Lose body fat - not muscle mass - how much protein?

Options
I'm 41 yr. old male, 5'10". neck 17", waist at navel 42", hips 41" ,measurements taken at 194 lbs. I've dropped a few pounds since. :)
Anyway my main goal is to lose body fat - my body fat% is over 27%. Ideally I want to keep if not gain muscle mass - not looking to be a bodybuilder just to be strongly healthy. I'm doing calisthenics to help with strength and flexibility.

Anyway I noticed that the default settings for me when I entered I wanted to lose 1/2 lb of weight a week are to eat around 80 grams of Protein. I've since read on different sites that I should be eating 1 gram of protein for every lb of weight. so that means I should be eating 190 grams of protein.

I'm guessing that this discrepancy between 80 grams and 190 grams of protein consumption is because I entered I want to lose weight - whereas I'm really looking to lose body fat, losing some weight is perhaps going to be a by-product and is not the prime goal.

So how much protein should I REALLY be looking to eat given that I will be exercising. I might even start some strength work at some point - for which I will need more protein I imagine.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A slight caloric deficit diet (0.5 to 1lb/week loss goal) that has adequate protein,and a heavy lifting strength training program. essentially aim for 10.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Since you are 194 @27% that would be 142 lbs of lbm so aim for a minimum of 113 grams of protein preferably 142.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You can manually change your macro goals! If you feel you need more or you want more maybe just manually change it? Or just don't worry about that number being red at the end of the day. More protein won't hurt.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I posted basically this exact same thread yesterday. So I'm interested.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and hope to see some answers / ideas. I don't want to lose anymore weight but would like to burn fat and increase muscle size / strength at the same time, if that's even possible. I do a boot camp class 3 and lift 3 days a week, and run 3 days a week .

Male
    6'1"
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The 1 g of protein per pound of body weight only works for people who are a normal weight. If you weigh 300 pounds (as an example), you don't need 300 g of protein because probably half of that is fat.

I was told to get 1 g of protein per pound of *goal* weight and some sites say per pound of lean body mass. This is only if you are working out like an athlete though.

And I second the recommendation to strength train. You need to use your muscles so your body doesn't think they are available to break down for calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and hope to see some answers / ideas. I don't want to lose anymore weight but would like to burn fat and increase muscle size / strength at the same time, if that's even possible. I do a boot camp class 3 and lift 3 days a week, and run 3 days a week .

Male
    6'1"

The method is to not have too large of a weight loss goal, and eat enough protein as post above spell out.

Aim for no more than 0.7% weekly weight loss, or about 1.5 lbs. Until you keep dropping, then lower the goal.

Now, if that weight loss selection has you below your BMR, forget it, can't build any muscle or really repair well if body has to slow metabolism down because of underfeeding.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I love protein and meat in any form, so as much as possible? It cannot do any harm if you don't have kidney issues and stuff, so go for it!
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys and gals some good advice here. Yeah seems to make sense that it's a gram per per pound of lean body mass but maybe as I'm not doing any out and out strenght trainign yet i don't need quite that much.

At the minute I'm alternating between walking one day and jogging (well beginner's jogging - using the couch to 5k program) and some basic calisthenics.

So maybe anything like 114 to 142 grams a day like Eric suggested would be ok do you think?

Are there any convenient - as in grab and eat snack foods - rather than cooking- that are high in protein but low in carbs and fat?
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    It's 1g per pound for athlete's. If you are doing light exercise you don't need that much.

If you are increasing protein intake make sure it is from whole sources, not shakes/supplements and the like.
    Greek yogurt, nitrate free lunch meat, eggs made in muffin tins, grilled chicken, etc.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1g/lb lean mass is a good starting point. Even if you're not bodybuilding, you may find it beneficial to maintain higher levels of protein anyways, as some people prefer it from a satiety standpoint, and it isn't harmful to overconsume assuming your calories are still under control. Lastly, you'll have a marginal (but often over-stated) thermogenic effect from higher protein intake.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Lift weights! Unless you're taking something to increase your muscle mass, it won't get that much bigger! Even with tons of protein, the muscle will probably be smaller (but not less mass) than you are currently. But you sure can get ripped! Go for it! Enjoy it. I find days I get enough protein, I don't hurt as much post workout. Your body will let you know if you get enough!

A lot of the guys on here are really ripped, so listen to them! ;)
  • bazfitness
    Options
    1g/lb lean mass is a good starting point. Even if you're not bodybuilding, you may find it beneficial to maintain higher levels of protein anyways, as some people prefer it from a satiety standpoint, and it isn't harmful to overconsume assuming your calories are still under control. Lastly, you'll have a marginal (but often over-stated) thermogenic effect from higher protein intake.

cheers sidesteal. I think I'm going to find it difficult to eat that much protein. Since I've cut out bread, chocolate, cake and alcohol I'm actually finding it difficult to eat enough proper food to make up my daily calories period tbh :).
    Ii think what I'm going to do is keep my settign at 1/2 lb aweek wight loss but up the protein form it's default of 15% to 20% and try to at least eat that much. Going to have to readjust this diet a bit :)
  • bazfitness
    Options
    Lift weights! Unless you're taking something to increase your muscle mass, it won't get that much bigger! Even with tons of protein, the muscle will probably be smaller (but not less mass) than you are currently. But you sure can get ripped! Go for it! Enjoy it. I find days I get enough protein, I don't hurt as much post workout. Your body will let you know if you get enough!

A lot of the guys on here are really ripped, so listen to them! ;)

Thanks lizard. Actually I've started feeling a bit weak today - the 4th day of my diet - probably due to the lack of protein so yeah going to try to get some more for sure.

If anyone can recommend any convenient snack also that'd be great! :)
  • ssgirly73
    Options
    Hard boiled egg with salsa on it,nuts are great and Greek non fat yogurt...beef jerky too but watch the sodium if your not drinking like 3 liters of water a day
  • shaw131
    shaw131 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 yr. old male, 5'10". neck 17", waist at navel 42", hips 41" ,measurements taken at 194 lbs. I've dropped a few pounds since. :)
    Anyway my main goal is to lose body fat - my body fat% is over 27%. Ideally I want to keep if not gain muscle mass - not looking to be a bodybuilder just to be strongly healthy. I'm doing calisthenics to help with strength and flexibility.

Anyway I noticed that the default settings for me when I entered I wanted to lose 1/2 lb of weight a week are to eat around 80 grams of Protein. I've since read on different sites that I should be eating 1 gram of protein for every lb of weight. so that means I should be eating 190 grams of protein.

I'm guessing that this discrepancy between 80 grams and 190 grams of protein consumption is because I entered I want to lose weight - whereas I'm really looking to lose body fat, losing some weight is perhaps going to be a by-product and is not the prime goal.

So how much protein should I REALLY be looking to eat given that I will be exercising. I might even start some strength work at some point - for which I will need more protein I imagine.

Because of your body fat percentage I would use your lean body mass weight as your starting point when estimating your required protein intake.

If you want that “toned” “ripped” look the goal is to lose fat while maintaining your muscle mass. If you’ve got access to an accurate way of tracking you weigh and body fat percentage this is perfect for tracking your progress.

It is always best to eat as much as possible while still, consistently, losing weight. This will help fuel your workouts and keep your metabolism and muscle mass in check. If you’re feeling drained you may want to up your carbohydrates. If you start off quite low the weight loss will slow and reducing your calorie intake even further will make you feel worse.

If you find you are losing muscle perhaps try 1.5x your lean body mass in protein but you must be stimulating your muscles with resistant training not killing them with endless cardio.

What is your fat and carb intake?