Reached my goal! Also NSV today

Options
Don't normally post much in forum but I really wanted to share my two awesome victories today!

After 10 months of healthy eating and exercise, today I reached the goal weight I set back in January - now I'm a healthy BMI for the first time ever as an adult. (I've been overweight since I was about 8 years old!). That means I have now lost 25kg (55lb), from 88.9kg (196) to 63.9kg (141). I'm 5ft 3 so I was getting pretty huge at near to 200lbs, now I feel I look more or less normal for my height. No photos sorry as I'm at work.

My NSV was that I got on to my packed commuter train this morning and asked a chap to move down to make more room. He looked at me and said for I should go past him as I was small and would fit between the rows of seats. Totally amazed that someone would look at me and think I was "small". :happy:

In case anyone is interested how I lost the weight, it has been fairly simple. Just tracking calories, learning to eat better and getting more exercise! No cutting anything out or special exercise programmes, just keeping on doing my own thing.

For my diet, I just stick to 3 meals per day with minimal snacks, perhaps one snack before the gym in the evening if I feel like it. I also average out the calories over the week, so some days will be at maintenance (or higher!) on the weekend or a night out with friends, while others will be much lower than the daily target. The main thing that has helped me keep on track, is logging each day in advance to make sure I'm within my kcal goal and the balance between protein/carb/fat is not too far out.

For exercise, I started off very gradually. From January end of April I just did Wii fitness games and started walking to work instead of taking the bus from the station. I felt too embarrasses with my lack of fitness to go to the gym :blushing: At the end of April I broke my hand badly and had about 8 weeks off exercise. When I recovered I started couch to 5k and now run 2-3 times per week. Since July I also started going to the gym 2 times per week to do strength training and have a swim. I found that increasing my exercise has made my mood so much better. Seriously, I practically skip home from the gym in a kind of post-workout haze!

I'm going to set a new target tomorrow of 60kg, to get well within the healthy weight range. However, I'm now only looking to lose weight very slowly, with more focus on getting fitter than on what the scale shows.

To all those taking it slow but steady, keep going and you'll see the results in the end. My weight loss was at an average of just over 0.5kg (1lb) per week and over the months that has really added up to a huge change :smile:

Replies

• fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • goldarae
    goldarae Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely wonderful! Congratulations on reaching your goal =)
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well done, good attitude to losing weight/getting fit.

Tina x
  • hinzee4
    hinzee4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! And I like your strategy!!
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • ummyasminah
    ummyasminah Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you're doing great!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Keep up the good work!
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Woo-Hoo! Good job.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    This rocks!!! Way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on your weight loss! Slow and steady weight loss is the best way to go! I am 5'3" as well and am nearing my original goal of 140 pounds (just over 4 pounds to go!), so I totally understand what you mean about feeling "normal" rather than being considered "overwweight" according to the BMI charts. I think, like you, I may reevaluate and set a new goal once I get to 140, but I want to see what I feel like once I get there. I want something that I can maintain and feel good about! Good luck to you and congrats!!! :drinker:
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    very inspirational!!! thank you for sharing!
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! Good luck everyone in making your goals too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!