What is going on?! Gained back the pound I lost!

Options
I've only just started the MFP experience (well, two weeks ago). Last week, I lost 1.4 pounds (yay!) But this week I gained back 1.5 (WTF?)

I'm wondering, though, if I'm still not eating enough. I find myself going under my calorie goal day after day -- sometimes by a few hundred calories. Have I completely messed up my metabolism by eating a low-calorie diet (1300) for over a year and a half?

Ugh. I need to get over this fear of eating more. I just....don't know how. Help.....

Replies

• emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    it could be poo in your stomach, or water, or food in your belly, anything
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I need to get over this fear of eating more. I just....don't know how. Help.....

if you have a fear of food, you need to speak to a professional about it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. You are going to fluctuate day to day, as poster above said. You have to stick with it long enough to form a trend. Just to give you an idea; my weight loss graph usually goes up and down but stays about the same for a week, then I drop about 2 lbs in 1-2 days, I will go up a lb and stay there for about a week and then have another drop and end up lower than my last drop. Very few people drop all the time and never fluxuate back up. Also look up some of the threads on water retention due to muscle recovery if you have started a new workout routine.

2. Make sure you are logging accurately- actually measuer and weigh out your food. Get a HRM to accurately measure your calories burned. Most people struggle in the beginning because they do not log accurately or lie to themselves.

3. You have only just begun so do not get frusterated yet. From personal exerience it takes me about 2 weeks of dieting before my body catches on to the whole idea and starts really losing. You got this, just relax a little bit :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I've only just started the MFP experience (well, two weeks ago). Last week, I lost 1.4 pounds (yay!) But this week I gained back 1.5 (WTF?)

I'm wondering, though, if I'm still not eating enough. I find myself going under my calorie goal day after day -- sometimes by a few hundred calories. Have I completely messed up my metabolism by eating a low-calorie diet (1300) for over a year and a half?

You have your calories set to 2,000 and met that yesterday. I doubt it's not that your not eating enough.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear and many factors may have contributed to your gain as mentioned in previous reply.

Here are some links to help you understand how yo use MFP properly and also figure out your calorie intake...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This group could further help you but be sure to read the sticky's and obey the rules...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

If the poster has poo in their stomach, they are in dire straits indeed. :sick:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Agreed as this is a unhealthy mindset to have.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options

You have your calories set to 2,000 and met that yesterday. I doubt it's not that your not eating enough.

.....I don't have my calories set to 2,000. It's currently set at 1,700.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options

I don't mean, like, an actual phobia or fear. I mean that after eating only 1,300 calories for a year and a half, it's hard to get into the mindset of eating more than that and still be able to lose any weight at all. Know what I mean? It's not that I'm sitting there in actual fear of eating more. :) I may have been a little dramatic.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    Again: Sorry, I probably sounded a little melodramatic. I don't mean that I have an actual *fear* of it; it's more of a serious doubt that's set itself in my mind, after a prolonged period of eating only 1,300 calories a day (I did Weight Watchers for a year and a half.)
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    I checked your diary to see if I can help and I think you're eating enough food you just have to be consistent and patient. Sometimes weight fluctuates try measuring yourself too I use measurements because when the scale gets stuck I can still see if I'm making my fat burn. If you were eating low calorie before now you put it up to 2000 it will take a bit for your body to adjust
  • MichMunchkin
    Options

If the poster has poo in their stomach, they are in dire straits indeed. :sick:

Right? *L* I know what the original commenter meant; it's just that the mental image of fecal waste in my stomach both made me laugh and cringe. *L*
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^^

Also, it has only been 2 weeks and your body weight can fluctuate between 2-5lbs, especially for females. Give it time and do not stress over it (I know easier said then done). For me personally, I hold on to weight or gain a week or 2 before my TOM. After I am at a loss.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    I checked your diary to see if I can help and I think you're eating enough food you just have to be consistent and patient. Sometimes weight fluctuates try measuring yourself too I use measurements because when the scale gets stuck I can still see if I'm making my fat burn. If you were eating low calorie before now you put it up to 2000 it will take a bit for your body to adjust

Yeah, I know you (and others!) are right. I guess patience has never been my strong point ;) Thank you for the response!
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    For me personally, I hold on to weight or gain a week or 2 before my TOM. After I am at a loss.

Oh. My. GOD. I completely forgot about that; the painters are due to arrive tomorrow! *headdesk* How could I forget about that? That's probably contributing to it in a major way!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    While you say you do not have an actual fear of eating more and being a bit dramatic about it, you are also freaking out about less than 2 pounds. Maybe a professional isn't such a bad idea.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    While you say you do not have an actual fear of eating more and being a bit dramatic about it, you are also freaking out about less than 2 pounds. Maybe a professional isn't such a bad idea.

Thank you for the suggestion; however, I do not think I need professional help. If I feel I need it, then I will seek it.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Eh, could be anything, I wouldn't stress it. Doubt it's actual weight. Could be something you ate, I've been known to fill up on veggies and if I go weigh myself right after it'll show a gain. Doesn't mean I gained a pound, means there is something that weighs a pound being processed, as it were. Also, TOM. I don't even bother weighing then, I KNOW I'll see 3-4 lbs that came out of no where.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    Also, TOM. I don't even bother weighing then, I KNOW I'll see 3-4 lbs that came out of no where.

I feel like a complete dolt now. *L* After I posted, I happened to check my phone...and it informed me that TOM is, well, now. Due to actually "arrive" tomorrow. D'oh!

Don't mind me; apparently I'm simple. *L*
  • LillyPandme
    Options
    I'd lose the idea of weighing in for a while and just concentrate on your calorie goal. Go see your scale in about a month.