Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

planet fitness users

any one else go to planet fitness? what is your program there? add me if you want

Replies

• BunniTrulove
    BunniTrulove Posts: 18 Member
    I go to Planet Fitness, but I'm pretty much completely lost there. I signed up for one of their 'personal training' sessions where they help you 'create a routine'. But the "trainer" said since I am 5'2 and 195lbs I shouldn't concentrate on any resistance training because I should try to lose fat first. He instructed me to just do the treadmill for an hour 6 days a week and then in a month or two think about adding resistance training. That seemed a little strange to me since a cursory google search said that resistance training is good for fat loss. In any case, I've been hanging out on the cardio side for the last two weeks, but I think I'm going to try and come up with some kind of weight lifting routine on my own. I didn't find the "trainer" all that helpful. But I guess for the price, it can't be beat!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    im not a professional, but hat sounds like terrible advice
  • BunniTrulove
    im not a professional, but hat sounds like terrible advice

That was my thought too, but he looked so official in that purple shirt! :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I go to Planet Fitness, but I'm pretty much completely lost there. I signed up for one of their 'personal training' sessions where they help you 'create a routine'. But the "trainer" said since I am 5'2 and 195lbs I shouldn't concentrate on any resistance training because I should try to lose fat first. He instructed me to just do the treadmill for an hour 6 days a week and then in a month or two think about adding resistance training. That seemed a little strange to me since a cursory google search said that resistance training is good for fat loss. In any case, I've been hanging out on the cardio side for the last two weeks, but I think I'm going to try and come up with some kind of weight lifting routine on my own. I didn't find the "trainer" all that helpful. But I guess for the price, it can't be beat!

That's terrible advice.

But it's planet fatness- they aren't interested in building atheletes or helping people change their lives- they are interested in keeping their 10$ a month clients.

And it's a BRILLIANT marketing scheme. Seriously it is.

But you are not going to get any sort of quality advice from that type of facility. I would only be a member of Planet Fitness to help suppliment my regular workouts- meaning- when I am up all night doing a project and I really need a break- pop over for a quick lift/run and come home.

I'd never in any universe consider it my 'base' gym.

Anyway- they have free weights up to about 70 lbs which get's the job done especially as a beginner.

Do some googling on squats, over head press, dead lift and bench pressing.

All of these can be done to some extent with DB's- you'll be limited because at some point it's just really fricking hard to move 140 lbs individually- Like- I can bench something 170... I am quiet positive that I couldn't put up 140 in the form of 2 seventy lb dumbbells.

So- yes it will work- but you are going to have to fight for it to an extent.

But check out compound lifting- it'll help you get a routine together that you can do there. machines are okay- but free weights are more better most of the time for most people in most applications. it's just more bang for your buck.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    But the "trainer" said since I am 5'2 and 195lbs I shouldn't concentrate on any resistance training because I should try to lose fat first. He instructed me to just do the treadmill for an hour 6 days a week and then in a month or two think about adding resistance training. That seemed a little strange to me since a cursory google search said that resistance training is good for fat loss

Go for it, I belong to a PF because I don't go in for "Group" Session like my wife does, she belongs to a more full service club and loves group cycling etc. While in my opinion he is not really wrong I think he could have advised you better. If you want to lose weight as a primary goal then cardio is the way to go and it should be low level cardio, like the treadmill but resistance can help you tone as you lose weight you just wont build muscle while at a deficit. It will help you keep your current lean mass though.. I would do resistance one to two times a week and treadmill or elliptical the other days. Work in the lower heart rate zones. "Digifit" at www.digifit.com explains zones as does Polar and the Digifit and Polar Beat Apss are almost identical but Digifit syncs to MFP I think.
    Caution when you start resistance your sore muscles will hold water to don't freak out and ensure you drink lots to flush toxins. The way PF is set up you can do a full round of all machines to get all your muscles or just do uppers and than next day lowers.
  • BunniTrulove
    Thanks for the advice JoRocka and SJCon!

Sorry I hijacked your thread Cmorden!
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Sounds like he just didn't want to do his job. I have never really heard the greatest things about PF... So I guess that adds to it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    for awhile, PF was my only excersize. I did a double split, in at lunch for 12 sets, after work for 12 sets and 30 min of cardio 3 times a week.

In the begining, my only complaint was that there was no squat rack (a big deal for a gym lol, although i've heard some do have them) and the DBs only go up to 75 lbs. then they took out the only incline barbel bench and the other flat bench. now there is one and only one barbel flat bench, and one and only one olymipc bar. yay!

Suprisingly i get that one bench pretty often, but i'm flexible as to what order i put it in my work out.

i get my real workout in at home now with beach body dvds. i was born and raised a fatty lol. i don't care what anyone says, MY body needs some muslce friendly cardio to stay in good shape, heavy lifting alone isn't going to cut it for me. Every now and then i cut it out and just do weights tho.

The 'trainners' are usually kids in or just out of highschool, that may or may not THINK they know what they are doing, but they dont' have the slightest credentials. this can be different depending one which one you go to tho. the first one i went to they had a real trainner. She had several post grad degrees in nutrition and exercise physiology outside of the permenant office she had. Then they redesigned the place, got rid of half the free weights and replaced them with cardio machines, got rid of her office and replaced her with a fat highschool kid.

oh, and they don't really want you to attend the gym, serriously. thats the only way that the 10 a month model works, like 50% or more of your clientel pays but never goes.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member

Anyway- they have free weights up to about 70 lbs which get's the job done especially as a beginner.

