Low carb diet?

Options
How do you even stay away from carbs. I could imagine I should just become a vegetarian to start a low carb diet.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i dont stay away from carbs and still lose weight and maintain low body fat % ...

try set your carbs at 25 to 30% of your macros and remember carbs do not make you fat, overeating makes you fat...

if you eat in a deficit you can eat 25 to 30% of your calories, or more, from carbs...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How do you even stay away from carbs. I could imagine I should just become a vegetarian to start a low carb diet.

You do realize most veggies are mostly carbs, right>
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

You do realize most veggies are mostly carbs, right>

QFT, Veggies, grains, fruits and even dairy is high carb. If you wanted to avoid them then you'd be eating a ton of meat!

Instead you can limit how many carbs you consume by watching the greatest offenders in your diet. I found eating veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots and lettuce kept it relatively low every single day but I did consume a lot of meat at each meal to even out the cals and keep the protein and fats high enough.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to stay away from carbs?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I don't stay away. They are my life.
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No - not vegetarian, if you like meat. It's easier to do low carb if you're a carnivore. :) Personally, I don't think low carb is sustainable. Carb aware is better. Plus, you don't have a lot to lose. For me, my foods were mostly: grilled chicken, turkey breast, fish, some beef, nuts, nut butters, olive oil, greens and non-starchy veggies, non-fat or low fat dairy & cheese (limited), avocado, limited beans, Wasa crackers, quinoa, and an apple or berries. I try to stay away from sugar, bread, pasta. My treats are wine and dark chocolate. I measured everything and logged accurately - still do. In a nutshell, try to eat clean, unprocessed food as much as possible. You'll feel great and will be in top form for the military. Focus on health, not just weight loss.

My macros are 35% protein / 35% carbs / 30% fat. I've been testing the ratios all year, and I've discovered that if I keep my protein and carb levels at about the same amount, I feel best and lose the most.

Good luck!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables have a lot of carbs. So becoming vegetarian and low carb is possible but it is a lot easier to not be vegetarian. All meats, full fat cheeses, butter, olive oil, coconut oils, high fiber veggies i.e. spinach, berries, fish etc are all great choices if staying low carb.

Grains/grain based products, fruits other than berries, sugar, processed foods, high sugar veggies like carrots, and beans are what you avoid.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    To the "op" wwhat do you consider low carb? I am currently doing 100 or less carbs and 100 or more protein per day. It started at 120 carbs and 75 protein. I have found the more protein I eat the fuller I am which makes it easier to cut my carbs.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't stay away. They are my life.

:flowerforyou:
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I just started working with a nutritionist and she actually raised my carbs from what I had been doing. She works with a hospital and their weight loss program , as well as sports teams. I wanted a nutritionist who had experience fueling people who work out more than 3 x week. . I like the Paleo approach and am trying to eliminate white flour and processed foods from my diet. IMO the best approach is to make the carbs "healthy ones" such as veggies and fiber. I love Nerd Fitness website for their approach to all of it.

I have found that if I get too restrictive on what I eat, it sets up that 'deprivation" thinking and makes me want more of those forbidden items. I do better on a plan that is more guidelines and less absolutes.
  • XtremeShawty
    XtremeShawty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great information guys. Didn't realize veggies was a carbs galor but think I might just leave that alone. Saw people talking about a low carb diet thought it might of been a good idea I just didn't know how to approach it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ther's so much wrong with that opening question.

OP, why are you considering low-carb? Do you know where carbs are in your food? What do you consider low-carb (g per day)?
  • sachdevaraj
    Options
    I don't stay away from carbs. I try to take complex carbs like Brown Rice instead of white rice, quinoa, oats and crack wheats.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I find the fats and proteins fill me and somehow I don't seem to miss the heavy carb foods like bread and pasta or sugary things. Last week I was on holiday and ate a diet heavier and in carbs and seemed to crave more carbs and sugar constantly.