Too much Protein

Options
Hi There, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the consequences of too much protein are in my daily log? I always seem to go over the allowed amount but never seem to go over in the other areas? I would really appreciate any feedback.:smile: Thankyou.

Replies

• Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Most people would suggest like double what mfp recommends for protein. Unless you're a meat hound and eat nothing but meat, chances are that you're not getting enough of it.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein goals way too low, imo. I wouldn't worry about going over.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can be very hard on the kidneys.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Nothing unless you have kidney problems or you're eating an insane amount like 300+ a day.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    A general guild is 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass you have.

SO... if you weight 200 pounds and have 30% body fat (30% of 200 is 60), you have 140 LBM. So you should eat around 140 grams of protein a day.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. MFP recommends under 50 grams of protein for me and I upped it to 80 and cut back on the carbs.
  • jenzabell
    jenzabell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you- I thought it was a bit low.:smile:
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A general guild is 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass you have.

SO... if you weight 200 pounds and have 30% body fat (30% of 200 is 60), you have 140 LBM. So you should eat around 140 grams of protein a day.

The above seems rather high unless you're a serious body builder...

The Institute of Medicine recommends .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, but here's a simpler way to break down your protein needs:

Sedentary Weight in pounds X .4 grams protein
    Active Weight in pounds. X .6 grams protein
    Competitive athlete Weight in pounds X .75 grams protein
    Light body-builder Weight in pounds X .85 grams protein

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410520,00.html
  • vavavavoom62
    Options
    I thought the same thing. But because I work out hard and often I know my body needs protein. I don't eat obscene amounts but I am over daily. I wouldn't worry. As long as you are eating lean cuts and incorporating all types of meats in moderation I think protein is how muscle is built. Add me for motivation!!
  • I Lift serious weight traing especially for my age and i ingest 300 grams a day including egg whites and Protein shakes and had my Kidneys checked at Dr. last vist I am a little high so I just uped my water intake to 1.5 gaals a day and that should take care of flushing all that excess protein out but I do lift 6 days a week and high intensity Dr knows this and was not concerned + I am on Opiates for pain so really in good shape for the shape I'm in
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I Lift serious weight traing especially for my age and i ingest 300 grams a day including egg whites and Protein shakes and had my Kidneys checked at Dr. last vist I am a little high so I just uped my water intake to 1.5 gaals a day and that should take care of flushing all that excess protein out but I do lift 6 days a week and high intensity Dr knows this and was not concerned + I am on Opiates for pain so really in good shape for the shape I'm in

And you have gout... High purine levels ...
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    As everyone already stated, MFP has protein set low. I usually eat right around 90-110 g protein a day, if I eat too much for me personally, I just end up in the bathroom lol... When I first tried upping my protein, it was too drastically, and ended up with some REALLY bad stomach pains(curled up in a ball literally crying, and I have a fair amount of pain tolerance), and bathroom issues for a few days, took a break from it, and have slowly built it up since then. Have been fine, but still notice days here and there when I ended up eating too much protein, just not with pain anymore luckily! Just don't overdo it too quickly if you are trying to up your protein! Up it gradually.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The ratio of carbs to protein to fat MFP gives you with default settings is only appropriate for sedentary people, or people whose only form of exercise is going for walks. If you do anything I would consider moderately high intensity, or high intensity, you're going to want to consume more. But no, unless you're eating a ridiculous amount of protein (like 300g or so) there's no harmful effect.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I Lift serious weight traing especially for my age and i ingest 300 grams a day including egg whites and Protein shakes and had my Kidneys checked at Dr. last vist I am a little high so I just uped my water intake to 1.5 gaals a day and that should take care of flushing all that excess protein out but I do lift 6 days a week and high intensity Dr knows this and was not concerned + I am on Opiates for pain so really in good shape for the shape I'm in

Wouldn't it be easier to just... not eat that excess protein in the first place?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi There, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the consequences of too much protein are in my daily log? I always seem to go over the allowed amount but never seem to go over in the other areas? I would really appreciate any feedback.:smile: Thankyou.

How much do you think is too much 100g?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

That's way too much protein, snd your kidneys are telling you so. Drinking gallons of water will do nothing except affect your electrolyte balance. It won't help your kidneys flush the excess protein any more than they are already able.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

The above seems rather high unless you're a serious body builder...

The Institute of Medicine recommends .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, but here's a simpler way to break down your protein needs:

Sedentary Weight in pounds X .4 grams protein
    Active Weight in pounds. X .6 grams protein
    Competitive athlete Weight in pounds X .75 grams protein
    Light body-builder Weight in pounds X .85 grams protein

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410520,00.html

that's a Minimum, not a Maximum
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I Lift and train in the gym and carb cycle, so on my low carb days I eat around 170g of protein - and on my high carb days I eat 140g of protein. I use this calculator to work out my macros. Its good as you can adjust it according to your goals:

http://macronutrientcalculator.com
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options

THis, and if you have developed a metallic taste in your mouth..your ph levels are too high...which I doubt is the case.