myself or catch my reflection in a shop window. I hated looking in the mirror, or if I did, would only look at my face, or a particular part of me, not the whole self. I avoided shopping and wore the same loose and daggy clothes to hide my fat... Except that I wasn't really hiding it at all.

I think I imagined myself to be at about the weight I am now, because when I look at myself these days, I see exactly the person I expect to see looking back. I feel great and I look good too.

These days I take a phot of myself every weekend when I do my measurements so I can actually SEE what I really look like, and how I've changed. It helps put things in perspective.

Me too - I avoided mirrors, I'd go in changing rooms to buy clothes and keep my back to the mirror. I knew if I dared to look it would horrify me, I just couldn't face up to what I knew I'd see! It's all denial and self deceit - I couldn't accept that I'd got to the size I did, so I fooled myself by avoiding facing up to it.

And because I never really saw myself, I carried a mental image of myself looking svelt and half my actual size! Because without that, I'd have curled up and died.

I remember too, a friend of mine who's much shorter than me, but I thought very big for her height, very big thighs, big bum, well padded shoulders. And I thought comparable to me. And I made a comment one day about us both being similar and her reaction was horrified - basically "You're fat, I'm not, I'm not as big as you!" which stung me - I don't know whether I was just skinnifying myself, or if she's in denial herself or what, but it left me feeling different, a freak.

There was a TV programme here in the UK - What Not To Wear, and the first thing the two presenters used to do was stick the participant in a cubicle, surrounded by mirrors, in their underwear so that they could understand their body shape and their best features. Some people were pleasantly surprised to realise they had a better figure than they thought. A few weren't. I used to cry (and reach for some chocolate) knowing that there was NO WAY on earth I could a) go in there and b) look at myself. Now, I could!

I don't have a full length mirror in the house, never have. Maybe I'd have stopped piling on the pounds if I did! I will get one now though.

But you do pull yourself up straight, pull in the tummy, pull your shoulders back when you look at yourself in the mirror, trying to look good - and then like so many people are saying here, someone takes a snap shot when you're off guard, and that's what you really look like! I used to pore over some of those pics agonising, thinking I don't really look like that surely? But then I'd think well, all the other people in the picture look like that so why would I be different.

But also the photos were the first thing that made me realise I am changing - someone took some photos of me in April, and I could see my face looked totally different! So it works both ways!

But I totally identify with the comparisons with other people - I used to be always asking my husband how I compared to other women - I'm not as big as her am I? My legs aren't as big as hers are they? I'm just so relieved to hear that other people do that too!
  • keworden
    keworden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I watch biggest loser and some of the ppl are my weight and I'm thinking: "I look nothing like that". I don't know if I just carry it better or am in denial......
  • dizzow
    dizzow Posts: 65
    Options
    You don't know how many times over the years I'd see a large woman and ask my husband "do I look as big as her". Part of it was I didn't want to be that big, but part of it was I would just look at everyone and could never figure out if I looked that big. I knew I was big (never as big as I am now), but I couldn't tell how big I really looked.
    You are not alone.

Oh Thanks for saying that! I thought it was just me! I thought I was mad! I'll tell my husband, he'll be relieved to know I'm just normal like you xxx
    I went through a time period of doing this because I wanted to know REALLY how I compared to other bodies. I drove my family nuts with it. I still don't know and I don't feel as big as I am. I claim that is my thinner / healthier person inside of me who I want everyone to see. But yes, pictures are the truth tellers, but it's still hard for me to wrap my head around. I don't like to look in full length mirrors either.
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'm really tall, so when I tell people I need to lose about 100 pounds...they gasp in horror. Au contraire, my friends, I do. I have an hourglass figure and a prominent bone structure, so I carry my weight fairly well. I've always wondered if I too were delusional, until my high school basketball coach told me I needed to lose 20 pounds...when I actually needed to lose 40-50.

Two weeks ago I decided that having a "decently-shaped body" 100 pounds overweight was no longer gonna cut it. I'm working for my rocking, kick *kitten* body for summer 2015. ;)
  • rlotze
    rlotze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. That's me completely and consistently. I can be 44 years old and 300 lbs and think I'm 20 and 175. Then, of course, when I look in the mirror my brain goes "wth's up with that broken mirror???"
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yup. I used to think I wasn't that bad. My mum and grandma would tell me how big I was but while I knew I had a problem 'I hid it well'

When I look at photos of myself at my biggest I cry. I can't believe I was that big. I don't remember BEING that big.

Denial can be very strong.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing at my fattest because I had, at one point, been skinny. So I always thought of myself as a small person, a skinny girl. Since the weight gain piled on over a long period of time, I deluded myself into believe it was 5, maybe 10 lbs of winter chub or water weight or whatever even when I was obviously overweight.

The biggest thing for me was seeing photos. You think you're getting along just fine but then you see yourself from angles and perspectives that you never get in the mirror, and realize you are a lot fatter than you thought. It all comes down to whether you like your weight or not, I personally was unhappy when I realized I was fat but there are plenty of women who rock it.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have never had ay idea what I truly look like, because I have never truly looked at myself! I have never though I looked as big as I did when I have seen pictures and right now, people are telling me I look 'so small', but am still in larges and sized 16 pants. I have no idea how I really look.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It must be denial for you not to see yourself as you actually are? Burying your head and wishing it weren't so isn't the answer.
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I totally get this! I wonder if it is partly a result of me being short - I am 5'2" so I never feel that big. At my biggest I was 215 so basically a sphere. I didn't feel attractive or thin at all I just felt completely disassociated from my body. Like it wasn't me?
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    There is research that confirms this too! One of the things that affects how you see yourself is what your closest group of friends looks like... if they are overweight you are much more likely to see your (overweight) body as smaller than it actually is. I didn't think I looked too bad at my highest weight but now I look back at the photos and my arms! books and face just look so big. I gotta say I think it's a better response than looking at yourself and hating what you see!
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I relate!!! I got up to nearly 170 lbs but never thought I was that big, until I saw myself in pictures! Then I thought, damn, I am fatter than I thought. It probably doesn't help that most of my friends are a lot bigger than me so next to them I was skinny.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Yep, I still have to fight it sometimes (thinking I magically "carry it well"). I've got a digital file folder where I keep copies of all those horrible candid photos so I can visit them from time to time to get a dose of the truth. It's too easy to get complacent otherwise.

Does anyone remember that movie Shallow Hal where Jack Black doesn't see Gwyneth Paltrow as fat at all...then he holds up a pair of her underwear and it's HUGE and he's like "Whaa...?". That's me sometimes when I see my clothes. lol
  • LeeMC2013
    LeeMC2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same here....always looked in mirror and never realized how huge I was. Mirrors are sneaky little deceptive liars. LOL. But when I seen pictures of myself it was a slap in the face telling me I'm blind. So I decided to stay away from pics because they don't lie lol. Glad I'm on the right road now and won't be scared of myself being in pictures
  • ritornare
    ritornare Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I really think that I'm skinner than I actually am but I do know that I like the woman in the mirror more than the one in pictures :glasses:
    Actually one of the reasons I have started dieting and exercising again is to be able to look at pictures of myself (: