Fruit a problem?

Options
Been doing this for 3 days now. Doing really well. I was under the impression that eating fruit was very good, I did realise that fruit contained sugar, but it is absolutely killing my sugar allowance. I had two small cups of grapes this morning (about 10-15 grapes) and it has taken my whole sugar allowance.

Is this likely to be a real problem? I was under the impression that natural sugars weren't so bad?

Bit of advice, do I really have to ditch the fruit and find an alternative :-/

Replies

• ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's generally accepted that the sugar settings on MFP should be disregarded in most instances. Unless you're monitoring carbs for a medical reason, don't worry about it.
  • MarkCass75
    Options
    I have diabetes (diet controlled at the moment) which is one of the main reasons I am doing this. I want to do the right things, sometimes it's not all that clear what the right things are.

I know I shouldn't eat junk (I don't now) I should drink water, and exercise I do all of that, but there are a lot of grey areas in between with some of the foods.
  • saishyamk
    saishyamk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes (diet controlled at the moment) which is one of the main reasons I am doing this. I want to do the right things, sometimes it's not all that clear what the right things are.

I know I shouldn't eat junk (I don't now) I should drink water, and exercise I do all of that, but there are a lot of grey areas in between with some of the foods.

I hear you. I need answers for your questions as well.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    You can Google sugar in fruit and find a list of low to high. Some lists and more info might be in the MFP forums if you search. Here's one list:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

Grapes are high in sugar. In general, berries and melons are on the low end.
  • ScarlettDam
    ScarlettDam Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a healthy sweet treat - fruit is the way to go. if you are thinking at fruit VS any alternative to sooth your sweet tooth again fruit is best. In fact all options where a sweet taste is what you're after fruit is the BEST option.

If you're looking to keep your sugar down try doing this by eliminating all sugars - read the labels and look for sugar & corn syrup free foods. Once you give your taste buds a real 'sugar rest' you will start to taste fruit in a whole new way. Then you'll really be able to taste just how extremely sweet grapes, apples, pineapple and oranges actually are.

Personally I can't eat more that 5 grapes at once without my mouth getting a sugar high and breaking out with little sugar bumps all over the tip of my tongue. (I've been off refined sugar for almost 2 years now)

When I started fruit what my goto healthy option. Slowly (over a few weeks) I reduced the amount of fruit to be in alignment with my MFP sugar levels and not just the overall calorie intake numbers.

I found If you cut all fruit sugars out right away you rick going nuts in the evening when your strength is down - For me this meant raiding the junk food cupboard in search of sweets. For this reason even now I always keep fruit available.

I hope this helps.
    Scarlett
  • MarkCass75
    Options
    Doing really well with not eating junk food, really well. Fruit does taste sweet to me, especially grapes so I get you. I guess it's because fruit is promoted as a healthy option, when the reality is it's a "healthier" alternative to chocolate, crisps and all those foods you hit the cupboard for when you have a low right ?

There is so much information out there about what is healthy, what is not, it's difficult to know what to believe at times. Cucumber is a fav of mine anyway, and that does very little damage to my points count in any area :-)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    My mom is diabetic
    She controls hers with all diet
    She does not eat any fruit because of the carbs and sugars in fruit.
    There are tons of books you can read online that may help.

I have a friend at work that is diabetic as well.
    He takes pills though... so he does eat a piece a fruit a day.

Maybe this will help
    http://www.dlife.com/dlife_media/diabetes_slideshows/lowest-carb-fruits?gclid=CJyeneOO0LoCFdGe4AodF0cAdg&pageNumber=2
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In my opinion (though some disagree) fruit is a perfectly acceptable thing to snack on.

You can eat too much of anything, but I don't think a few grapes are going to cause an issue. I'm over on sugar every day due to my pre workout banana, some berries and a tsp of honey but I never pay any attention and I've still managed to largely keep the weight off.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The sugar setting on MFP puts all sugars in one spot so it become virtually useless. As a diabetic I realize tracking sugar is more important so you may need to watch the individual foods and sugar amounts to meet your goals. For most of us just ignoring the sugar and changing it to fiber or some useful information is the best bet.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I am pre-diabetic so I have to watch my sugar intake. For me it is all carbs because they all spike my blood sugar to high. But if you do want to eat fruit but keep the sugar low, I would suggest berries. They are the lowest in sugar and the highest in fiber which will help minimize the blood sugar spikes. Google low glycemic fruits and you will find a list that shows which fruits have the lowest sugar and highest fiber content. If you have a diet plan for your diabetes already then you know keeping sugar low is essential regardless of source. Just keep your fruits in the same plan. If you don't, I highly recommend talking to your doctor or nutritionist about it. If you want to do research on your own, check out the American Diabetes Association. They will at least have some places to start.
  • MarkCass75
    Options
    I don't have a diet plan. I had a leaflet given me by the doctor when she informed me I had type 2 diabetes, and that was about it. That leaflet was debatable at best. It told me to eat breads and pastas as normal (whatever normal is) for an example of poor information.

I've read a lot of information, and a lot of different opinions, I am ready willing and able to put a plan in to place. What I don't want to do is put a load of effort in to changing my lyfestyle drastically (I know I will have to one way or another) and find out in fact what I am doing isn't being that beneficial.

Maybe I should have started a thread about my diabetes actually, but I'm sure if I search there will be some on here already.

Thanks for the advice.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Go to bloodsugar101.com my friend.
    You'll find plenty of info to study while you contemplate your plan of action.
    6 months and 30 pounds less, this site helped me to figure out what was going on & what to do about it.

There's also a diabetic support group on here, click on 'groups' and you're sure to find them.
    Good luck, not everything works for everyone, it'll be up to you to learn what works for *your* specific dysfunction.
    All the best :drinker: