Replies

• zensugi
    Options
    No.
    Yes.
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    it is not bad for you. I personally stay away 99% of the time cos I'm intolerant.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I hope this isn't a real question.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad for you. If you like it, drink it.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a dietary issue, or you choose to be vegan, there is no reason to not eat dairy! You'll find many MFPers swear by greek yogurt, for instance. Dairy is a good source of protein and calcium.

Is this a troll? O.o
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    You could try almond milk, which is only 30 calories a cup (versus about 100 for milk and soy milk). Silk is a good brand because it doesn't have carrageenan, which causes digestive problems for some people.

The principle for weight loss is you can eat anything you want as long as you stay within your calories. You could eat a diet of donuts or Pop Tarts and would lose weight if you stayed within your calorie range.

Nutrition is a different story. I'm not a fan of dairy and cut it from my diet for many reasons. One is illness. My late husband suffered from cancer for 15 years. Researchers believe dairy and red meat contribute to some cancer (prostate is one) and other health problems over a lifetime of consuming it. People who live in countries where they never eat dairy and red meat rarely get those illnesses.

if you are concerned about getting enough protein and calcium, there are many other sources.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    No... it isn't all bad. I quite often have fat-free yogurt, 2% milk or fat-free cottage cheese as a night time snack. Just make sure you have room for what you drink/eat macro-wise. Be careful with cottage cheese though, because it's high in sodium. I only eat it if my sodium intake is low for the day.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Preference unless otherwise diagnosed...
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As far as I know it's only bad for you if you are lactose intolerant.

I've never had an issue with dairy even though I have PCOS (a lot of the "PCOS diets" out there say to AVOID!) - have eaten dairy the whole way through my weight loss and had no problems.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have 500ml of skimmed milk and 25 grams of cheddar cheese every day and I have no problems. It cover my calcium needs for the day and helps with protein, plus I love it! Why would it be bad for you?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    is it all bad for you?
    should I drink milk sometimes??

if you're under 6-9 months old:

no
    yes, all the time. preferably breast milk but if not any formula approved by paediatricians for age from birth to six months is a good alternative

if you're aged between 6-9 months and 1 year:

no
    yes, you must, either breast milk or an approved formula (as above), but eat other things as well

if you're aged between 1 year and 5-6 years:

no
    yes you should, animal milks are fine, as is breast milk (yes this really is the natural weaning age for humans, modern people just wean earlier because they have animal milks available)

if you're over 5-6 years and from a population where dairy farming has been practiced for many generations and you don't have a problem with digesting lactose or any milk allergy:

no
    yes, if you want to

if you're over 5-6 years and from a population where dairy farming hasn't been practiced and/or you have difficulty digesting lactose, or if you're allergic to milk:

yes
    no
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    if you don't have any dietary or digestion issues with it, there is no reason why you shouldn't have dairy. Myself, I do better with it in moderation, but I still have my morning latte every day (dislike soy) and absolutely love cheese. And for people trying to avoid saturated fat, dairy is an easy thing to cut down on. But other than that, I'd say enjoy!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is it all bad for you?
    should I drink milk sometimes??

no
    yes