Overeaters Anonymous

Do you have any experience with overeaters anonymous?

Was it helpful for you?

Would you recommend it to someone?

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Bump for info
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    That's what I would like to know too?

Any locations in the Toronto area?
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Hello from Chicago. I just started going to OA two weeks ago and have attended 4 meetings at three different places. I believe it is helping me. Abstinence (from overeating) is the foundation. It seems a bit strange because of the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions patterned from Alcoholics Anonymous. However, though I don't understand fully what I'm doing, I've already made positive changes in my thinking about the food I eat. OA is about the physical, emotional, and spiritual components of eating. I now find myself asking - "Will I be happy if I eat another mouthful, or if I buy that salty crunchy snack at the end of the grocery aisle." Now (most of the time), if the answer is " No. I will not be happy," I've been able to stop myself and so end up feeling good. I plan to go to at least two more meetings at different locations. My weight loss has stalled for 7 months. But since attending OA, Ive started losing weight again: Go figure. :flowerforyou:
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    It really helps if you believe that you are a compulsive eater, or addicted to food, or lack control over food. It helps deal with the underlying issues and gives you a lot of support.

If you're just trying to lose 10-25 pounds, it's probably not for you.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    There are some people who have had success with it. My own experience with it was overwhelmingly negative, mostly due to my personal mindset. I could not attend a physical meeting, so I participated in one of the online ones they listed on their website. The atmosphere of the whole thing was just too cheesy and left out a lot of accountability (if I remember correctly, one of the main pillars of OA is that you admit you have no control over your eating habits). There were also strong undertones of religion (submitting to a higher power so that you get better and whatnot), which did not sit right with me. I would not recommend it, but if it seems like your kind of thing then go for it. I'd rather dip into my earnings and spring for a therapist or something.
  • I am a member of OA (I'm giving this site a try as part of my food plan), and I have never felt better, more centered or emotionally/mentally healthier. Yes, OA is a 12 step program. And it's funny for some people to think of food as an addiction. But I have heard and read many people in all of my many diets over the course of my adult life talk about emotional eating or eating to cope, and for me, OA has been my solution to that need to use food to deal with life. Not only am I down 4 sizes and still losing (and I never had more than 45ish pounds to lose at my heaviest, though often the perception of OA is that everyone is morbidly obese), but I also don't obsess about food, dieting or my body anymore. This is just my experience, so take it for what it's worth-- but I am two years free of binge eating and bulimia. Nothing else ever worked for me, and I tried every diet out there. If you're getting a nudge to try it, maybe give it a shot?