All of these can be done to some extent with DB's- you'll be limited because at some point it's just really fricking hard to move 140 lbs individually- Like- I can bench something 170... I am quiet positive that I couldn't put up 140 in the form of 2 seventy lb dumbbells.

But check out compound lifting- it'll help you get a routine together that you can do there. machines are okay- but free weights are more better most of the time for most people in most applications. it's just more bang for your buck.

PF has banned deadlifts.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    PF has banned deadlifts.
    [/quote]

THEY BANNED DEADLIFTS?!
    I would be so lost.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member

PF has banned deadlifts.

i guess this is techincally true at mine as well, there is a sign over the only bench, with the only full size barbell saying that you can't remove the bar from the bench!

you can do them on the smith machine, sorta. thats how i sort of do squats lol
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    So the trainer had no idea what he was talking about.... sounds about like planet fitness
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    I joined planet fitness in September. I didn't realize they didn't have a squat rack until after the fact. They have Smith Machines at my gym. I met with a personal trainer once and had her show me how to use the Smith Machine to do the Strong Lifts 5X5 program. I injured my back/side after one week of using that machine so I stopped.

I searched on youtube for another program that I could do using the free weights. They have free weight bars that go up to 60lbs so that's what I use now. I'm currently on the 40lb bar. I figure by the time I'm ready to move pass 60lbs my membership will be up and I can switch gyms at that time.

You can click on profile to find the workout routine that I do.

Good luck
  • TGSgirl2017
    TGSgirl2017 Posts: 32 Member
    its ok :) thanks for your input, and yeah id add some resistance training
  • TGSgirl2017
    TGSgirl2017 Posts: 32 Member
    thanks for all your posts
  • katrn05
    katrn05 Posts: 20 Member
    I just joined Planet Fitness for the winter. I work midnights and the mornings I have off I am usually up early around 5am so I figured I could get a workout in before taking a nap before work. I've only went one day so far but I just joined this week. The cardio equipment is pretty good. It's the same equipment that Lifetime Fitness has. The weight equipment is pretty medicore gym equipment. I don't use it. I do go to another gym that happens to be a CrossFit gym but they offer martial arts training and kickboxing too. I did CrossFit for a few months but I developed bursitis or tendonitis in my elbow from all the heavy repetition so I stopped going to CrossFit classes. I do go to open WOD though and do the StrongLifts routine. I stick to bench press, push press, squats and deadlifts. Planet Fitness is mediocre at best. I don't buy into that Judgement free zone crap that they advertise. But I needed something to supplement my workouts during winter and logistically they were more convenient.
  • Tetesandra
    Tetesandra Posts: 783 Member
    I joined PF In June and the pt there I thought was great with what advise he gave me. He told me to do 30-40 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week. Then gave me a workout with weights for a 4 day rotating which was what I asked for verses 3. It works for me and I can get it done in a resonable amount of time as well as a lot I can do at home if I dont have a lot of time to spend at the gym.
  • I go to Planet Fitness and love it. I've been going there for quite a few years now. I don't intend on benching 300 lbs so the fact that the dumbbells "only" go up to 70 is fine with me.

Yes, they have the bagels and coffee on the second Tuesday of the month and pizza the first Monday but guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET IT! Nope! You really don't!! It's incredible and amazing how that works!!

Yes, there are people there who are overweight and don't work out hard and just don't care but there are also those who are in great shape (at mine there are). You'll find the same thing at any gym. You'll have the people who go there daily just to say they went and those who workout hard. I am one of the people who goes to PF and works my butt off. I lift heavy, I lift to failure and I'm in pretty da*n good shape.

As for the equipment and what they do and don't allow since they are independently owned it depends on the person who owns the gym. For example I went to one in Providence and they had a squat rack, Olympic bars for benching, and a ton of weight plates. My PF doesn't have any of that. I can also do dead lifts at my gym and have done them while the manager and the owner was walking by. No one said a word to me.

Now to address the OP's question:

I go to the gym every day. I do 30 min. of cardio -- running 4x a week; arc trainer 1x a week -- and lift every day. I focus on one muscle group per day and alternate abs and legs.

While I've never used any of the PT's there, the PF I go to does require the personal trainers to be certified. The gal who just quit studied kinesiology as well as anatomy and physiology as well as her PT "certificate". She quit because she was studying to be a nurse. Right now I don't think they have any PT's there, just this one guy who does the 'gym class'.

• Anyway- they have free weights up to about 70 lbs which get's the job done especially as a beginner.

PF has banned deadlifts.

WTF on the deadlifts? I guess they don't want anyone to get hurt (or "fit" LOL). No reason a gym with real personal trainers would not let anyone deadlift. Heck,, it's YOUR routine and it 's a legitimate exercise (even a good one.)
    These tales of Planet Fitness make me glad I joined my local Y. But even then it took me a while to find a trainer who I was in sync with . JMO I am not a fitness expert, just an exerciser, but it sounds like you aren't going to get quality instruction there from the guy you worked with-- check out every trainer there and see if there are any that seem more "clued in". Find out the most popular trainer there and figure out why they are most popular and worth your time. If you really want to stay with PF but they have all crappy trainers where you are, it would be worth your $$ to hire a very good independent PT to work with you a few weeks and develop a plan for you, then you can go to PF on your own. Otherwise , read the weight lifting advice here from people who have gotten real results, and also check out Nerd Fitness website.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yay nerd fitness