Calorie Advice Needed

Options
Hi! I have been on MFP now for about 5 months and have lost 44#. The program has been working great for me. However, later this month I will be having a fusion of two of my cervical vertebrae. I am wondering if I should up my calories (currently at 1390 plus eating exercise calories)? Will my body need more food/ intake to heal properly/ quickly? This is something I did ask the nurse and she said no (I forgot to ask the neurosurgeon). I am on the fence as to whether I should keep going as I have been, although exercise will be out according to the doctor for 6 weeks. Or should I change goals and eat more calories- aiming for a 1/2 pound a week loss versus the 1.5# I am currently doing? Or should I go into maintenance mode for the first 6 weeks post op to give my body a boost?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would go by how I felt post surgery. Try a few days of 1390, and if you feel strong/well, I'd say keep on. However, if you're feeling run down, tired, etc, I'd probably up it a bit. I don't know how fasting would fit in. On the one hand, some say the body heals faster and more efficiently if not dealing with excess calories (rapid cell repair), on the other, it seems like it would need some fuel. Is that a question you could ask a professional?

I personally would take the intuitive route, though.

Good luck with your surgery! Sounds scary:(
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'll be burning less for a bit because you'll be doing less so you can probably maintain your current calorie level if you want to. I think if you are eating a nutritious diet now that has you feeling well it shouldn't make a difference.