How long did it take for anyone to notice? (with pics)

Options
You know, I might be shallow but I can see the scales nudging downward and see my clothes fitter looser. But, regardless, it's when I get the unsolicited "Wow! You've lost weight!" that I get really happy inside!

I've read that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference in your body, 8 weeks for family to notice and 12 weeks for others to notice. There must be some truth to that because I'm approaching the 12 week mark and, in ONE day, I got THREE (count 'em THREE :D )) separate compliments from co-workers on my weight loss!

I started my weight loss journey on 8/14/13 with MFP and I've lost right at 28 pounds so far. I started at 222; this morning I weighed 194. I'm 40 yrs old and I'm 5'7" tall.

So, have you started getting compliments on your hard work? If so, (and I certainly hope so - this stuff ain't easy!) When did you start to get those remarks? Post pics if you've got them! I love to see progress pics.

Here is my progress so far:

Starting on 8/14/13 @ 222 pounds:
81413front2_zpsbde139b7.jpg81413side2_zps9cb18b3a.jpg

Currently - 10/05/13 @ 194 pounds:
100413front_zpsfcdac5e9.jpg100413side_zps5caf22e4.jpg

Replies

• reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are doing great!
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    Congrats on your progress.
    I started getting comments around 40lbs lost. These all came from people I don't know well. The first ones to notice were my neighbor's adult daughter or helpers at my children's school. I was pushing the 50lbs lost before any family members actually said anything about my weight.
  • juanita0991963
    juanita0991963 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look good, proud of you look (: keep up the good work. I haven't had anyone notice yet.
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress!! I can definitely see change!! I think sometimes we know the progress is there, but we also keep wearing our baggy clothes, so people can't really tell :) I'm on week 6 of T25 and the only people that really notice the change are the people who know I'm busting my butt lol. Here's my progress pics

2m3k5s9.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I didn't really get much in the way of comments until about 20 Lbs down. I've lost 40ish altogether and my second 20 was far more dramatic in RE to the way I actually look and people commenting.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A co-worker noticed first, at 15 pounds lost. Tons of people started commenting at 25 pounds lost.
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress!
  • KeKy4
    KeKy4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's great! It's been 15 weeks for me and almost 23 pounds and nobody has noticed or mentioned it yet! :( Hoping my day comes soon! Enjoy it! You deserve it!
  • bhattarai_mahesh
    bhattarai_mahesh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome can I add you as fren ?
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You are rocking it!
  • nehmon
    nehmon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Awsome, you are doing well.
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel and its definitely what I get a kick from...

I am abit obsessive and weigh in every week (most days inbetween just to have a look but don't read into it until the official one) and see 2lb drops but there is nothing better than when somebody stops you to say how good you look etc.
  • Susiiiie
    Susiiiie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its not that people don't notice your weight loss, some just don't want to say anything for many different reasons. Some because they maybe aren't 100% sure, some because they don't want to risk hurting your feelings (for some its like saying - hey you were fat before, but not so much anymore) and some because they are jealous. I also noticed that it helps to get new better fitting clothes if you want others to notice! ;)
    I had a lot of close friends (them who knew about my journey) saying very nice things from the beginning, others noticed (or dared to say something ;) haha) around -20kg (-44 pounds)
    Now that i am around -30kgs (66 pounds) i can't get people to stop noticing :P
  • goldarae
    goldarae Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!! What a great difference =)
  • hwenzler
    hwenzler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It took 60 lbs for anyone to notice and still didn't have a ton of people. Now that I'm down 86 lbs and under 200lbs, people seem to tell me all the time. I might be wrong, but the more you have to lose, the longer it take for people to notice.
  • mhoss101
    mhoss101 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think many times, people don't want to say anything, even though they notice. I had a coworker ask if I was losing weight and when I said yes, he was like.. I thought so but didn't want to say anything.. you know..

Also, if we are wearing the same clothes because we are at that awkward stage where we can't go down a size just yet, its hard to tell.

But pics don't lie and you look great! Keep up the good work!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its not that people don't notice your weight loss, some just don't want to say anything for many different reasons. Some because they maybe aren't 100% sure, some because they don't want to risk hurting your feelings (for some its like saying - hey you were fat before, but not so much anymore)....

This is true...talking about another persons weight is right up there with religion and politics...
  • Marryparker
    Options
    Congratulations u look great :)
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well done you look fab!! Keep up the great work, as you know, the compliments are really worth it :-) People started noticing on me after my first 10lb, they came off quite quickly and my weight comes off my tummy and arms first so it was probably more noticable! It was only my close friends/family who noticed though. Now, a lot of people notice and it is a great feeling when someone says "have you lost weight??"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!